Tennis Thread

So, I'm getting old and fat (well, I'm already fat...and getting old...) and need something to get me off my ass.When I was younger I enjoyed tennis a lot. I was never particularly awesome at it, nor did I ever take any lessons or play in an organized league. Recently I've started thinking about getting back in to the game. I've contacted one of the local tennis clubs and am thinking about taking some lessons or getting involved in a recreational league.Does anyone have any advice? Anyone come back to the game after a 15+ year hiatus? Is this just a bad idea overall?? lol

It's a great idea.Tennis is called the sport of a lifetime for a reason.I've played for over 30 years and I'm 45 now. I've seen many players come back after long stretches away from the game and get back into it. I mostly play doubles now and there are players in their 60's who can compete with College players still on the doubles court. Of course those old guys are ex Davis Cuppers and tour players.Ease into it and don't try and play too much too quickly. You'll be using muscles that you haven't used in a long time even if you're doing other physical things.Have fun and find other players who play at about your level and get out there.

• 1 month later...

i played tennis a few weeks ago for the first time in probably 15 years. i never played seriously at any point in my life, just get out and smash it back and forth with my dad mostly, but it was a blast when i played recently. played doubles with 2 girls and one guy, they all play more than i do, but i was better than 2 out of the 3. one of the chicks was kinda bummed out because she's been taking lessons for a couple years and i was way better than her. that's right, i'm better than one of 2 girls!!!! wootand yeah, my knee was sore for about 3 days after i played....old and broken down :club: