We as poker players tend to live very unhealthy lives. Whether its traveling the circuit, or playing in our offices, eating right and getting fit isn’t at the top of the pecking order for us. Eating burgers or ordering in often takes precedence because we don’t really have time to make something healthy. Rewind six years. I’m sitting in my small bedroom in college playing 30 dollar sngs on PartyPoker( oh the days!). Drinking a 12 pack of Mountain dew every other day and ordering in at least twice a day. I can probably count on my hand the amount of home cooked meals I had those first couple years when I started to take poker seriously. I went from a fit 180 lbs to a disgusted 250 . As my weight crept higher, my confidence and self esteem got lower. I went from being never sick to always having a cough or sore throat. I can still remember the day and where I was at, even where the scale was located in my friends bathroom when I weighed myself and it said 246.9 lbs. That was the turning point for me, I said enough is enough, its time to get in shape. I started going to the gym, cut out regular soda and if I was going to eat out it would be a healthier option. Perhaps a salad instead of a burger, or if I was going to a place that was unhealthy I would cut down on my portion size.When I started going to the gym I realized my self esteem was getting higher and I seemed to be more focused at the tables. Instead of rolling out of bed and starting up a session I would try to go get a decent sweat in at the gym before I started playing. It took a long time to lose the weight but I can say now that I feel better about myself then I have for a long time. You think clearer, feel healthier and just your overall quality of life improves.If Staying motivated is your problem then I have the answer for you. Prop bets! Ive had problems with controlling what I ate/ drank and how much because apparently I lack the self control to stop before it gets out of hand. Last year I had a drinking prop bet that didn’t allow myself or the person I was betting with drinks until New Years. Its been over a year since we’ve made that bet and I can say that Ive only drank once since we made that bet, and it was on New Years. Ive now added some of my other vices into similar prop bets to make myself healthier long term. From now until New Years I will have to pay 1000 dollars every time I eat at a fast food joint, have a pizza or eat cookies. I don’t care how good a McDonalds burger tastes, it's not worth a thousand dollars. Another one of my vices was Diet Pepsi. Though there are no calories in Dp, its still not as good for you as water. So I made a prop bet for a vacation that I wouldn’t drink another soda until New Years. I used to drink 4 or 5 Dps a day so it was tough at first but gets easier every day. Eventually your body adjusts and you feel a lot better about yourself. Playing poker for a living doesn’t have to be unhealthy, if we dedicate a fraction of the time to our bodies that we do on studying the game, we will live much longer, healthier lifes.If anyone has any questions on nutrition/ working out I can answer them or lead you to sources that have a wealth of information. I challenge you to eat better/ work out/ live healthier. If you are having problems getting started then prop bet your vices away!

i need to know how i can have a worse diet than that initial one (pretty much just add hot pockets and corn dogs twice a week) and still weigh 145.

I went through the same thing. My laziness is not just from poker, I'm just lazy in general. After college I ballooned from 175 to 240. I got down to about 225, then I made a prop bet that I couldn't lose 30 pounds in 75 days. I did it, I'm at 188 now and I have to fit some sort of exercise in every day.

I went through the same thing. My laziness is not just from poker, I'm just lazy in general. After college I ballooned from 175 to 240. I got down to about 225, then I made a prop bet that I couldn't lose 30 pounds in 75 days. I did it, I'm at 188 now and I have to fit some sort of exercise in every day.
Completely the same for me.

My weight stayed between 230-250 since about my mid 20's, I'm 6'4 so it didn't really look that bad. When I'd hit the 250ish mark it would be noticeable but never bugged me that much. After going through a divorce and some health issues I hit about 270lbs a year and a half ago or so and just looking in the mirror disgusted me. Almost immediately I changed my diet and began making a bigger effort to be active (never joined a gym or got work out stuff tho) it didn't take to long to notice a difference and I had the goal in mind of getting down to 230 and maintaining it...I never thought for a second I'd drop below that and I was okay with that however for the last few months I've stayed right around 210lbs and feel incredible...the self confidence boost for me has been huge and I've noticed a positive impact on almost every aspect of my life as a result.

My problem is I'm married to a woman who can cook great and I love to eat. I need to shed about 50-75 lbs. to be back at my ideal weight and I'm working on it. It sucks being on a "diet" and looking in the fridge and seeing all these fabulous leftovers and I have to settle for an apple or something.

My problem is I'm married to a woman who can cook great and I love to eat. I need to shed about 50-75 lbs. to be back at my ideal weight and I'm working on it. It sucks being on a "diet" and looking in the fridge and seeing all these fabulous leftovers and I have to settle for an apple or something.
Thats where the prop bet stuff comes into play. If being more healthy or skinny isn't enough motivation you need to find something that will motivate you.
We as poker players tend to live very unhealthy lives. Whether its traveling the circuit, or playing in our offices, eating right and getting fit isn’t at the top of the pecking order for us. Eating burgers or ordering in often takes precedence because we don’t really have time to make something healthy. Rewind six years. I’m sitting in my small bedroom in college playing 30 dollar sngs on PartyPoker( oh the days!). Drinking a 12 pack of Mountain dew every other day and ordering in at least twice a day. I can probably count on my hand the amount of home cooked meals I had those first couple years when I started to take poker seriously. I went from a fit 180 lbs to a disgusted 250 . As my weight crept higher, my confidence and self esteem got lower. I went from being never sick to always having a cough or sore throat. I can still remember the day and where I was at, even where the scale was located in my friends bathroom when I weighed myself and it said 246.9 lbs. That was the turning point for me, I said enough is enough, its time to get in shape. I started going to the gym, cut out regular soda and if I was going to eat out it would be a healthier option. Perhaps a salad instead of a burger, or if I was going to a place that was unhealthy I would cut down on my portion size.When I started going to the gym I realized my self esteem was getting higher and I seemed to be more focused at the tables. Instead of rolling out of bed and starting up a session I would try to go get a decent sweat in at the gym before I started playing. It took a long time to lose the weight but I can say now that I feel better about myself then I have for a long time. You think clearer, feel healthier and just your overall quality of life improves.If Staying motivated is your problem then I have the answer for you. Prop bets! Ive had problems with controlling what I ate/ drank and how much because apparently I lack the self control to stop before it gets out of hand. Last year I had a drinking prop bet that didn’t allow myself or the person I was betting with drinks until New Years. Its been over a year since we’ve made that bet and I can say that Ive only drank once since we made that bet, and it was on New Years. Ive now added some of my other vices into similar prop bets to make myself healthier long term. From now until New Years I will have to pay 1000 dollars every time I eat at a fast food joint, have a pizza or eat cookies. I don’t care how good a McDonalds burger tastes, it's not worth a thousand dollars. Another one of my vices was Diet Pepsi. Though there are no calories in Dp, its still not as good for you as water. So I made a prop bet for a vacation that I wouldn’t drink another soda until New Years. I used to drink 4 or 5 Dps a day so it was tough at first but gets easier every day. Eventually your body adjusts and you feel a lot better about yourself. Playing poker for a living doesn’t have to be unhealthy, if we dedicate a fraction of the time to our bodies that we do on studying the game, we will live much longer, healthier lifes.If anyone has any questions on nutrition/ working out I can answer them or lead you to sources that have a wealth of information. I challenge you to eat better/ work out/ live healthier. If you are having problems getting started then prop bet your vices away!
So your good advice is to gamble on not eating junk food. Just trading one vice for another is shitty advice. Thanks but no thanks. Good grief are seriously this mentally retarded. This many posts and this is the best you can come up with.How about you just man-up and eat healthier maybe hit the gym 3-5 days a week? The only motivation you should need is knowing you will most likely live longer and get to enjoy this wonderful world for a few more years than you would if u would continue stuffing your face full of PHAT burgers.
How about you just man-up and eat healthier maybe hit the gym 3-5 days a week? The only motivation you should need is knowing you will most likely live longer and get to enjoy this wonderful world for a few more years than you would if u would continue stuffing your face full of PHAT burgers.
Studies show that the rat that eats the bad food pellet and is given a mild electric shock is less likely to eat the bad food pellet again than the rat that eats the bad food pellet and is killed three years later.It's science.
So your good advice is to gamble on not eating junk food. Just trading one vice for another is shitty advice. Thanks but no thanks. Good grief are seriously this mentally retarded. This many posts and this is the best you can come up with.How about you just man-up and eat healthier maybe hit the gym 3-5 days a week? The only motivation you should need is knowing you will most likely live longer and get to enjoy this wonderful world for a few more years than you would if u would continue stuffing your face full of PHAT burgers.
LOL
jesus h christ you are a douche. the douchiest douche of them all
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH now I know why I hate Joe Mauer even more than I should.
Really Herly? I would expect more from a fellow minnesnowdian
GTFO Troll.For the record, yes this is the post I intended to quote.EDIT: I was going to edit my post to make it less abrasive, but then I realized that I meant every word of it and instead added this line.

So herly trolled.I'm a huge fan of the 1st two thirds of this post TJ. Honestly though, while your advice is great for people without self-control, I want to recommend that people really really REALLY try and better themselves FOR THEIR OWN BETTERMENT.I agree that prop betting is a great way to mentally force yourself to do things you feel that you can't otherwise achieve.That is a very medicated treatment though, essentially overusing one vice to quell another. I mean the ends justify the means I suppose. That said if you are reading this, I implore you to do every single thing in your power to overcome any physical or mental life issues through your own strength and will power. Doing this will make you an infinitely better person on the other side.If you pay 1k per fast food meal, sure you'll stop eating fast food. Ends justify the means.....But if you abstain from fast food, or IMO better yet just only eat poor once a week, or once a month (whatever works for you) you will be able to truly own your results, truly take accomplishment in what you are doing. Quite honestly, I think that will take you long way.Just one guy's opinion.That said I'm 100% on board with the entire first half of the post. Personal health makes a material difference at the felt or e-felt.

Judging by how many fat asses there are out there clearly thats not enough motivation.As for the op TJ hit this one out of the park. Improving your diet and being more active will probally improve your game(and pretty much every other aspect of your life) more than any training site, book or poker forum. assuming you already have a good grasp of the game of course. I noticed more mental stamina and a lot fewer "give up" plays deep in tourneys since I started to get my shit together. oh and in before Rose tells us her life story again.
So herly trolled.I'm a huge fan of the 1st two thirds of this post TJ. Honestly though, while your advice is great for people without self-control, I want to recommend that people really really REALLY try and better themselves FOR THEIR OWN BETTERMENT.I agree that prop betting is a great way to mentally force yourself to do things you feel that you can't otherwise achieve.That is a very medicated treatment though, essentially overusing one vice to quell another. I mean the ends justify the means I suppose. That said if you are reading this, I implore you to do every single thing in your power to overcome any physical or mental life issues through your own strength and will power. Doing this will make you an infinitely better person on the other side.If you pay 1k per fast food meal, sure you'll stop eating fast food. Ends justify the means.....But if you abstain from fast food, or IMO better yet just only eat poor once a week, or once a month (whatever works for you) you will be able to truly own your results, truly take accomplishment in what you are doing. Quite honestly, I think that will take you long way.Just one guy's opinion.That said I'm 100% on board with the entire first half of the post. Personal health makes a material difference at the felt or e-felt.
Agreed that it sucks to use one " vice " to cure another, but I guess its not really a vice because I'll never lose the bet. Its essentially just giving people freerolls so that I can improve my own life. I know long term it will make me a better person but when I'm thinking short term all im thinking about is what I want this second(OMG PIZZA AND COOKIES NOM NOM NOM NOM)
Agreed that it sucks to use one " vice " to cure another, but I guess its not really a vice because I'll never lose the bet. Its essentially just giving people freerolls so that I can improve my own life. I know long term it will make me a better person but when I'm thinking short term all im thinking about is what I want this second(OMG PIZZA AND COOKIES NOM NOM NOM NOM)
I'm totally on board with the main point.My stance is just because the bet is a lock doesn't make it any less of a bet. You're still using the bet as a means. There's nothing wrong with that. I just think it will be a lot more fulfilling and more longstanding for personal life betterment if one can do this through their own will. Again, nothing wrong with prop betting your fitness if that's your desire, but I just feel you lose out on some of the mental/physical rewards by propping. That said if nothing else is working, I'm 100% behind it. Well done by the way sir. That was a big hole you dug yourself, be proud of your results/hard work.The other recommendation is to always keep track of yourself, so you don't blink and gain 10 pounds, then blink again and have gained 30, and blink one more time and be up 50. If you keep track of yourself, you CAN eat like crap sometimes, and can gorge every now and again, but still retain your ideal life.

Didn't mean to come off douchey, just kinda bummed that FCP has turned so lame these days. It's all Lurbz fault anyways.In the end its all about will power. You either have it or you don't.