losing/winning gracefully

How does everyone handle that end of a tournament situation. I usually am angry when I lose, never at the person who busted me (although I don't think my all-in short stacked with K7c from the button should have been called by the bb with J6o) but at myself for getting into a situation where I made some bad plays or another player out drew me. I don't act like an ass when I go out, I just get up and walk away quietly. I'm just courious how others deal with being busted out. I also win quietly, never trying to draw attention to myself or embarassing my opponent.

When I bust out of a trny, I usually tell the person nice hand (no matter what it was), wish everyone at the table goodluck, tell anyone bye the I was talking to and getting to be friends with, and shake whoevers hand that sticks there hand out as I'm getting up. When I get home, I pull out my notebook, write down and go over every mistake I made, beat myself up over them for a little, then learn from them.

Online trny...... hmmmm I usually throw my computer through a wall and then go stick my tongue in electrical sockets...lol not really.I will usually just have them send me a hand history for the trny for me to add to pokertracker, then close out and go find something else to do since I'm usually not in the mood to play poker anymore after busting out of a big trny. If I had some friends at my trny table or playing in the trny, I'll stick around and talk to them for a little before logging off

When I get knocked out of a tournament I usually nod my head and say nice hand to whoever knocked me out (If it wasn't a nice hand, then I know it and the other good players at the table know it, no need to shout it out and make myself look bad). I then stand up and, like ChaoPlayaz, shake the hands of the players I have become friends with and sometimes watch a few of them of the ones I've not quite befriended yet, but have chatted with a bit. I find that the next tournament I play with them, I have found a new friend. :D When I get home I do the same thing...take out my notebook and analyze my play and fight out where I went wrong, then get in bed and lie awake for about 2-3 hours. Like it was said in another thread...it's hard to sleep after a game!

I wish I could say I take it like a gentleman, but honestly, for some reason the last few weeks I have been getting heckled by the same guy or guys who ened up busting me out. It makes it alot harder to be a nice guy about it. It's just not me to report anything to the site, but it really does make it hard when im raising or calling an all in with a solid hand, only to have some guy with a chip lead call me with rags to get the change to bust me and get lucky. Then he gives me crap about it. I know I should just let it roll off my back, but again, its tough sometimes. So I guess I wouldnt be the right one to answer this one for you, haha

How does everyone handle that end of a tournament situation.  I usually am angry when I lose, never at the person who busted me (although I don't think my all-in short stacked with K7c from the button should have been called by the bb with J6o) but at myself for getting into a situation where I made some bad plays or another player out drew me.  I don't act like an ass when I go out, I just get up and walk away quietly.  I'm just courious how others deal with being busted out.  I also win quietly, never trying to draw attention to myself or embarassing my opponent.
The best is when I got knocked out of a tourney in 87th place. Raise early position by a player who will raise with any paint rag. I push in with my 2 black aces A :) A :D . He calls with Q :) 5 :) . The flop? Q52. the board didn't pair again and I missed my last 2 aces. To be honest, I just said, "Nice hand" and didn't really give him any crap about it. My buddy at the table with me did however. "How the hell do you make a call for almost all of your chips with Q5 suited?!". His reply, "Felt lucky...". I actually almost liked that reply enough to not have a sour taste left in my mouth.The one time I did kind of turn a bit Hellmuthish is when someone called my bluff down to the river with 4 high and caught a pair on the river. That just made me want to kill him. I actually was bluffing with the best hand, K high. He called me down and won. I just looked over and said, "You were calling my bluff with 4 high...?" His reply, "Who has the chips?!". I took him out about 2 hours later and said, "Now who's got the chips? Bye." I kind of feel bad about losing my composure, but still, that guy was just pissing EVERYONE off.

When I win I shake the hand of the runner-up and say "Good game" If I am the unfortunate and I lose whether its last place or runner-up I might say something like "Wow that sucks!" shake the hand of whoever knocked me out and I will probably become all time dealer and help the game move a little faster. At night though... I will think of everything that went wrong and stay up a lot later than I would. I am still thinking about a previous hand that happened almost a month ago!

It really depends on the situation.... I've had times where I've wanted to pull a Hellmuth hehe.... I mean who calls a raise with 92o from middle position when I move all-in.... I mean you can't be happy about losing on a hand like that when you have AA in the hole....That said I definitely don't throw a tantrum. Sometimes in the privacy of my own home in an online bad beat i might throw a keyboard or two :wink:

It really depends on the situation.... I've had times where I've wanted to pull a Hellmuth hehe.... I mean who calls a raise with 92o from middle position when I move all-in.... I mean you can't be happy about losing on a hand like that when you have AA in the hole....That said I definitely don't throw a tantrum.  Sometimes in the privacy of my own home in an online bad beat i might throw a keyboard or two  :wink:
hahah seriouslydealt to IvanXDurham [Ac] [Ad]IvanXDurham raises to 500Luv2QuoteRounders69 raises all-inIvanXDurham callsLuv2QuoteRounders69 shows [Qs][3s] ("I was sooooooooted"[hellmuth] "what is going on here??" [/hellmuth]

lol[hellmuth]How can he call with Q3s!?!?!? The odds against his hand were like 50000000000000000 to 1.... Geesh. I can't get a break.... This is ridiculous. I raised him pre-flop and he comes over top of me. I couldn't play the hand better. And he shows Q3s!!!!!!! Wah wah wah[/hellmuth]All kidding aside, I just think Phil has hit some bad times and unfortunately the media lubberz showing his tantrums on TV. Some people take their beats quietly, others like to verbalize their analysis.... I really truely think Phil does respect the game and the players and he does play sound poker.

Cashinnow,I think that the way I handle knockouts has been a progression. Early on, I didn't know enough to be angry. Then, I figured out when I had the best of it and blew my top a few times. Back then, poker tended to stress me out. A couple of years ago, my wife told me that she didn't like to be around when I came home from a losing session or a tournament bust. This shocked me. We are best friends and I was affecting her with my baggage. Since then, I do the following:Bust occurs... I sit there for a moment and play the hand over in my mind. If I made a mistake, I make a mental note and file it away. If it was a bad beat, I let it go right there and thank everybody for the game. There is absolutely nothing I can do about these beats. I can only fix my mistakes, any comment good or bad about the beat only makes my competition stronger. If I dwell on it, it only makes me the weaker (and unhappy) player.Thanks for your post, interesting topic!Cheers,Mike

I am so cool with everyone, saying all of the right things, smiling and wishing everyone well.Inside my head, I am having the biggest temper tantrum that makes Phil Hellmuth look calm, cool and collected.Then a few moments of that insanity in my head, I start beating myself up and replaying every hand, trying to figure out my mistakes.One thing I have realized is that I will never be able to buy a pot. Too many male players will call me just because I am a woman even when they have garbage in their hands. So sometimes they get lucky on the flop and other times they feel like a fool when I show my pocket aces and there is another ace on the board.

• 2 weeks later...

i will handle it like a gentleman.....on the outside lol..on the inside im dying ....i know all the pros say to maintain your composure, and i agree thats the right way to be..thats one of the things that seperates them from players like me,,they can keep cool and get over a bad beat while i stew over it for a few hands...i dont get mad or say anything rude i say nice hand and fry on the inside...i hate when i make the right play and get beat by a fish making a stupid call or hitting a miracle on the river... but thats poker,. we live by the card we die by the card...important thing is to not let my ego get in the way and go on tilt....which i have been good at avoiding,,,<knock on wood>

I try to take everything like a gentleman. If someone busts me by catching their gut-shot on the river, I normally make a comment like, "Do you call an all-in often with nothing but a gut shot?" I don't try to pick fights or get everyone riled up, I'm just real competitive and hate it when I get busted by a huge underdog who shouldn't have been in the hand. If I have pocket K's and lose to pocket Q's I'm not mad, they had a good hand and probably assumed they had the best hand when they called on the turn or river, but it's those gut-shots and flush draws that rile me up inside.

I almost lost my cool at a recent 20-player tourney. It was down to heads-up, and had gotten that way because my opponent had busted two players for their entire stacks in one hand. So I was down in chips about 9 to 1, with about 10x big blind (there were a lot of chips in play). I had 8h9h in the big blind, and just checked when he called. The flop came 4h 6h 8s, and with top pair and a flush draw I pushed all my chips in. Then this is what the guy did:He checked his hole cards. Looked at me. Checked again. Looked at me. Then he said loudly enough for the six or seven by-standers to hear, "Let me just check my hole cards one more time, because if I have what I think I have then this tournament is over." Then, instead of calling and turning his cards over, he started showing his cards to the by-standers. Finally, I asked, "What's your play?," and he said "Oh, I definitely call. Sorry, you just picked a bad time," and flipped over a 5 7 for the straight and slapped me on the back. He hadn't seen my cards yet, and hadn't anticipated that a heart would give me the flush, but when I flipped my cards over he started talking about how I bet into him at a bad time and how he could use the tournament money. The turn came 9, leaving me two 8s, two 9s and any heart in the deck as possible outs. The turn came blank, and he said, "Good thing you didn't suck out on me or I might have had to play serious." He added: "I usually win these things, but I didn't expect it to be this easy."I went off on him for belittling his opponents and then looking for fanfare before making the call he knew he was going to make. When I left, he proved that he had missed the point by calling out, "People who can't handle losing shouldn't play." Anyway, my thinking is that, if you're going to call, the next person to see your hole cards after you should be your opponent... not the railbirds, their grandmothers, their second-cousin's best friend or their pets. Any showmanship at the expense of your opponent, like ceremoniously checking your hole cards three times, deserves a slap in the face. And calling any opponent "easy" is unnecessary, whether it's true or not.

It's all about being gracious, cool, calm, and collective. Losing is just as big of a part of the gane as winning, and it happens to everyone.If/when I'm busted out of a tournament, I give the same response everytime.1) Tap the table with your hand a coupla times2) "Nice hand".3) Shake hands4) Walk awayThen when you get back to your room you can get all pissed off if you want to, but do it in your privacy. :D

i have seen a trend in players behaving badly even when winning hands..belittling a player for a call or talking smack when winning a big pot..with the popularity of poker skyrocketing,we are gonna get ppl intp the game that now think its the "hip.cool." thing to do...the good part is getting there money wont be hard the bad part is their poker etiquette...i only hope they pick up the right way to behave from more seasoned and well mannered players..i only hope these newbies to the game will give the game and its players the respect it truly deserves...

• 4 months later...