Best Bigs In The Nba

I was just watching the Raptor - Charlotte game where Chris Bosh put the team on his back with some Garnett like intensity and a 30 point 15 rebound effort and it got me thinking who are the best Big Men in the NBA.I think the current definition of Guard, Forward and Center should be changed to Point, Perimeter and Big.In no particular order these are the top few big men in the league today that I came up with. What do you think.Dwight HowardTim DuncanChris BoshKevin GarnettAmare StoudemireDirk NowitskiHonorable mention to Yao Ming

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just watching the Raptor - Charlotte game where Chris Bosh put the team on his back with some Garnett like intensity and a 30 point 15 rebound effort and it got me thinking who are the best Big Men in the NBA.I think the current definition of Guard, Forward and Center should be changed to Point, Perimeter and Big.In no particular order these are the top few big men in the league today that I came up with. What do you think.Dwight HowardTim DuncanChris BoshKevin GarnettAmare StoudemireDirk NowitskiHonorable mention to Yao Ming
i would value yao ahead of dirk in a 'big-man' cat.how about shaq? what exactly is a big-man supossed to accomplish? i assume FG%, REBS, BLKS and PTS..FT%?AST?leadership?
Yea, not sure Dirk counts as a big but if he does...1) Howard2) Stoudemire3) Garnett4) Dirk5) Bosh6) Duncan
Yea, not sure Dirk counts as a big but if he does...1) Howard2) Stoudemire3) Garnett4) Dirk5) Bosh6) Duncan
This would be my list with Stoudemire possibly being 1.
Big pictures I don't want to have to scroll through again after quoting this
dunk.JPG;)1) Timmy D - This guy has done it all and is consistently amazing when his team needs it2) KG - Anything is possible3) Amare - I'd say offensively the best big man around right now, D needs a lot of work though4) Dwight - I think he's still raw and needs quite a bit of offensive development. I'll admit that I'm yet to see him this season though5) Bosh - This guy keeps getting better and better6) Big Al Jefferson - An offensive powerhouse, probably the best low-post scorer in the game right now. But he's a defensive liability, especially at CenterI think much of the above list is pretty interchangeable. Stats wise STAT, Dwight and Bosh will likely be top three. But I don't think people like KG and Duncan can be slept on for not always getting the biggest numbers but for the Defense, Atmosphere and Intangibles brought every night.Others in no order:ShaqYaoPauDirkSheedElton BrandHmm, my mind has suddenly gone blank. I feel like I'm missing somebody.
1) Timmy D - This guy has done it all and is consistently amazing when his team needs it2) KG - Anything is possible3) Amare - I'd say offensively the best big man around right now, D needs a lot of work though4) Dwight - I think he's still raw and needs quite a bit of offensive development. I'll admit that I'm yet to see him this season though5) Bosh - This guy keeps getting better and better6) Big Al Jefferson - An offensive powerhouse, probably the best low-post scorer in the game right now. But he's a defensive liability, especially at Center
Other than me you're the only one who gives Duncan any respect. I don't get it. If I had to pick a big man to give me the best chance of winning today, I go TD all the way.You probably haven't seen Amare this year yet either, his D has picked up dramatically.Howard needs A LOT of offensive development, I see no improvement from last year.I like you're list though, closest thing to mine.

For those of you saying Howard needs to develop an offensive game...not sure why it matters. Him and Stoudemire are unstoppable getting to the rim. Much like Shaq (or those saying Lebron needs to learn to shoot better), it doesn't matter if he isn't complete. I mean, it's not like we're talking about an average player that needs to develop a part of their game to become a good or great player. Think Raja Bell developing a three point shot...he was a fringe NBA player until he learned to hit open shots, now he's a mainstay in the league. These guys aren't Raja Bell pre-jump shot. They are absolute beasts and it doesn't matter if they can't shoot.However, I'll respect Duncan and KG at the top your lists even though I don't agree with it. By almost every statistical measure, Amere and Howard are 1-2. That being said, there are things done on the court that can't be quantified, more so in basketball than any other sport (ie there is no way to measure team defense, an essential piece to winning). THAT being said, I'm still taking Amere and Howard at this point in their career over TD, and to be honest it isn't really close.

For those of you saying Howard needs to develop an offensive game...not sure why it matters. Him and Stoudemire are unstoppable getting to the rim. Much like Shaq (or those saying Lebron needs to learn to shoot better), it doesn't matter if he isn't complete. I mean, it's not like we're talking about an average player that needs to develop a part of their game to become a good or great player. Think Raja Bell developing a three point shot...he was a fringe NBA player until he learned to hit open shots, now he's a mainstay in the league. These guys aren't Raja Bell pre-jump shot. They are absolute beasts and it doesn't matter if they can't shoot.However, I'll respect Duncan and KG at the top your lists even though I don't agree with it. By almost every statistical measure, Amere and Howard are 1-2. That being said, there are things done on the court that can't be quantified, more so in basketball than any other sport (ie there is no way to measure team defense, an essential piece to winning). THAT being said, I'm still taking Amere and Howard at this point in their career over TD, and to be honest it isn't really close.
Not really because good teams take away what you do best. Howard gets most of his points off of his guards penetrating and offensive rebounds. You can't throw it to him on the block and expect him to score unless he already has great position, which is the biggest reason Orlando can't make that leap to a contending team.Amare on the other hand is the complete package, especially now that he's a decent defensive player now, or at least has been to start this season. I had Duncan and him 1-2.

I've seen the Suns once and it was the opener against the Spurs so I guess I didn't really see much as I was mainly enthralled with the contest between Shaq and TD, however Amare basically got torched every time he was on Duncan. I'm also guessing but I'd say that Amare's defensive problems are probably masked more with Shaq next to him rather than Marion and he can do a better job blocking weakside. Cubs, I definately see where you're coming from, and that list, especially the top 4, could really be in any order and I wouldn't be arguing. But I still think that Dwight is a product of today's need for superstars, and he does a very good job of camping in the paint on both ends. I mean, it isn't hard to catch the ball at the rim when you're standing in the paint for 7 seconds. I'm excited for just how much potential he does have though, if he could really get maybe a little hook and up-and-under going. Wow.Poppy, how has Bynum been performing compared to your expectations so far? I mean ESPN has basically made him the massive hype machine he has become, but how has he been and how do you expect him to affect everything?

Poppy, how has Bynum been performing compared to your expectations so far? I mean ESPN has basically made him the massive hype machine he has become, but how has he been and how do you expect him to affect everything?
He's been great. They're asking him to rebound and defend and he's been solid. He's really affecting games and has basically changed the way the rest of the team can play defense, because they know he's back there. He won't have impressive numbers, because they don't need him to be that guy. He's also added a pretty consistent 15 foot jumper. I'm very happy with where he's at.

Here's an amusing twist.. Playground Ball.. you got the first pick..1. ) KG2. ) Howard3. ) Duncan4. ) Amare5. ) Bosh2-4 is pretty close, but i'd have a hard time not picking KG first. He's be diving headfirst into the assphault for loose balls.

Here's an amusing twist.. Playground Ball.. you got the first pick..1. ) KG2. ) Howard3. ) Duncan4. ) Amare5. ) Bosh2-4 is pretty close, but i'd have a hard time not picking KG first. He's be diving headfirst into the assphault for loose balls.
plus making you cry with his trash talk and swearing
Ugh, I'm assuming that one of the guys you didn't pick you're playing against? If so, I'm not taking Howard. Bosh isn't there yet. I really want to take Amare, but not over TD or KG in a playground game even though he's the most talented player, I think. This is too hard. If the Lakers didn't make it last year, I was hoping we could get a Duncan Garnett Finals so we could answer this question. I think I go with Duncan.This is too hard of a question.

can't believe Boozer is getting no love...and when Yao is playing he's definitely up there. he creates so many problems that don't show up on the stat sheet.

can't believe Boozer is getting no love...and when Yao is playing he's definitely up there. he creates so many problems that don't show up on the stat sheet.
Anywhere Yao goes on the list, he's tied with Marcus Camby.. it's a dead heat factoring in their availability and their penchant for completely taking over big games.
Agree but Yao deserves to be up there. When healthy he puts up some stupid numbers.