Sorry, but Ellix Powers is a disrespectful jerk.

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 NickTheKid

NickTheKid

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,170 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Film, Script Writing

Posted 22 December 2004 - 02:12 PM

I can see why he did it, it doesn't make it right. I like to talk a little trash at the table sometimes, it's all in good fun with my buddies though... so it's hard to compare. But I never laugh at someone for playing a hand a certain way, I might question a persons actions but never go out to have a smoke and laugh my head off with my entourage. What was with those two people he had hanging on his back saying how great he was? Can someone say insecure..?

---
Happy trails, Hans.

#22 Smasharoo

Smasharoo

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 02:23 PM

I can see why he did it, it doesn't make it right. I like to talk a little trash at the table sometimes, it's all in good fun with my buddies though... so it's hard to compare. But I never laugh at someone for playing a hand a certain way, I might question a persons actions but never go out to have a smoke and laugh my head off with my entourage. What was with those two people he had hanging on his back saying how great he was? Can someone say insecure..?/shrug. Poker's a game of psychology. He clearly tilted McManus on that one hand, if he had been able to sustain that and play well while keeping another player playing poorly it'd have been something you could understand. On the other hand it's a good way to get punched by an irate player.

#23 LeeDanger

LeeDanger

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 309 posts
  • Interests:sports, poker, partying, economics

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:41 PM

I don't know if he's a jerk. The thing people have to realize is that this was televised. We all know that certain people will "hollywood" if they are on TV. I think that Ellix was just trying to have fun with the TV cameras and use his verbal comments to give him an edge. This is the WSOP after all, and his techniques worked, he had the table tilted so much. Did you realize how everyone called him when he was all in? McManus had 62 offusit for christ sake.
Awwwww, I almost have a straight!

#24 Smasharoo

Smasharoo

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:49 PM

Did you realize how everyone called him when he was all in?It's pretty common in a limit tournament for lots of people to call an all in to get better odds of someone hitting a hand that knocks a player out.It wasn't a NL tournamnet,

#25 doublesuited

doublesuited

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 03:58 PM

JaysonWeber said:

Although I've seen this as well, and he did come off as well... a jerk.  You can't always blame someone because of one TV Shoot like this, I guess it falls under the same category as Josh Arieh.  They made Josh come off as a total jerk, because they showed every scene in which he acted arrogant or was be-littleing the other players.  I'd be curious to know if he's been shown much more in other events? (Personally I can't think of any other events where I've more than him mentioned briefly).  But hey, in that episode he certainly did come off like that, if we see anymore in the future of him I'll be curious as to how he acts...Does anyone have any information regarding his personality other than what we've seen?
I've played with him in a cash game and the TV appearance is rather accurate depiction. if anything, he toned it down because he was playing with other pros. granted, in a middle limit game he did get in people's heads and caused them to play back at him for no reason
http://doublesuited.blogspot.com

My blog-- come by and say hi

#26 ivan

ivan

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 06:59 PM

I'm sure James McManus is a good guy and everything, and certainly his entertaining book should be read by all, but I saw the comment he made accusing Ellix Powers of "disrespecting the game" and felt a cringe of embarrassment for McManus. Mind you it was McManus's original article in Harper's that lead me to poker, so I owe him for enabling a new chapter in this strange, wonderful life I live, to be written. But that doesn't change the very likely possibility that McManus was expressing a degree of sublimated racism with his out-of-line comment. That was my immediate impression. (As an aside, when I first read the Harper's piece I was living a surreal cloistered existence in an old morgue, with 60,000 books, on an island on the west coast of Canada. The article turned on a light, so to speak. :D)

#27 Metaphysician

Metaphysician

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Poker, philosophy, computers

Posted 22 December 2004 - 07:35 PM

HUH! We agree on something(except for the racism part). It must be magic.

#28 ivan

ivan

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 08:28 PM

Go figure!! :D Note I said sublimated racism, but that's the impression I was left with. My thought was that Jim McManus subconsciously resented Ellix Powers's behavior at the table--from his obvious position of white privilege (wealthy, well-educated professor raised in an affluent suburb, Jesuit early schooling, etc.)--which McManus certainly occupies in relation to Powers's ethnicity, childhood poverty, and homeless background. In other words McManus perhaps felt Powers wasn't minding "his place" enough. McManus is no dummy, and probably caught himself immediately, hence his "it's a beautiful game, and I just feel he's..." contorted elaboration, which seemed even more out of place than the original outburst. Of course we can hypothesize all day and night. The truth could in fact be very different. Still, I was embarrassed for James MacManus.

#29 Metaphysician

Metaphysician

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Poker, philosophy, computers

Posted 22 December 2004 - 09:19 PM

Hmm. That could be.Or he could've just been annoyed Powers wasn't letting him play the game the way he wanted to.Players like Powers can be upsetting. You have to make big adjustments in your game.I think this would explain his elaboration equally well. He was trying to cover up the fact that Powers had completely thrown him off his game. Which seems to be the goal of Powers' style.But, as you said...

ivan said:

Of course we can hypothesize all day and night. The truth could in fact be very different.
At any rate, I think Powers IS good for poker. He shows people that the game isn't necessarily about being an unemotional, unresponsive statue.

#30 ivan

ivan

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 01:51 AM

Hmm. That could be.Or he could've just been annoyed Powers wasn't letting him play the game the way he wanted to.
Exactly. Or even a combination of both.

Players like Powers can be upsetting. You have to make big adjustments in your game.
Yeah. You mean obnoxious players. More of a nuisance than a concern are those "potentially violent" types who fume, snort and steam and practically dare you to drop that boat on their domes, after they made their flush on the turn.

At any rate, I think Powers IS good for poker. He shows people that the game isn't necessarily about being an unemotional, unresponsive statue.
Agreed. And if there is any truth in his reputed background as a homeless person then he deserves one hell of a lot of credit for his accomplishment in lifting himself out of what is almost invariably a cul de sac. There is something about the notion that we can sit in those total kitschy, yet luxurious buildings, in very comfortable chairs, no less, in heated comfort, and merely by paying close attention and applying various learned attributes -- and some pretty basic principles about probability -- potentially earn enough to feed and cloth and house one's self; especially when one considers what are often for many the closest alternatives. Anyone worked on an assembly line before? Or an oilrig? Fishing boat? Construction? Come on! :D Go Ellix Powers!

#31 rkard

rkard

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 07:01 PM

JaysonWeber said:

They made Josh come off as a total jerk, because they showed every scene in which he acted arrogant or was be-littleing the other players.  
Sorry but I'm not going to shed a tear for Josh Arieh. He behaved like a jerk then and deserves the rep. He's got plenty of time to redeem himself and show some good behaviour and decency towards other players.In Europe trash talking and such is not allowed which is why I feel rather strongly about people like Matusow and Arieh dumping a load of crap like this. Maybe he's a good guy in real life but what do I care? If he's being a jerk at the table he's being a jerk at the table.jerk jerk jerk jerk.. geez I don't never really use this word :)I guess I can't say w**ker.
"with a decent iron pipe you smack the whole world into awe."
Poker tard and semi-pro fighter.

#32 ivan

ivan

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 December 2004 - 07:09 PM

Sorry to be the last guy in, but what did this Josh Arieh say/do at the table?

#33 adamkadmon

adamkadmon

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:animals, poker,reading,gardening

Posted 24 December 2004 - 01:31 PM

I've played with mr. powers a few times and initially really thought he was a overbearing jerk. He even went so far as to get me off my game once or twice. After a while he tends to grow on you and can really come across as a gentleman, I think it's the old, " I'm really a pretty nice guy but I don't want you to know it because I'm here to play poker and win".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users