question to bet scary turn card with top set 5/10

For some reason I cant get the converter tool to work right so I posted this hand into pokerhand.org and have the link at the bottom. I really dont want you to know the result as I would like opinions first.I'll do my best to set it up.$5/$10 limit party pokerI am in mid position and dealt K :) K :) , 4 folds in front of me, I'm first in pot and of course raise, folds to button who calls, and small blind completes, 3 way action to the flop.Flop K :) 9 :) Q :club: giving me top set and an ugly board.SB checks, I bet, button reraises, SB folds, I call. (This was mistake #1, I know I should have popped back another raise here, not sure why I didnt, but moving on)Turn brings a terrible card the J :D leaving board of Flop K :D 9 :) Q :D J :) Question - do you check/raise here? bet/call? I chose to check/raise and then the button 3 bets back at me.Question - you have to call this or lay it down here?I chose to call. River comes a harmless 5 :) I check/called here.Here is the full hand as how it played out with the results, but again try to post your feedback before you look ... http://www.pokerhand.org/index.php?page=vi...iew&hand=101090TIA - dna

Well you mentioned it yourself, reraise the flop. The turn is scary but I'm leading out and calling a reraise, then check calling river.No reads here so it's tough, but villian could cold call 2 from button with a variety of hands, AK, though unlikely since 3 kings are out. AQ,AJ,AT which only AT is bad, or a flush, He could have a lower set, which was my first thought OR TT with a heart, if he's LAG, in which case most here would recomend reraising the turn, with so many outs to the boat. Heck KQ,QJ,TJ suited as well. With alot of straight and flush possibilities and alot of aggression, you probably played it fine.

How many people call 2 bets cold with AT offsuit? Even if I have the button I can not see any +EV way to call there. To be honest I never thought AT, I thought flush for sure or possible 2 pair. If he had a set theres a possibility he would have reraised preflop since it looked like it was going to be HU

3-bet the flop like you said. the hand plays much differently from there. your only behind J 10 on the flop and thats an unlikely holding for someone calling a pre-flop raise.

that flop must be three bet there, there is no question about that, and trust me, you aren't gonna be able to argue me out of that thought. I don't see the advantage of CRing the turn, as you will get three bet by anyone who has you beat right now. I'd lead/call there. then look to check/call the river

I'd lead/call there. then look to check/call the river
I like this advice better than what I posted in the comments section of the blog entry. But thinking about it some more, I also wouldn't mind a check/call on both the turn and river. If he doesn't have you beat on the turn, a check may induce him to bluff earning you a bet. If he DOES have you beat, a check saves you a bet. You only get raised here when you're beat I think.Assuming you raise the flop again, there's (if my math is right) 7BB in before the turn. If you lead and he raises the turn, you've got 10BB, which is WAY more than enough for you to call hoping to fill up. If you check the turn and he bets you're still getting 8-1. I vote check/call to the river. Someone please tell me how I'm wrong. :-)Jeff

After you called the raise on the flop, I would check call the turn and river.After you check raised the turn I would call the 3rd bet and fold the river if I don't fill up.I don't think that not 3betting the flop is that big of a mistake. If you 3bet and he calls and the Jh comes what do you do now? Leading out doesn't make much sense because he probably hit his flush. I assume you called on the flop to c/r the turn when a safe card came out (but a safe card didnt come). However, 3betting to get more money in with the best hand isn't a bad idea. Also, 3betting will give u some more info depending on the player (i.e. If he's not a player that caps it with a flush draw you can find out where he's at). I think the main goal of 3betting in this situation is to get more money in the pot with the best hand. Once that Jh comes i think a check call is the best move in virtually every situation. Assuming you have him beat, you'll induce a bluff here. However, if you have him beat then he will only call your checkraise. So you gain one more bet vs losing 2 when he has u beat and 3bets u. Edit: He may also fold to a c/r on turn meaning u get less beats when you have the best hand. So in this case you would be getting 0 extra bets.I suggest picking up Skalansky's Theory of Poker. It'll give you more insight on this stuff.

I suggest picking up Skalansky's Theory of Poker. It'll give you more insight on this stuff.
Yeah...DNA, haven't you heard of this guy? He's all the rage with the young kids. :wink: I am three betting the flop and betting the turn. If he plays back I'm calling down, unless the board pairs... then I'm raising my fist in triumph when I cap the river.p.s. :wink: =SW