Does he care who wins?

#2 Suited_Up

Suited_Up

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 25,723 posts
  • Interests:Poker and Sports

Posted 16 December 2004 - 04:13 PM

Oh man, I can't believe you just started a religion thread, lol. You don't want my opinion probably :D
-Kurt

#3 tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 940 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Video Games, Statistics

Posted 16 December 2004 - 05:21 PM

God cares, but not about who wins.God cares about how you live and appreciate life. If you live a great life and respect people and treat them as you would want to be treated and you win win win, then God cares about the winning if it's helped you achieve your life success.... otherwise God cares not. Even still it's not the 'winning' that he cares about, it's just a vice by which you achieved your life success.

#4 muckrake

muckrake

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Family, Video Games & Poker

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:19 PM

I had a feeling that someone would post this topic after reading the most recent blog and other comments Daniel makes about reading religious material.What I cant believe is that anyone attempted to answer this question. As if anyone here truly knows.

#5 tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 06:23 PM

I can't believe that you question someone trying to contemplate this question. It's human nature.In addition nowhere in my response did I say i was speaking for God or anyone else, no fool would do that. I was answering with my own personal opinion.If someone can pose a question it is free to be answered.In addition this is a public forum.

#6 oldadmin

oldadmin

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 614 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 08:24 PM

This topic is silly; not to mention way off topic - let me play God and move this topic to another category.PS I care.

Thank you all for helping make fullcontactpoker a success.

#7 ivan

ivan

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 16 December 2004 - 08:30 PM

I had a cringe of embarrassment for Daniel when I read his "prayer" comment. I just shake my head when I hear that apparently mature adults actually believe in that sort of childish religious hogwash. There is no god, Jesus never existed, etc. Wake up, folks, the Maytag Superscrub Brainwashing Machine comes with a lifetime warranty.

#8 muckrake

muckrake

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Family, Video Games & Poker

Posted 16 December 2004 - 09:43 PM

teknowledg...I did not mean to ruffle any feathers. I have read many of your posts as I visit the site daily since the new look and forums went up.Just thought this topic was good for nothing. Just like political discussions.. Could talk all day and in the end it is everyones personal view that counts for them.I understand how it came across... Truly did not mean to offend.

#9 rkard

rkard

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 17 December 2004 - 02:41 AM

ivan said:

I had a cringe of embarrassment for Daniel when I read his "prayer" comment. I just shake my head when I hear that apparently mature adults actually believe in that sort of childish religious hogwash. There is no god, Jesus never existed, etc. Wake up, folks, the Maytag Superscrub Brainwashing Machine comes with a lifetime warranty.
I tend to agree with this general opinion. I can't say "God" doesn't exist for sure because I don't know. I can however say that the Bible is an adults storybook as I firmly believe that there's never rained bread from the skies...I'm probably never going to bet any money on God existing :)Religion is nothing but an outdated guideline in life, for human kind who were formerly savages to do good. Personally, I don't need religion to tell right from wrong and be a good human being. Also, I think religion has caused as many deaths due to war and fighting as lives it has improved over the years. I was born to catholic parents if it makes a difference. I didn't choose not to believe, I chose to not clutter my mind with uncertainty. I SAVE THAT FOR THE POKER TABLES!Religion: POKER!
"with a decent iron pipe you smack the whole world into awe."
Poker tard and semi-pro fighter.

#10 ryan2323

ryan2323

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:golf / poker

Posted 18 December 2004 - 01:56 AM

o relate god / religion to poker...... god / religion is th RAKEno offence intended.... :evil:

#11 Munky

Munky

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 180 posts
  • Interests:Poker & Building Poker Tables

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:20 AM

ryan2323 said:

o relate god / religion to poker......     god / religion is th RAKEno offence intended.... :evil:
Even god doesn't know what you just said...
:spades10: :spadesj: :spadesq: :spadesk: :hearts10:

I can't do anything right...

#12 Jordan

Jordan

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 9,032 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 12:49 AM

ivan said:

At least you have an educated opinion for your disbelief.Oh wait, I'm assuming you don't have an educated reason for your belief, aren't I? I guess I should be worried about offending you, cause perhaps you did come to your stated conclusion through "mature" means. However, you shake your head at "mature" adults, and probably assume the same about them in their beliefs."There is no god, Jesus never existed, etc."There is a god, Jesus existed, etc.I guess we have conflicting statements with about the same amount of support for each.In conclusion, don't post what you don't know. Or assume what you think you know of another.- Jordan

#13 ivan

ivan

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 December 2004 - 02:25 PM

Heard of Horus? The Egyptian god? Horus "existed" long before your boogie-man, but strangely Horus has some familiar attributes:Horus:"...Horus, a mythical figure whose miraculous birth was heralded by a star in the east; who was baptized by someone who was later decapitated; who had twelve followers; who walked on water, cast out demons, and healed the sick; who was transfigured on a mountain; who was crucified between two thieves, buried in a tomb, and resurrected; and who was known as the KRST or "anointed one", as well as the "good shepherd," "the lamb of God," "the bread of life," "the son of man," "the Word," and the "fisher"."You starkly misunderstand something; I am not operating on an article of faith, I am moving forward from a complete absence of evidence for either your god or your jesus. But don't get me wrong; I am an equal opportunity disbeliever; I also patiently await the lightning bolts of zeus.[/i]

#14 Metaphysician

Metaphysician

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Poker, philosophy, computers

Posted 21 December 2004 - 10:33 PM

I read ivan's posts on a different religion related thread. I expected similarly uninformed bile to spill from his mind to the keyboard here. Perhaps he should read some of the scholars on the subject, rather than the infidels.org, Acharya S or Freke and Gandy. One thing that abounds with these silly claims is the complete lack of any actual evidence.There is no evidence that Horus walked on water.Horus merged with the Sun-God and after that died and was reborn every day, thus there was no tomb or decapitation... and this isn't a resurrection like Jesus' resurrection... Also, you misunderstand your own references, John the Baptist died of decapitation, not Jesus.In other stories Horus was stung by a scorpion and then revived. Being nothing at all like Jesus's death and resurrection.http://www.earth-his...7dead-horus.htmThere are references to Horus having 4 or 16 followers, or a specifically UNNUMBERED number of followers... never a reference to 12. This is an unwarranted conclusion drawn from his merging with the sun god, thus using the 12 signs of the zodiac to argue for 12 diciples, which is a completely ridiculous argument. Whoever you were quoting got the argument his source used wrong too. The claim is that Horus performed the miracles, not his disciples. His titles were: Great God, Chief of the Powers, Master of Heaven, Avenger of His Father. There is no evidence for him being called son of man.He was never baptised, he might've been cut into pieces and then fished out of a river, but that is only speculation, with little evidence to support it. Even if that were true, it's not anything like baptism.You seem to have gotten one thing right, on divine birth."one ancient Egyptian relief depicts this conception by showing his mother Isis in a falcon form, hovering over an erect phallus of a dead and prone Osiris in the Underworld" - Frazer, J. G. "Adonis, Attis, Osiris"http://www.earth-his...-10summary5.htmBut this is not at all analogous to a virgin birth. Nor was there any herald by a star in the east. The star in the east is OSIRIS, his father.There are, perhaps, 2 or 3 real historians who think Jesus never existed. Many of the people these claims come from have absolutely no qualifications for saying he didn't exist.I could offer several arguments for God's existence... but chances are you would not understand them or would answer them by quoting from infidels.org or some such thing.Perhaps before you go boasting on how you're following evidence, you ought to look at the evidence you boast of. Also, in case you didn't catch it in the other thread, you completely misunderstand the christian notion of faith.

#15 ivan

ivan

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 21 December 2004 - 11:13 PM

There is no evidence that Horus walked on water.
LOL! There is exactly as much "evidence" for Horus's as there is for Jesus's aqueous stroll, i.e. none: the entire point being that the Horus myth is surprisingly very similar to the Jesus myth and also vastly predates it. Intelligent, objective, clear-thinking people can draw their own conclusions from the evidence. LOL!(Read Massey. Read Higgins. Read Kuhn.)Your reading comprehension skills also are falling far short, my friend. Example:

Also, you misunderstand your own references, John the Baptist died of decapitation, not Jesus.
Nope. Your incorrect insinuation that my post claims Jesus was decapitated is perhaps evidence you need to read more carefully and not flail quite so much.

I could offer several arguments for God's existence... but chances are you would not understand them or would answer them by quoting from infidels.org or some such thing.
I've never heard of the websites you have mentioned. I trust you have read Higgins, Massey and Kuhn on the subject, then? Putting your ad hominems and the dick-waggling aside for a moment, let's have a look at these "proofs" of yours. As a fairly skilled dialectician, I'm game. :wink: :D

#16 Metaphysician

Metaphysician

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 12:26 AM

ivan said:

LOL! There is exactly as much "evidence" for Horus's as there is for Jesus's aqueous stroll, i.e. none: the entire point being that the Horus myth is surprisingly very similar to the Jesus myth and also vastly predates it. Intelligent, objective, clear-thinking people can draw their own conclusions from the evidence. LOL!
You miss the point. There is no evidence for Jesus walking on water, obviously. There is only the claim in the Bible. There is not even a claim that Horus walked on water in the egyptian mythology. The fact that the Horus myth is NOTHING like the Jesus "myth" completely invalidates whether one predates the other(even if they were similar, this would mean precisely nothing). I trust you read my links, which are links to translations of the actual ancient texts about Horus, and some glyphs depicting his birth, and so forth. As I said, only one thing you said appears to be true based on the actual evidence about the Horus myth.

Nope. Your incorrect insinuation that my post claims Jesus was decapitated is perhaps evidence you need to read more carefully and not flail quite so much.
I did misread this. I apologize. But Horus was never "baptized" by anyone as per the above.I assume you're talking about Alvin Kuhn, Gerald Massey and Geoffrey Higgins,Kuhn was a high school language teacher, having earned his degree by writing a dissertation on THEOSOPHY.Higgins was a real scholar, but he died in 1834, as I understand, and is thus heavily outdated. Few egyptian texts had been translated at that time, and interpretations were not agreed upon. He's completely irrelevant.Massey had no degrees whatsoever, wrote in the early 20th century, and was not respected by egyptologists then any more than he is now(not at all).In other words, your sources are about as credible as you think the Bible is.Jesus may never have performed miracles, may never have been resurrected, I think you can deny both of those rationally. But it's simply not within reason to suppose he never existed. Supposing everything you said was true, they would not count as reasons to believe he never existed.I would never proposed to offer proofs of God's existence. Only good arguments which support belief in God. What Massey, Kuhn and Higgins have to say on the arguments for God's existence would be outdated as well. This is the area of philosophy, and unlike other centuries, there has been great progress in philosophy in the last 100 years.I have no desire to argue God's existence with you because, for example, I notice you completely avoided answering anything I referenced. This is a great debate move, but I'm not here to debate. I am not a dialectician, I am a philosopher, concerned with arguments. Arguments being a matter of formal logics. It is not a matter of persuasive speaking, which you are obviously talented in.

#17 tekn0wledg

tekn0wledg

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 06:00 AM

Munky said:

Even god doesn't know what you just said...
LMAO!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAH!!!!

#18 JustinHEMI04

JustinHEMI04

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, ATVing, sky diving, poker.

Posted 22 December 2004 - 09:20 AM

God Doesn't care. Only those who think they know what God cares about (but really don't), care. IE organized religion. Justin
A dollar won is twice as sweet as a dollar earned.

#19 naugie

naugie

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Music, Bar activities, Ladies

Posted 22 December 2004 - 02:08 PM

Scientists claim that we all dream everytime we sleep, although their PROOF is that they can monitor brainwaves. Brainwaves are created all the time in our brain. The cause of these brainwaves is only an educated guess and therefore, despite what we are told, incredible. The theory of relativity is taught as a fact, but was never proven until the unprovable postulate that the speed of light is relative to all observers was incorporated into the theory. If i'm not mistaken, it was incorporated by Einstein, who is often quoted (not sure whether the quote is accurate, but i'm loosely paraphrasing anyway) to have said something about research being scientists fooling around with things they don't understand until they know what they are doing, or something like that.The big bang theory, or the creation of the solar system or the life of stars is taught as fact, but the only evidence is the way stars look right now to us. The light we are seeing from these stars took eons to get here, and the lifespan of these stars are supposed to be longer than man has existed, yet we have only been studying them for a couple hundred years, which is not long enough to actually have strong evidence as to what the life of a star is, since we haven't actually been able to witness too many stars' transitions from one phase to another.Black Holes are a made up explanation to phenomena that scientists don't know how to research except from a distance that we cannot travel, yet are positive they are right and teach black holes as fact. The only proof we have that these black holes exhist are the phenomena that black holes were made up to explain.My point? Your evidence is lacking on both sides of the argument. We believe what we want to believe, because that is what we believe. Look up the definition of faith, and you will realize that you have it. One side has faith in God which you define as religion, which I believe is different anyway. The otherside has faith in science and numbers and what you believe is logic, although you refuse to refer to it as your "God." Count the letters in God. There are not 4. I just thought I'd put a new argument in here to upset you both for the sake of fun arguing.
Maybe if I have a catchy signature, it will convince observers that I'm credible.

#20 Metaphysician

Metaphysician

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 22 December 2004 - 02:44 PM

I would say that everything you said is right with one caveat. There are converging lines of "evidence" for all of the things you listed above. There are no "proofs" as in a logical proof of the form: if a, then b; a, therefore b. But there are many forms of evidence and there is certainly much evidence for a big bang, much evidence for relativity, etc. We call this "abductive" evidence, or inference to the best explanation.I have "faith" in God. I trust logic and mathematics. I have minor trust in science.I have not argued for the existence of God, so I don't see how what you said is actually relevant to anything I said. I merely provided the actual texts and facts concerning the Horus myth, rather than the completely unsubstantiated stories about the myth of Horus made up by a clique often called "Christ-Mythers" in order to try to show parallels between the stories about Jesus and the stories about other deities/persons like Horus, Mithras, Dionysus, Hesus of the Druids, Sargon, Adonis, Salivahana, etc.There are argument for the existence of God of the form: if a, then b; a, therefore b. And, if the premisses are sound, they would constitute a logically deductive "proof."But I find the inductive and abductive arguments to be much more acceptable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users