Everyone Likes The Turn

villain is very tight/rocky. I have been playing pretty TAGNo Limit Holdem Ring gameBlinds: $1/$25 playersConverterStack sizes:UTG: $397CO: $89.78Button: $65.57Hero: $220.80BB: $199.05Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with :):club:UTG raises to $8, 2 folds, Hero calls, BB folds.Flop: :D :D :D ($18, 2 players)Hero checks, UTG checks.Turn: :D ($18, 2 players)Hero bets $12, UTG raises to $40, Hero ??

Cwik, was he c/r hands he hit hard OOP?That's the variable here. If you saw him do that before, or if you feel as though you have a stabby image, I'd reraise him just above min, hopefully sucking him in. If you haven't seen him c/r before, call the turn.

I think you run into AA a lot here, but I think you see AK/AQ a fair amount as well.I'm never folding, but I want to see a showdown. I call the turn and either c/c or b/c the river.
i agree i call the turn and c/c the river

I pretty much shut down and try and get to showdown here most of the time. He's either got a hand like AK/AQ and will probably bet the river or he's got a set and will definitely bet the river, so you should get value from the hands you beat anyway.

I'd just call this bet versus any opponent, and usually C-R the river...Are we phearing A-A that much where we have to C-C the river?
Do you think he's paying off a c/r with 1 pair? Really, this is a set A LOT and we should act accordingly. We'd like to get to showdown without flinging all of your chips into the pot becuase if we do and get called, it's invariably by a bigger set.
Do you think he's paying off a c/r with 1 pair? Really, this is a set A LOT and we should act accordingly. We'd like to get to showdown without flinging all of your chips into the pot becuase if we do and get called, it's invariably by a bigger set.
And if the river is another ace or a king? Still c-c?
Two hands beat you and you just got repopped. I re-raise to $125 and insta call the shove. Honestly, this AK feeling really good 50% of the time.
If it's only A-K half the time... wouldn't we want to slow down?
If it's only A-K half the time... wouldn't we want to slow down?
If it's AK exactly half of the time and he'll never fold it, then raising is a breakeven play for us. I'd probably c/r or lead a river A, but not many other cards aside from the case 2 I think. Just cause the river A makes it less likely he's got AA for obv reasons.

I see AK/AQ check that flop a lot to try and generate action on later streets when they think they are way ahead (and were at the time). I don't like shutting down and just calling with a set without a phenominal read on my opponent.

I see AK/AQ check that flop a lot to try and generate action on later streets when they think they are way ahead (and were at the time). I don't like shutting down and just calling with a set without a phenominal read on my opponent.
We're not deep enough to contemplate set over set ... if it is, it just is ...
We're not deep enough to contemplate set over set ... if it is, it just is ...
We don't need to go broke here if we're behind. I think more often than not, if we get it AI on the turn, we get shown a set.
We don't need to go broke here if we're behind. I think more often than not, if we get it AI on the turn, we get shown a set.
My thinking is that a big ace or two pair is going to seriously contemplate folding if we push the turn, but if we fill the pot on the turn, we can get it all in on the river. Obv. if it's an overset, I'm not afraid to lose my chips with this hand, the way it played out.EDIT: We're just not deep enough to worry and I don't want to miss any value from this set on a scattershot board. This is a money-making oppty.
My thinking is that a big ace or two pair is going to seriously contemplate folding if we push the turn, but if we fill the pot on the turn, we can get it all in on the river. Obv. if it's an overset, I'm not afraid to lose my chips with this hand, the way it played out.EDIT: We're just not deep enough to worry and I don't want to miss any value from this set on a scattershot board. This is a money-making oppty.
If he has AK or AQ and we 3-bet the turn on him, do you really think he's calling that often? If somehow he has 2 pair, yeah, we're gonna stack him. Really, the only legit options are that he has a set or that he's got AK/AQ here. I guess sometimes it's a bluff, but we can't get more action from him there anyway.
Bingo...he shouldn't.
Shouldn't, and what actually happens in a 1/2 shorthanded game are different things.I don't see anything wrong with calling and CRing the river if your scared of pushing him off an A on the turn.
I pretty much shut down and try and get to showdown here most of the time. He's either got a hand like AK/AQ and will probably bet the river or he's got a set and will definitely bet the river, so you should get value from the hands you beat anyway.
you post a lot of really good advice. day in day out. i hate playing for stacks when you're hand has near as much value as bottom 2 and villain takes this line.
????You're kidding? Bottom two? I don't understand.
villain's hands are literally AA, 33, 88, AK or AQ, with a rare exception of A8 (i think this is really rare)if were playing for stacks we're banking on villain having AK or AQ, thus our hand has the same value (obviously not equity wise against these hands) as 23.

In my admittedly meager experience it isn't a good idea to worry too much about set over set. You get pushed off the better hand too often when you're playing afraid of monsters, I bet here and call any shove.