• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 Uppie_

Uppie_

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:38 AM

LMAO[/quote]Well, not anyone, but if your handicap is below a 1.4, then you are welcome to try and win a local/regional qualifier. You have to be good enough to have that low of an index, but you don't have to be a member of the PGA or anything.Patrick[/quote]Well sounds very similar to winning a satillite to get into the WSOP, so if you good enough to put up the money and win a satillite on a web site usallay out playing a few hundred or more players you must be doing something right. and if your dumb enough and rich enough to have 10k to toss around but your a very poor poker player well you have no chance and thanks for the donation.and i rememeber hearing back before it got huge the ESPN broadcast with phil hellmuth as the color guy saying that the best poker player in the world might not even be here it very easly could be some guy that plays a weekly home game with his buddies and thats it. Sure this was a statement to draw dead money in that thought they had a chance but there is some truth to it as the earlier posters cylcelying story.

#42 bourbenz

bourbenz

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 287 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:41 AM

I say leave it alone, but start another championship, with more of a triple crown nomination type setup so that the slackers are faded out when they don't produce results.

#43 padrefan98

padrefan98

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:09 AM

Naturally with inflation The 10k entry fee will have to go up. The next logical step would probably be $25,000. Not impossible to raise, but still a good chunk of change. The WS can't survive at 10k forever. Does anyone know if the WS was always 10k?

#44 PMJackson21

PMJackson21

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:14 AM

padrefan98 said:

Naturally with inflation The 10k entry fee will have to go up. The next logical step would probably be $25,000. Not impossible to raise, but still a good chunk of change. The WS can't survive at 10k forever. Does anyone know if the WS was always 10k?
Yes, it was.Patrick

#45 MarkZ

MarkZ

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:52 AM

Socrates said:

I thought about this. I guess I should have clarified that the others claim themselves to be world champions, while they don't even allow teams from other countries to compete (with the exception of Canada)
Socrates, even though teams from other countries can't compete, they're still "World Champions" because the best players in the world play in the NBA, NHL, NFL, and MLB. The NBA has many great players from Europe, the MLB is half Dominican, the NHL is half Canadian, etc...My point is that if you're a top-notch athlete, you're playing in one of these leagues and nowhere else no matter where you're from.

#46 dmoneypoker

dmoneypoker

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:football, baseball, literature, gambling

Posted 23 June 2005 - 12:03 PM

Marc-O said:

The title " world series " is a very bold title I feel.Does anyone else agree that the wsop is becoming to ridiculous.  I mean 6600 players in the main event ???I think in order to be the " real " world series, the buy-in should be about half a million.  Now you would probably only have a few hundred players give or take a few, which would be the best of the best.The final table of the main event would most likely be the most exciting poker to ever watch.  I mean imagine a 500 000 buy-in tourney, say 150 entries and the final table looking like this:- Phil Ivey- DN- Johnny Chan- Doyle Brunson- Barry Greenstein- T.J Cloutier- Phil Hellmuth- Chris Ferguson- John JuandaAdd your own high stakes professionals in there, but i mean this to me would be the true WSOP.Sure, it shatters alot of our dreams.  But isn't sad that someone who's name rhyme's with " funnyfaker " can win a seat to the WORLD SERIES by playing a $40 online tournament, never play live poker in his life, and take home 2.5 m ??my 2 cents..
There are a bunch of skilled players out there who can't afford high stakes or a big buyin like that, that's why I think it's great we have so much access to the WSOP. It's the world series because it's the oldest and most prestigious series of poker tournaments in the world.Also I find it disappointing you are against the interaction we're able to have with these prose. It's a trite argument but you can't go play tennis with Andy Roddick, golf with Tiger Woods or, God forbid, play football with Ray Lewis. But you can go sit with Brunson, Hellmuth, Chan and all the other greats of the game for a relatively low price. That's what makes it GREAT, not what makes it flawed. There's a time and place for the best pros secluding themselves, and that's in the high stakes cash games. Tournaments, however, have a right to be played by everyone, especially the WSOP.
Anthony
dmoneypoker2005

"What's pot odds, precious?"~Erik Smeagol

I'm the best player in the galaxy
I can read your soul so don't bluff me
I am the best!~Bill Fillmaff

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users