18 year old makes millions playing online poker

(CBS 3) PHILADELPHIA An 18-An 18-year-old high school dropout does not often have a bright future, but one local teenager, featured in this month's Philadelphia Magazine , has left school behind for a lucrative career in on-line gambling.“I buy a lot of watches, jewelry, clothes, earrings, cars,” said Jordan Berkowitz.The Marple Township teenager is no actor or rap star, he is an online poker champ.“I've won probably a dozen tournaments for $50,000 or more,” he said.Berkowitz’s story is featured in this month's Philadelphia Magazine.His black and red bedroom in his mom's house is a shrine to the game. He has an $85,000 BMW and a brand new Range Rover.“What do I want for Christmas? Well, every day is like Christmas for me,” he said.Berkowitz won a hand worth $300 in front of CBS 3’s cameras in about 20 seconds.Earlier this year, he won a championship worth $57,000, but he said it online poker was not always fun.Berkowitz lost thousands when he started a few years ago.“I wasn't in school, I was playing poker, no money, I regretted not being in school,” he said.Debt can drive people to desperation. The attorney representing a class president at Lehigh University accused of robbing a bank blames gambling debt as motivation for the crime.“I'm pretty sure I have a good idea of what was going through his head. I'm sure, actually I do, because it went through mine,” said Berkowitz“It was bad, but it was all worth it in the end, but I wouldn't recommend it 'cause not everyone's going to win the World Online Championship in poker,” he said. “Not everyone's going to win a million dollars in a few months, you know.”For now, Berkowitz is stepping away from poker, taking a vacation, and thinking about taking a different gamble.“I wouldn't mind investing in the stock market,” he said.source & video:http://kyw.com/topstories/local_story_362213005.html

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So he's one a dozen $50K+ tournaments. That accounts for 600K. Where are the other millions coming from? Seems like he's bought a lot and not paid taxes. Unless they guy is an absolute animal in cash games I find the claims to be exaggerated. Then again, most any claim from a poker player is. I mean, he has to lose sometimes too.

He's Panella86 you can see the 2005 wccop here :http://thepiratebay.org/details.php?id=3385244YOu can see actual Televsion Interview Here:http://kyw.com/topstories/local_story_362213005.htmlThe most prestigious online tournament of the year took place at PokerStars on Sunday. The $2500+$100 buy-in World Championships of Online Poker (WCOOP) No Limit Hold’em Event had over 1,494 entrants, yielding a prize pool that exceeded 3.5 million. When it was all over, a player with the online handle “Panella86” finished in 1st. Panella, saying his real name is Jordan Berkowitz, repeatedly claimed in the chat box that this was his second consecutive WCOOP Main Event final table.He said that last year he finished 7th playing under the name “PagonaB”. An article was written by Sync Magazine about PagonaB’s finish last year . Although he told everyone that he was “14 beers in”, he was still able to maneuver his way to 1st place and earn $577,000.After a three way deal was made, players “Vendetta” and “tralala” walked away with $573,000 and $540,000, respectively. “Buster Love”, confirmed by Greg Raymer on a radio broadcast to be two-time bracelet winner Mark Seif, finished in 9th place for a $56,000 score.Barry “crazyplayer” Greenstein finished in 53rd place and donated his $9,300 winnings to charity. PokerStars team member Isabelle “NoMercy” Mercier finished in 63rd place.The 15 WCOOP Events generated over 12 million in prize money which makes it the 3rd largest poker series to take place in 2005 (live or online).

So he's one a dozen $50K+ tournaments. That accounts for 600K. Where are the other millions coming from? Seems like he's bought a lot and not paid taxes. Unless they guy is an absolute animal in cash games I find the claims to be exaggerated. Then again, most any claim from a poker player is. I mean, he has to lose sometimes too.
well he won the wcoop for over 500K i believe
He has a beemer and a Range Rover. How can you ask for more proof than that?

i love how it glosses over how a teenager in high school was able to lose a few thousand dollars.when mommy and daddy pay your bills, it's much easier.i have a friend - both him (22) and his little brother (19) play 30/60 online, most of the big MTT's and the elder went to the WSOP. both brag about winning 10's of thousands of dollars at poker. they are both broke, despite having nice cars and other stuff.reason: borrow money from mommy and daddy, play poker. if you win, buy something and/or count it as winnings. if you lose, borrow more. when your risk of ruin is so low, it makes it easier.best story:little brother wants to show his mom how good he is and why she should keep lending money to him, so she brings her credit card and watches him play. he buys in to $1000 NL and goes all in with T7s first hand...loses. deposits another $1000, buys in, goes all in first hand with J5o...loses. deposits another $1000, buys in, goes all-in first hand with 75s - triples up (and wins blinds)."see mom, i'm already up $12!" (blinds-rake)he plays for awhile, cashes out for $2500, pays his mom back $1000 for his buy-in, and now has $1500 in poker profits.this is a little more absurd than most of these teenagers, but really not an atypical story.

The best was when I watched this on the news at 11. He was wearing a fur coat. I dont think I ever laughed so hard at the news. He gives off this feeling that you want to just go up to him and give him a wedgie.

I'm gone for a day, and a bunch of completely retarded threads pop up.

My grandmother saw this on television and said I hope that will be you soon.I told her I would like the money and fame but I won't have that kind of attitude. ZeeJustin had a few things to say about him in hig blog after he won the WCOOP.."I can’t mention Jordan Berkowitz without mentioning his infamous personality. He’s a rash arrogant kid with an enormous ego. The chat at the final table made this blatantly obvious. There was a live commentary by Greg Raymer and Barry Greenstein, and they kept insinuating that Jordan was going a little crazy, showboating and whatnot. Jordan only confirmed that when he admitted he was drunk and just went nuts in the chat box. He flat out insulted all of his opponents and refused chops saying that he was far more skilled than everyone else left in the tournament. While it’s not my style to act like that, I have to say it makes for great entertainment.The next few weeks will be very interesting for Jordan. The Magic community thinks that he’s a little too headstrong and doesn’t have enough sensibility about him. There was a lot of talk tonight about where he’s going to blow his winnings. Jordan has played some high stakes cash games in the past, and they didn’t go so well for him. Is he going take another shot? Will this shot go better than his last run at the higher stakes? It’s anybody’s guess.Either way, Jordan is one of the most entertaining players to watch. Now that he’s 18, I think we’re going to see him entering a lot of live tournaments, and he may even break my record of being the youngest player ever to make a TV final table. I wouldn’t be too shocked if he gets a lot of TV coverage. Colorful characters like him make from great TV. Just look at Mike Matusow for example. Whether you’re rooting for him to win or die in a grease fire, you’re always stuck to the TV waiting in anticipation for what he’s going to do next. Maybe Jordan will be the next Mike Matusow. Only time will tell."http://www.zeejustin.com/journal.php?journal_id=49

The kids a punk. No question about it. Seems like he is an excellent poker player (somehow), but is obviously a punk. I want to punch him right in the baby maker.
FYP
My hands aren't going anywhere near his babymaker.
Tre, I'm still disappointed that you didn't bring any WhiteCastle with you when you came to Toronto last month.
Next time I come to Toronto, I will bring White Castle. I don't know when that will be, but I promise. Write it down.
Tre, I'm still disappointed that you didn't bring any WhiteCastle with you when you came to Toronto last month.
Next time I come to Toronto, I will bring White Castle. I don't know when that will be, but I promise. Write it down.
No White Castles in Canada or what? That's odd.
No Whitecastle in Canada. The Harold and Kumar movie makes them look sooooooo good.double_cheeseburger_lg.jpg
They are good. Yum.Oh, and this kid described by the OP needs to move out of his mommy's house now.

"Hey Ladies, look at my blinging fur coat, you wanna ride in my $85,000 BMW. I make millions. You can come over my place...but I live with mom and she watches Jeopardy at 730 so you have to be quiet and take your shoes off first."Jordan's pick up lines

canada doesn't have whitecastle but they do have "Harvey's" which u cannot get in the US.
Harvey's is soooooooooooooooo good.
"Hey Ladies, look at my blinging fur coat, you wanna ride in my $85,000 BMW. I make millions. You can come over my place...but I live with mom and she watches Jeopardy at 730 so you have to be quiet and take your shoes off first."Jordan's pick up lines
Actually, I have a few friends that work in the Rittenhouse Hotel in Philly and they said that he gets rooms there a lot because he has a young underage girlfriend. Seriously.