Anyone for tennis?With Wimbledon just around the corner I thought I could get people's predictions, musingsand general thought of the World's biggest tennis tournament.Is Federer still the man and nailed on to win 6 on the bounce?Is Nadal in his head and ready to step up and take the crown from him?Is Djokovic good enough to unseat both of them and win major #2?Will someone else upset everyone except the bookies (Murray? Aye, right!)And for the ladies? Sharapova? One of the Williams? Jankovic? Ivanovic? Far more open than the mens and tough to pick a winner. But I'd be shocked if it wasn't one of these 5.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Payback time for Federer. I think he will dominate this competition.Nadal can be good at dirt court but he is still no match for Federer on grass court. He is catching up tho.This year , for the first time in Wimbledon history , women are getting the same money prize as men. I expect some good matches there.

Good idea.. I was gonna make this thread later today funnily enough.I'm actually going to Wimbledon on Tuesday 2nd July. Not sure who I'll get to watch, but it's Centre Court tickets... I'll take my camera and post some pics if I see anyone good. The roof isn't up until next year though is it? That's a shame!Hope I don't get Murray, tbh. The great British hope, lol! I can't stand the guy.I'd like to see Federer get back to winning ways, but yeah I agree it's hard to look outside of the 3 you mentioned. Nadal was pushed pretty hard by Djokovic at Queens, so I think both are genuine contenders. Who else has a moderately realsistic chance, in the men's? Roddick? I'm not sure he's capable of getting close to those guys at the moment.For the ladies, Ivanovic just won the French.. what's she like on grass? I don't really know too much about ladies tennis, but she looks pretty sexy, so I'll root for her. Can't rule out one of the Williams' sisters on grass though.

I don't think too much should be expected of Andy Murray, this is the only the 2nd time he has played at the Tournament. I don't think Federer will win the Men's title, every streak has to end at some point and this year is the year. As for the Womans i'll stick with my usual policy of betting on a Williams sister. (In either of them is actually playing!)

Good idea.. I was gonna make this thread later today funnily enough.I'm actually going to Wimbledon on Tuesday 2nd July. Not sure who I'll get to watch, but it's Centre Court tickets... I'll take my camera and post some pics if I see anyone good. The roof isn't up until next year though is it? That's a shame!Hope I don't get Murray, tbh. The great British hope, lol! I can't stand the guy.I'd like to see Federer get back to winning ways, but yeah I agree it's hard to look outside of the 3 you mentioned. Nadal was pushed pretty hard by Djokovic at Queens, so I think both are genuine contenders. Who else has a moderately realsistic chance, in the men's? Roddick? I'm not sure he's capable of getting close to those guys at the moment.For the ladies, Ivanovic just won the French.. what's she like on grass? I don't really know too much about ladies tennis, but she looks pretty sexy, so I'll root for her. Can't rule out one of the Williams' sisters on grass though.
Quality that you've got tickets. My mum and gran have number 1 tickets for mens semi final day. I'm jealous. I think Federer will win. Although Djokovic pushed Nadal, I think over 5 sets Rafa is too good and will beat him in the semis (if the draw works out that way). Roddick is not good enough to beat any of the top 3 as they've all worked out his serve. And Murray won't get close.Ladies. Ana, despite the French win doesn't have the power for grass. The big servers are the ones who win and she just isn't able to compete there yet. But if her returns hold up she could be a contender as the grass is slower and could suit her game. I hope she wins because she is the prettiest girl AINEC.

Wasn't Djokovic linked with a betting scandal a few years ago?As I remember there were huge bets on Djokovic's opponent from 6 to 1 odds and Betfair reported this to ATP. Djokovic end up getting "injured" in the middle of the match and quitted.

Wasn't Djokovic linked with a betting scandal a few years ago?As I remember there were huge bets on Djokovic's opponent from 6 to 1 odds and Betfair reported this to ATP. Djokovic end up getting "injured" in the middle of the match and quitted.
I think you're thinking of Davydenko

You are right.From WikiThe ATP is currently investigating Davydenko's match against Martin Vassallo Arguello in Sopot on 2nd of August 2007, after several large bets were placed at an online British gambling company, Betfair, in Arguello's favor after Davydenko had won the first set 6–2. Davydenko withdrew from the match during the third set with a foot injury.[3] Although Davydenko had suffered three first-round defeats in his last three tournaments, was injured in an earlier-round match, and showed signs of injury in the second set,[4] it did not make sense to Betfair that such a heavy betting volume would go in Arguello’s direction at that point of time in the match. Per its agreement with the ATP, Betfair notified the Tour.[5][6][7] It has since been revealed that nine people based in Russia had bet US$1.5m on Davydenko losing while two unknown people would gain US$6m from the loss.[8],[9] Due to the irregularities, however, the bet was voided.Further controversy surrounded Davydenko at the St. Petersburg Open in October. During his 1–6, 7–5, 6–1 defeat by Marin Cilic he was given a code violation by umpire Jean-Philippe Dercq for not giving his best effort. He was later fined $2000 (£987) by the governing body of men's Tennis, the ATP, but the fine was rescinded upon appeal.[10] The following week, he lost 6–2, 6–2 to Marcos Baghdatis at the Paris Masters. This generated some controversy, as Davydenko was cautioned by the umpire to do his best during the match.

A good win for Federer to kick things off. Glad he ditched the goofy suit and has gone for a white cardigan this year. Watching Ana now, a good way to deal with a hangover I think.

I'd like to see Federer get back to winning ways, but yeah I agree it's hard to look outside of the 3 you mentioned. Nadal was pushed pretty hard by Djokovic at Queens, so I think both are genuine contenders. Who else has a moderately realsistic chance, in the men's? Roddick? I'm not sure he's capable of getting close to those guys at the moment.
Roddick could definitely get hot with the serve and beat Djokovic or Nadal....but not Federer. Roddick played some of the best tennis of his life in LOSSES to Federer at Wimbledon.I like Novak to upset Nadal if they meet in the semis. I think Nadal is great but he still can be had on grass by a big list of people.
I like Novak to upset Nadal if they meet in the semis. I think Nadal is great but he still can be had on grass by a big list of people.
Djokovic is in Federer's half of the draw. So he can't meet Nadal unless it's the final.
Djokovic is in Federer's half of the draw. So he can't meet Nadal unless it's the final.
good to know....so much for novak making the finals....
Check out his impersonations of other tennis players: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkrwBovi964Pretty funny!
his send up of Maria Sharapova is incredible. this guy could be a huge star if he can ever get over the Federer/Nadal hump. He has more personality than both of them combined.

I think Djokovic has a huge hump to overcome. He was on his way to cracking the top 2 but in the French open and Queens Final, Nadal just looked like he had him mentally outmatched. On the grass it was Djokovics chance to get revenge but Nadal controlled him.

First major shock! (Not including Davydenko and Nalbandian) Goodbye Djokovic. I'm quite happy about this actually, nothing against Djokovic but I was a huge fan of Safin and have missed him making an impact on major tournaments.Ivanovic on the ropes too, should have been gone if not for a freak net chord.

First major shock! (Not including Davydenko and Nalbandian) Goodbye Djokovic. I'm quite happy about this actually, nothing against Djokovic but I was a huge fan of Safin and have missed him making an impact on major tournaments.Ivanovic on the ropes too, should have been gone if not for a freak net chord.
wow novak has really taken a step back this last few months. That stuff happens though.
wow novak has really taken a step back this last few months. That stuff happens though.
Think you're being a bit harsh there. He did make the semi's of the French only to lose to Nadal. And he made the final of Queens a week later. I wouldn't say he was declining in any way. Plus, Safin is a GS winner himself. It's not as if he crashed out to some Brit no-hoper.

you are right I was being a bit harsh on Djokovic. I just have high hopes for him....he has a ton of personality so I think he could do a lot for tennis which is clearly a struggling sport.Someone who I have not been harsh enough on is Roddick. What a dismal loss that was today. Losing on grass to an unknown? Gross. It is time to start asking if he is done as a legit threat on grass and hard courts.

Sharapova out today... quite a few upsets this year so far.I think it's good for tennis in general though, when it's not a guarantee that the top seeds will always get to the later stages. Especially at Wimbledon too... I think it's because the courts play a lot slower (or faster? I never know which way they mean when they say that, lol) than they used to. Thankfully, Ivanovic managed to just survive yesterday.

Think you're being a bit harsh there. He did make the semi's of the French only to lose to Nadal. And he made the final of Queens a week later. I wouldn't say he was declining in any way. Plus, Safin is a GS winner himself. It's not as if he crashed out to some Brit no-hoper.
Actually, Safin has beaten the 2 best men's tennis players to ever play the game in grand slam finals. There is arguably nobody more talented on the tour than Marat.It's just that stupid head thing.
Actually, Safin has beaten the 2 best men's tennis players to ever play the game in grand slam finals. There is arguably nobody more talented on the tour than Marat.It's just that stupid head thing.
*Annoying nitpick* He beat Federer in the semi's of the AO in 2005. He beat Lleyton Hewitt in the final. But I agree he is a great player when he keeps his head together!
Sharapova out today... quite a few upsets this year so far.I think it's good for tennis in general though, when it's not a guarantee that the top seeds will always get to the later stages. Especially at Wimbledon too... I think it's because the courts play a lot slower (or faster? I never know which way they mean when they say that, lol) than they used to. Thankfully, Ivanovic managed to just survive yesterday.
The grass is playing slower than it used to. I think because it's cut differently and left shorter so it acts more as an even surface and you get a higher bounce now. Which explains the death of serve/volley. The players can afford to hang back and get involved in baseline rallies. Hence Rafa's continued awesomeness from clay to grass.I suppose it's true testament to Borg's greatness that he could win both RG and Wimbledon when there was a huge difference between the surfaces.And Wimbledon always seems to have the most upsets of all the majors. Sure every slam can name a shock winner or deep run from a relatively unknown player but Wimbledon always seems to have one, whether it's on the mens or ladies.