What John Kerry Really Feels About The Military.

From his speach Monday:"You know, education...if you make the most of it...you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well...if you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do hope that was a joke!
Nope.Majority of the people who wind up in the military are there because either they couldn't get into college, or couldn't afford it. Not because they looooove the country so much.

From Jarhead:Drill Instructor - "Son, how the fuck did you end up in my beloved Corps anyway?"Swoff - "Sir, I got lost on the way to college, Sir!"He's got a point, really, for every Pat Tillman who joins the service out of love and respect for his country, there's 10,000 kids who just had nowhere else to go after high school. This isn't a reflection on the military in any way, the service has a way of shaping people up with the quickness, but I think Kerry's comment was more about the motivation for being there in the first place rather than the motivation for staying and doing the job.

Nope.Majority of the people who wind up in the military are there because either they couldn't get into college, or couldn't afford it. Not because they looooove the country so much.
You couldn't be more wrong. In fact if you were here I would be forced to make you see the error of your ways one way or the other.My son is in the Navy, he was accepted to Purdue we could afford to pay for it.My nephew is in the Army, he got straight A's in high school, and he could get loans and scholarships to go to college.That's just two personal examples. I could type for hours about the young people I know that are not stupid nor poor that have joined the military, including one John Kerry.
From his speach Monday:"You know, education...if you make the most of it...you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well...if you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."
Sounds more like a shot at Bush's actions in Iraq, not the type of people who enlist in the military.

I find Kerry's comments disturbing, in light of the fact that he spent his entire political career wh0ring his alleged military service, and then screwing the military over with the way he's voted in the Senate over the last 20 years.He's an opportunistic hypocrite who can't stand the fact that nobody cares about his opinions anymore.

You couldn't be more wrong. In fact if you were here I would be forced to make you see the error of your ways one way or the other.My son is in the Navy, he was accepted to Purdue we could afford to pay for it.My nephew is in the Army, he got straight A's in high school, and he could get loans and scholarships to go to college.That's just two personal examples. I could type for hours about the young people I know that are not stupid nor poor that have joined the military, including one John Kerry.
Just because you know some of the exceptions doesn't mean that it's not true.
Sounds more like a shot at Bush's actions in Iraq, not the type of people who enlist in the military.
pay no attention to the old man OP. Hes just bitter his party is about to lose control and he is trying to twist words into having outlandish unpatriotic meanings, go back to bed old man!
But in all honesty, do you feel that your son and nephew are in the majority or the minority of people who join the service? My father and uncle both served, and the sole reason why was the fact that they didn't have the opportunity to go to college, and didn't have any other real direction in their lives. I know quite a few people who joined up, and quite a few more who wanted to but weren't accepted, and the one thing they all had in common was the fact that they couldn't get a decent job and couldn't afford college.
I know quite a few people who joined up, and quite a few more who wanted to but weren't accepted, and the one thing they all had in common was the fact that they couldn't get a decent job and couldn't afford college.
Likewise.
But in all honesty, do you feel that your son and nephew are in the majority or the minority of people who join the service? My father and uncle both served, and the sole reason why was the fact that they didn't have the opportunity to go to college, and didn't have any other real direction in their lives. I know quite a few people who joined up, and quite a few more who wanted to but weren't accepted, and the one thing they all had in common was the fact that they couldn't get a decent job and couldn't afford college.
bingo.most of the people that I know that served did it because they weren't college material. They came back better people than they left more times than not, but thats not really the point.Most I'VE ENCOUNTERED, have done it because of a lack of opportunity or for college money.

Yep, he's an America-hating commie. He was totally fighting for Charlie over there in Vietnam while G-dubs and Cheney and Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz had "other priorities".

bingo.most of the people that I know that served did it because they weren't college material. They came back better people than they left more times than not, but thats not really the point.Most I'VE ENCOUNTERED, have done it because of a lack of opportunity or for college money.
Same in Canada.A - not college materialB - parents and peers get it in their head that the military is good on a resume, helps pay for school, helps your future.C - actually thinks the military is cool.D - wants to be a cop , swat, etc....
I joined because I really wanted to be a Marine. Had nothing to do with school…I had several scholarships and was in my senior year of college when I joined..Yes some people join because of school…others join not to go to jail but those aren't the only 2 reasons.My opinion is that it would take to long to try to group into categories why people join the service because there is a sleu of reasons

Obviously the reason that it was a stupid comment is because Kerry himself was in the military. He shouldn't generalize, because clearly there are people in the military for plenty of different reasons.

With no insult meant - if I found myself in Iraq today - I'd have to consider that a serious personal career mistakeMy guess is that Army recruiters spend a lot more time speaking to industrial arts classes than calculus classes - when they're not trolling around mall parking lots like drug dealers of course

Yeah, just a dumb thing to say if you did/do want to be Commander-in-Chief.
Well obviously it was stupid to say it, even if he believes it.also, did Kerry go to a military academy?
Same in Canada.A - not college materialB - parents and peers get it in their head that the military is good on a resume, helps pay for school, helps your future.C - actually thinks the military is cool.D - wants to be a cop , swat, etc....
most canadian kids that are in the military are there because they couldn't otherwise afford college, not because they weren't good enough.as much as the canadian military is a joke, the troops are actually very highly trained and educated.
Kerry didn't sugarcoat it, so what? What is it that we're always saying about wanting politicians to be honest and straightforward?
well, I wish we could have someone like that, but this country is so full of hypocrites that it would never be tolerated. I wish someone would just tell it like it is, but that would just never fly.that, and all the anger and mudslinging in politics today, you can't worry about the environment, then drive off in a gas guzzling car (which 80% of them are) without it being thrown in your face. Every statement is dissected and then dissected again and spun any which way. Guess this is the best way to get your mind off the real problems, like the war and the fact that the American Dream is basically a myth
Nope, Yale.
ahhhh