identifying sets online

A limit hold em hand that seems to regularly lose me money online is my big preflop pair or two pair vs. someone else's trips (usually flopped). In the absence of physical tells, when I'm holding AA and a flop comes down 8 4 2, I bet and I'm raised, I can't tell if I'm up against overcards, an overpair (99 thru KK), or a set. Oftentimes they'll slowplay the hand, making it further harder to tell. I usually can't judge by preflop actions because so many people are raising with those hands now. Any suggestions?

I'm not much of a limit player, so this may be the fishiest advice you get (if so, my apologies): Call him down.I figure you have an overpair and the most you'll lose on the hand is 4 BB's. Call him down and take note of what he has.

What limits do you play?3-bet the flop in those cases. Keeping in mind I come from a micro-limit background, if they cap, you can be reasonably sure you're up against two-pair or a set (Unless you read them as being a maniac). If they just call your 3-bet, you're probably ahead.

the short answer is that there's no real way you can tell. sets are moneymakers for all of us, so they're bound to be moneysuckers for all of us when our opponents have them.that said, a lot if it depends on the read of your opponents and on the board.the idea of poker is to maximize your winnings and minimize your losses, so there's ways you can minimize your losses against sets. you're going to lose money to them, but you can keep that loss as small as possible.1. a normally passive player post-flop is betting/raising into you. slow down. consider folding if the pot's small, but if you have a strong hand like overpair + backdoor flush draw or something, just scurry into check-call mode.2. opposite man (bets when weak far too often, slowplays when strong far too often) is check-calling you on the flop and suddenly check-raises you on the turn. if the pot's small, consider folding, otherwise just check-call it down.3. texture of the board. if the board is 8-4-2 and you're getting raised, you're beat. but if the board is K-9-8 with two hearts, you can more freely call a raise since the villian could have a set as easily as he could have TPTK, pair + flush draw, bare OESD/flush draw (free card play).hope this helps,aseem

i think akishores offers some spond advice. Sets are sets. Everyone loves beating aces with poket threes. it often is virtually impossible to put someone on a set in a ring game, so I cant imagine how difficult it becomes online. For these reasonings I think your decision to go on with the hand is dependant upon your opponents past actions and your interpretation of those actions. Oh ya and you have 15 seconds to act. Seems difficult to me and that is why I don't play online, then again never say never. Good luck, break a leg and may the force be with you.

I come from a micro background, a place that attracts the maniacs in hordes. It's hard for me to fold to a raise with AA on an 842 board, you know? There are folks who will raise with that every street through the hand with top pair.Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it.

don't worry, i definitely wouldn't fold to a raise on a board of 8-4-2 with A-A either. but the idea is to minimize your losses, so you slow down when that happens.aseem