Jump to content


Off Off Topic: Cool Toronto People's Thread


  • Please log in to reply
10972 replies to this topic

#10961 Babying

Babying

    Poker Forum God

  • Members
  • 10,905 posts
  • Location:Toronto

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:37 AM

View Postmrdannyg, on 14 June 2018 - 08:29 AM, said:

Is it elitist the for a physically capable single person to drive downtown? Wayne drove with his kid who is perfectly capable of using public transit, is he a selfish elite?

No my daughter is a selfish elite. Drove her to Wonderland and her ding dong friends on Saturday too.

The truth is I didn't want her taking the TTC home at night. Her friend's parents didn't have an issue with them taking the subway.

#10962 mrdannyg

mrdannyg

    Cheese Salesman

  • Members
  • 20,326 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:25 AM

 Babying, on 14 June 2018 - 08:37 AM, said:



No my daughter is a selfish elite. Drove her to Wonderland and her ding dong friends on Saturday too.

The truth is I didn't want her taking the TTC home at night. Her friend's parents didn't have an issue with them taking the subway.

Lol Wayne the elite I like it. I took the wonderland bus a couple times - getting home after a day in the sun on that bus was miserable. It never did not smell like puke.
Long signatures are really annoying.

#10963 serge

serge

    Leafs nation Grand Poobah

  • Members
  • 49,447 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:32 AM

 MapleLeafpoker, on 14 June 2018 - 06:51 AM, said:

My Lfyt or Uber (cant recall which one) requested pickup in Vegas asked me if I was willing to accept a driverless car.

I'm assuming that was just a poll, and not a reality, right????
They had some in SF last year. But I think they stopped after an incident. Itís gonna happen soon though.
Owner of the Mustangs, 2014-2015 AHL Eastern Division Champs

Lets make America Great Again. Trump 2016

#10964 serge

serge

    Leafs nation Grand Poobah

  • Members
  • 49,447 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto

Posted 14 June 2018 - 09:40 AM

 Babying, on 14 June 2018 - 04:56 AM, said:

Try driving in Chicago or Washington or Los Angeles. IMO worst than Toronto

I drive in LA all the time. Itís totally different city and we canít compare it to Toronto. There is no downtown per se in LA. There is but itís not somewhere where you want to end up. The issue in LA is the freeways and the lack of a public transit system that people use regularly.

Things I like to see in Toronto more ( and I did see a bit more) is more HoV and paid toll lanes.
Owner of the Mustangs, 2014-2015 AHL Eastern Division Champs

Lets make America Great Again. Trump 2016

#10965 Zach6668

Zach6668

    FCHL Champion.

  • Moderators
  • 48,762 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto, ON

Posted 15 June 2018 - 05:49 AM

Thereís some toll lanes on the 401 west of the city I think. Maybe a different highway. Weíre administering the survey for it. Way underpriced though because they have to hold a ****ing lottery for passes.

If you really want to cut congestion downtown, thereís two solutions. One, as bob says, implode your city. Make it so unsuccessful that nobody wants to go downtown. Two, institute a congestion charge. This would run around an area bordered by something like St. Clair, Don River, Bathurst or something. It would discourage unnecessary trips and has worked wonders for London and Stockholm, I believe.

Use the money to improve alternate modes like building cycling ďhighwaysĒ as theyíve done amazingly in London. Improve transit, etc.

Thatís the direction weíre moving, Iíd bet. Toronto is just behind the curve set by the very global (and larger) cities like London.

Speaking of traffic though, I think Iím going to go to S„o Paulo in the fall, which is pretty much known for 24/7 gridlock. They have a rule that license plate ending in specific digits canít drive on certain days. Anyways, Iím interested in experiencing that chaos.

QUOTE (serge @ Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 7:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LETS GO PITTSBURGH
QUOTE (Acid_Knight @ Monday, March 10th, 2008, 4:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zach is right about pretty much everything.

#10966 digitalmonkey

digitalmonkey

    Unenjoyable Annoying Retard

  • Members
  • 38,465 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Sudbury
  • Interests:sports, music, movies, photography
  • Favorite Poker Game:Hi/Lo Chicago

Posted 15 June 2018 - 06:43 AM

 Zach6668, on 15 June 2018 - 05:49 AM, said:

Speaking of traffic though, I think Iím going to go to S„o Paulo in the fall, which is pretty much known for 24/7 gridlock. They have a rule that license plate ending in specific digits canít drive on certain days. Anyways, Iím interested in experiencing that chaos.

So the rich have a car for each day?
Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor implied. If you could repeat previously discredited memes or steer the conversation into irrelevant, off topic discussions, it would be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . . you are, after all, anonymous.

#10967 Zach6668

Zach6668

    FCHL Champion.

  • Moderators
  • 48,762 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto, ON

Posted 15 June 2018 - 06:46 AM

 digitalmonkey, on 15 June 2018 - 06:43 AM, said:



So the rich have a car for each day?

Pretty much. I donít think that policy works.

Itís just one day you canít drive. Like if it ends in 1 or 2, you canít drive Monday. So for sure the rich have two cars.

Also, thereís like a million heliports around the city. Thatís how the super rich get around. Itís nuts.
QUOTE (serge @ Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 7:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LETS GO PITTSBURGH
QUOTE (Acid_Knight @ Monday, March 10th, 2008, 4:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zach is right about pretty much everything.

#10968 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

    Limit Holdem Dinosaur

  • Root Admin
  • 27,368 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scarberia

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:07 AM

View PostZach6668, on 15 June 2018 - 06:46 AM, said:

Pretty much. I don't think that policy works.

It's just one day you can't drive. Like if it ends in 1 or 2, you can't drive Monday. So for sure the rich have two cars.

Also, there's like a million heliports around the city. That's how the super rich get around. It's nuts.

crime in Brazil is nuts. Be very very careful.
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#10969 Babying

Babying

    Poker Forum God

  • Members
  • 10,905 posts
  • Location:Toronto

Posted 15 June 2018 - 01:57 PM

Otto only job he has had is working at the cne. He finally got his first interview for a real job.

The new Costco less than a 10 min drive from home.

#10970 FCP Bob

FCP Bob

    Limit Holdem Dinosaur

  • Root Admin
  • 27,368 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scarberia

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:00 PM

View PostBabying, on 15 June 2018 - 01:57 PM, said:

Otto only job he has had is working at the cne. He finally got his first interview for a real job.

The new Costco less than a 10 min drive from home.

Costco treats it's employees well. Hope he gets hired.
Bob

info@fullcontactpoker.com

#10971 serge

serge

    Leafs nation Grand Poobah

  • Members
  • 49,447 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:03 PM

 Zach6668, on 15 June 2018 - 05:49 AM, said:

Thereís some toll lanes on the 401 west of the city I think. Maybe a different highway. Weíre administering the survey for it. Way underpriced though because they have to hold a ****ing lottery for passes.

If you really want to cut congestion downtown, thereís two solutions. One, as bob says, implode your city. Make it so unsuccessful that nobody wants to go downtown. Two, institute a congestion charge. This would run around an area bordered by something like St. Clair, Don River, Bathurst or something. It would discourage unnecessary trips and has worked wonders for London and Stockholm, I believe.

Use the money to improve alternate modes like building cycling ďhighwaysĒ as theyíve done amazingly in London. Improve transit, etc.

Thatís the direction weíre moving, Iíd bet. Toronto is just behind the curve set by the very global (and larger) cities like London.

Speaking of traffic though, I think Iím going to go to S„o Paulo in the fall, which is pretty much known for 24/7 gridlock. They have a rule that license plate ending in specific digits canít drive on certain days. Anyways, Iím interested in experiencing that chaos.

Zach I love the idea of the congestion charge. Even if its $5-$10 it will discourage people to drive downtown.
Owner of the Mustangs, 2014-2015 AHL Eastern Division Champs

Lets make America Great Again. Trump 2016

#10972 Zach6668

Zach6668

    FCHL Champion.

  • Moderators
  • 48,762 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Toronto, ON

Posted 15 June 2018 - 04:01 PM

 serge, on 15 June 2018 - 03:03 PM, said:



Zach I love the idea of the congestion charge. Even if its $5-$10 it will discourage people to drive downtown.

Nice! Itís really the most effective thing weíve discovered so far. Though not perfect.

Think of congestion as an equilibrium between cost (dollars and time) and I guess convenience/comfort. Even when you expand roads, it tends to get filled up almost immediately because people realize it costs less time, until it gets back to that equilibrium.

I think, overtime, that equilibrium shifts up because people learn to accept longer delays, higher costs, etc. At least in the absence of comparable alternatives.

So a congestion charge would work, but over time, I guess unless you keep raising with inflation (and above if demand necessitates it), congestion slowly creeps back to equilibrium levels.

You can also have a dynamic congestion charge. Like, pass the cordon between 8 am and 6 pm on a weekday, charge 3x, on a Sunday, maybe itís free or just x. Right? We have the tech to do it.
QUOTE (serge @ Tuesday, May 12th, 2009, 7:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
LETS GO PITTSBURGH
QUOTE (Acid_Knight @ Monday, March 10th, 2008, 4:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Zach is right about pretty much everything.

#10973 Babying

Babying

    Poker Forum God

  • Members
  • 10,905 posts
  • Location:Toronto

Posted Today, 10:12 AM

Finally got to play Glen Abbey yesterday. Price to play was excellent but the pace of play very poor. Tee off at 12:39 and finished at 6:00 pm. The idiots behind us twice hit when we were still on the fairway

If I ever get my short game going I truly believe I can shoot low scores

My round was 100. Shot a 8 on the 18th. My scores are true scores. No mulligans.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users