Pokervt Knowledge Applicable Online?

Hello all,I'm new to the FCP forum but have been reading and learning a good deal from the strategy section and had a question about Daniel's pokerVT site which I was hoping to get some insight.Briefly, I'll explain that I'm a winning low stakes ($.5/$1.00) amateur online player, making enough money to supplement my income. I've began playing MTT's (mostly $5 and $11+R) and 180SNG's and have found great (although still early) success.My question, then, is how applicable is Daniel's pokerVT site to online play? I'd like to preface this question with the fact that I do plan on paying for access and exploring the site to get as much knowledge to improve my game as possible after the holidays.My main concern is that Daniel frequently says that the smallball approach he teaches is ideally suited for long, deepstack tournaments, which are few and far between online.So, is there a lot of value in applying Daniel's approach in a textbook fashion online? Or are there courses on pokerVT that tailor the tactics to the online tournament structures and overall atmosphere?Again, I plan on testing this all out soon, but I'm always interested in others' opinions before diving into something I don't know much about.Thanks,~Luke

His smallball section for deepstack tournaments is just a small part of the site.In addition to that you have him playing cashgames, online tournaments and headsup where he uses his smallball in different ways.On top of that you have all the other pros with several different unique styles, so you are really getting a very diverse package when you pay for pokervt.

To add to Rayen's post, I have found that even the live bits that are done, especially the Real Time Thought Process segment, where Daniel analyzes live hands while we here comments from the players. Hearing other players' comments is extremely helpful to understand the logic to one's style (even if it is weak). That has helped me play against similar players, where I can better determine a range of hands and how to exploit their weaknesses.When you come in new, you will have a ton of material at your fingertips. Plan on allocating a ton of time to PokerVT. Your game will thank you for it.

That's exactly what I was planning/hoping to do. I just wanted to get a little confirmation that there are as many different resources available as it seemed from the tour and little snippits that are available to demo. I've got the feeling I'll be spending the better part of the 1st two weeks after the holidays digesting the most immediately relevant info for my game.Thanks for the info!~Luke

Ugh, double post, sorry.
I get what your saying, Can I play small ball on line? I don't know if Daniel will agree with this But IMO small ball is just taking all the given variable and factors into consideraton when making a choice @ a poker table. Understanding Stack size, relative hand strength, position, villians calling/raising/ value ranges, pot size etc. You watch Junglen play and he uses small ball concepts in a way like when he opens for 2.6x @ one level then 2.5 x @ the next. Small ball is just about making profitable choices in good spots and under standing his hand range, stack size, board texture, tendencies etc.......Small ball is just playing good poker IMO! And it is just thinking about the game deeply and not making large mistakes.

Sigh. When people say small ball is for deepstacked tourneys. Thats kind of general. Its also about knowing your relative hand strength vs his stack size and range. Heres an example you have 5OObbs and a massive stack and you are on the button with 6c7c, A perfect small ball hand. You look over and the BB has 8 BB's and is shippin Kx+. So you decide to fold given that you have 7 high and since he is short stacked you need immeadiate showdown value and can't show a profit in this spot by raising . But If you are in the same spot and the BB has 300BBs. You are opening up 100% of the time because the times you make a straight or a flush vs him you are showing a massive profit. So would not opening in the first instance not make you a SB player and the second case it would? No, Of course not it is just about making solid profitable choices given all the variables @ hand.So the point I am trying to make is that you can't just watch Poker VT vids and say I am a small ball player IMO and I play small ball. I realize Daniel preaches very important tourney concepts like smaller raises and smaller bets on the flop, but thats just playing smart poker. IF they fold for 80% pot they will fold for 60% and if I bet 60 it has to work less to be successful. Sorry to ramble but I think its hard to say can I play small ball online and the answer is yes and no. Just like it would be in a live tourney depending on the structure and given factors. When Daniel goes deep in the Sunday Million its a pefect spot to play small ball given that Starting Stacks are 10k and blinds are relatively low so implied odds are there. But in a fast paced standard tourney where blinds increase quickly and stacks are shallower the time frame for small ball to pay off is limited and fast so it probably won't be profitable in that structue.So online Some situations it is profitable some it is not given start stack sizes and a lack of implied odds and so forth. But I mad ethis mistake @ first but with in the first two weeks made the change and has worked since. So I wouldnt say I play small ball poker I would say I play profitable poker. :club:

Like many items in poker, Small Ball is just showing a practical thought process behind poker decisions. Instead of saying, I have (pick two cards), I will raise. Instead Small Ball has taught a multitude of items to think about in a way that allows for a proper bet size at proper times, among other things. Small Ball has it's general rules, then has situations where those rules should not be followed. It's like cooking. You take a recipe and follow it to see how it turns out. The next time you make it, you flavor the recipe to your tastes.

Sigh. When people say small ball is for deepstacked tourneys. Thats kind of general. Its also about knowing your relative hand strength vs his stack size and range. Heres an example you have 5OObbs and a massive stack and you are on the button with 6c7c, A perfect small ball hand. You look over and the BB has 8 BB's and is shippin Kx+. So you decide to fold given that you have 7 high and since he is short stacked you need immeadiate showdown value and can't show a profit in this spot by raising . But If you are in the same spot and the BB has 300BBs. You are opening up 100% of the time because the times you make a straight or a flush vs him you are showing a massive profit. So would not opening in the first instance not make you a SB player and the second case it would? No, Of course not it is just about making solid profitable choices given all the variables @ hand.So the point I am trying to make is that you can't just watch Poker VT vids and say I am a small ball player IMO and I play small ball. I realize Daniel preaches very important tourney concepts like smaller raises and smaller bets on the flop, but thats just playing smart poker. IF they fold for 80% pot they will fold for 60% and if I bet 60 it has to work less to be successful. Sorry to ramble but I think its hard to say can I play small ball online and the answer is yes and no. Just like it would be in a live tourney depending on the structure and given factors. When Daniel goes deep in the Sunday Million its a pefect spot to play small ball given that Starting Stacks are 10k and blinds are relatively low so implied odds are there. But in a fast paced standard tourney where blinds increase quickly and stacks are shallower the time frame for small ball to pay off is limited and fast so it probably won't be profitable in that structue.So online Some situations it is profitable some it is not given start stack sizes and a lack of implied odds and so forth. But I mad ethis mistake @ first but with in the first two weeks made the change and has worked since. So I wouldnt say I play small ball poker I would say I play profitable poker. :club:
Agree with you ... especially in low-buyin tournys or sit'n'gos with 100bb or less you cannot play smallball just becuase the odds you are getting for making a call or raise with "small-ball hands" isn't there. Thnough general concepts like minraising and betting small still works perfectly fine.
Agree with you ... especially in low-buyin tournys or sit'n'gos with 100bb or less you cannot play smallball just becuase the odds you are getting for making a call or raise with "small-ball hands" isn't there. Thnough general concepts like minraising and betting small still works perfectly fine.
Early in a tournament in the online game I am basically playing a more standard style allmost a cash game style given the pots get big fast and I don't have implied odds to not 3 bet AA and I have to get value early. But once I get deep stacked and antes are invloved I am opening up so many pots like 2.3x. A tourney I took 4 th in I ran @ 35/30/4. So I was opening up alot of hands and peeling more than 3 betting in position. But ya adjusting to different stages and variables dictates your play.I remember when Daniel played the Poker Superstar Invitational I remember he gave a reason why he was playing tighter. Daniel open folded KJs I think if I remember correctly. I think it was a point structure reason or maybe high blinds but even the Small Baller of all Small Ballers adjusts when neccesary.