2 Weeks, 10 Tourneys, 8 Cashes, 5 Wins. Thanks Daniel

:club: Ok, here we go!Ok guys, I'll make it short and sweet. I know the original post was long and boring but forgive me. I have the July flu and tend to ramble.I wasn't a terrible player, just the average joe. I broke even in tournaments over the last year or so. On cash games, I made a little, I lost a little. I needed the extra edge. I couldn't get over the hump and win a tournament.I went to New Orleans and was out in 27 minutes at the WSOP. I lasted through the break on 3 tournaments in Tulsa. The best I had ever done was place 3rd in a monthly tournament at the Horseshoe.I was about to give up. If I was going to be mediocre, I wasn't going to waste anymore money on poker.I signed up to PVT as a last ditch effort and this is my result. Call it a rush if you want to but these are the facts.Since June 1st these are my results8th ($225 freezeout)no cash ($75 rebuy)1st ($75 rebuy)1st (WSOP Main event qualifier $120 rebuy)5th ($75 rebuy)1st ($225 freezeout)no cash ($440 mega sat. at Winstar)1st ($75 rebuy)1st ($65 rebuy but there were only 22 players)1st (WSOP Main event qualifier $120 rebuy) 8th ($225 freezeout)So that is actually 6 wins, if you include the small 22 player tournament.Thanks guys and good luck to PVT. You can only go up from here.p.s. Daniel, if you read this, what is your opinion of the WSOP Academy? I have a friend that really wants me to go with him to the primer but I don’t know how it will affect my play afterwards. Thanks again guys. You truly made a dreamer become a champion. I hope to shake your hand and thank you in person at the Main Event. Good luck and congrats on your fourth bracelet. See ya on the 3rd Matt!
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, Vandees, you posted a topic asking where there might be a house for sale that will be on CSI, and I'm the dork? You'll have to move to Santa Clarita, CA. Good luck with that. Hey guys. I didn't mean to stir anything here. I am just pumped about PVT. No, this isn't a joke account (though I might be a little dorky). No one told me to put this here. I just wanted to encourage the guys that are thinking about joining to join. I know it was a little long but everything in it was true. I made more money after joining PVT than I did over the past year or so. The fact is this. Not everyone is a great player like you two. Most of us are a little dorky and dream of being the poker pro one day. I know that it will never happen but we can dream can't we. I am just glad that someone like Daniel decided to put PVT up and help guys like us out. I know that it makes it harder for guys like you to win now but that's the breaks.I really can't say anything bad about the site. It has a few errors here and there but overall it's great.I hope to see the two of you at the Main Event.Good luck.

Wow!I never thought that placing an encouraging message to others about my experience with PVT would stir so much crap.Are there that many people out there on tilt 24/7?
look, in response to this and your PM, I'm sure you thought the thing is great or whatever, but all your posts like computer automated spam used to encourage people to buy the product. It reminds of the actors on the infomercials who act like the product absolutely changed their life and over-dramitize it all, and act as if this knife didn't cut through a steel door then their life wouldn't be worth living.

Jam,Thanks man for the response. I'm sorry if it appears that I am spamming. I have to be honest and say that I have tried all the crap that the other guys have. For the average players like me, you have to admit, it is pretty amazing to go from no wins in about two years to winning this many times in 2 weeks. Yes, I am telling all the average Joe's out there that if they sign up and truly use the system, it will make a difference. I do not appologize for that. I hate infomercials myself. Everytime I see that guy playing poker that use to sell realestate systems that said "You afraid to make money!", it makes me sick. If there are any guys out there that are using the system and it's not working for them, I encourage them to write and tell why. I am just one of the guys that it clicked for. It will not help when donkey's make a call and draw out on ya, but it definately will help guys that have been playing A-x in early position or raising with K-J in middle position. This system will help guys, like me, that knew nothing at all about playing position, made calls after a re-raise with a small pair, and knew nothing at all about the math of the game. I would like to ask everyone out there that thinks I am spamming this question. What if you were in my shoes? If you played in 4-5 tournaments every week for almost two years and placed several times but never won and then you signed onto PVT and in two weeks won two WSOP Main Event Qualifier $120 rebuy tournaments (that you never placed in before) and won 3 other nice sized tournaments and 1 small one? Would you just think that you were on a rush or would you feel that you made a pretty good change. I really shouldn't be encouraging others to buy the damn thing but I hope they do. I would rather play against guys that beat me with knowedge than being sucked out on by the guys that use to play like me. The site it good for the game. Can you tell me that you haven't gotten mad at a guy that played Q-10 off against your Ace's after you raised and he sucked out with a strait? Thanks again for your explanation of the "Spam" and I hope you are no longer offended that I placed a positive message for guys considering the investment in PVT.Thanks

Paul, Not sure why you got so much flack on the post, maybe because of your relative newness to the site? Anyway, I've been here bout a year and a half and as I posted elsewhere in this topic, PokerVT has made a HUGE change in my play as well. I'm sure every site is what you make of it, but I totally get "it" from PokerVT. I hope you have continued success!!!!

for a player that new nothing about position and such . once you learn that the game is like a whole new beast , everything starts to make sense and you avoid being in alot of tricky spots so i def agree with you on that , your post;s were kinda ghay for us thick skined folk :club: jk but i know exactly what you mean.keep up the good work and gl in the wsop . post your real name so we can cheer you on if you get deep in any .

Thanks guys for the post guys. I'll tell ya the truth, it scares the crap out of me to think about playing with that many people. I have performed poorly in that atmosphere. I lasted 27 minutes in New Orleans and only lasted past the first break in Scotty's Tulsa tournament. Any advice from the vets out there would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to the WSOP Academy the weekend before the main event and I will probably play in some of the tournaments around town that week to see if it improves how I play in large tournaments. I haven't found it yet but I hope they put information on playing in large tournaments out there. Any ideas on some tournaments between the 1st and 4th in Vegas? I plan on playing one of the last two first days in the Main.My wife and I will be there for about two weeks so wish me luck, but don't expect to root too long for me in that craziness. Pray I get over this illness. This sucks! It is extremely hard to concentrate when your nose is about to fall off you're face. I'm skipping a lot of tournaments this week to rest up. I also have to haul hay for all the horses that my wife has. That's going to be a great thing to do after this! Oh well. She has horses and I have poker. Trust me, my hobby is cheaper!GL guys!Paul

Congratulations Paul!When you get a great result after a lot of hard work, you post it if you belong to a forum. When I (finally) won a significant tournament I also posted it and got encouraging replies. Congrats and keep posting. Ahem, you DO realize that the forum will demand :club: progress reports on your Main Event game :ts .What is your online handle on PokerStars so I can add you to my WATCH LIST at www.bluffmagazine.com/thepokerdb 'personal dashboard'?Congrats !

Congratulations Paul!When you get a great result after a lot of hard work, you post it if you belong to a forum. When I (finally) won a significant tournament I also posted it and got encouraging replies. Congrats and keep posting. Ahem, you DO realize that the forum will demand :club: progress reports on your Main Event game :ts .What is your online handle on PokerStars so I can add you to my WATCH LIST at www.bluffmagazine.com/thepokerdb 'personal dashboard'?Congrats !
Thanks Flint!I will let you guys know how poorly I am doing out there, even if it tears at me to do so. Thanks for the encouragement. I played the WSOP Sat on Thurs and placed 13th. Not too good but it could have been worse. Thanks again!Paul

Sorry if I came off a little harsh Paul, but spam is one thing that really annoys me. You're obviously a genuine poster so I don't really have a problem now. I just wasn't sure if you were just some computerized account or something, coz your first post did sound a little informercial-y. Anyway, well done and I wish you continued success :club:

Thanks Jam,I won a small $175 Freezout on Monday. That made 7 wins in 2 1/2 weeks. The system worked very well but tonight I shouldn't have gone.I had terrible news about my Dad. He has a tumor that has to be removed from his lip and it was cancer. He should do fine but when you hear th C-word it kinda takes it out of you. He has a 95% survival rate so it's very little chance of being bad, but that 5% can tear at ya.Everyone wanted me to go to the tourney tonight and get my mind off things. My wife and I moved down here to take care of them in their golden years. I have the number one wife in the world. Anyway, I shouldn't have gone. I played the worst poker of my life. I made a move at a pot and when I was called, I tried to steal a flop of A-5-Q, turn J, and river Q and made a wild bet each time until he went all in on the river. Took my last 1600 to another table and was not patient at all. There were 5 limpers before me, and I was on the button with Q-J off. I called the 200. There were 8 of us on the flop of 9-4-3 and everyone checked so I went all in. One guy called with A-Q and the Ace held up. I took my $175 and went all in with A-K with 4 callers and got a strt on the river. I should have been patient with my bounty but was the big blind with A-Q and the flop was 10-10-10 and the small blind raised and I went all in. He had 7-7. What a dumb lot of hands I played!!! I never once looked at anyone's chips. I played Jh-9h under the gun, Q-10 off, in early position, Kd-5d after a raise.... my mind was nowhere near the game! If I play like that this weekend at the Acadamy, I don't think I can waste the seat at the ME! I am thinking about canceling the trip but everyone said that it would make my Dad feel like a burden and he doesn't need any stress. He has a very poor imune system so we need to keep his spirits up.I have no chance of winning anything in the ME anyway. I don't know what my arrogant ego is thinking of going to the dang thing anyway. Anyway, thanks Jam for the kind words. Posting here is keeping my mind off things.

Thanks Jam,I won a small $175 Freezout on Monday. That made 7 wins in 2 1/2 weeks. The system worked very well but tonight I shouldn't have gone.I had terrible news about my Dad. He has a tumor that has to be removed from his lip and it was cancer. He should do fine but when you hear th C-word it kinda takes it out of you. He has a 95% survival rate so it's very little chance of being bad, but that 5% can tear at ya.Everyone wanted me to go to the tourney tonight and get my mind off things. My wife and I moved down here to take care of them in their golden years. I have the number one wife in the world. Anyway, I shouldn't have gone. I played the worst poker of my life. I made a move at a pot and when I was called, I tried to steal a flop of A-5-Q, turn J, and river Q and made a wild bet each time until he went all in on the river. Took my last 1600 to another table and was not patient at all. There were 5 limpers before me, and I was on the button with Q-J off. I called the 200. There were 8 of us on the flop of 9-4-3 and everyone checked so I went all in. One guy called with A-Q and the Ace held up. I took my $175 and went all in with A-K with 4 callers and got a strt on the river. I should have been patient with my bounty but was the big blind with A-Q and the flop was 10-10-10 and the small blind raised and I went all in. He had 7-7. What a dumb lot of hands I played!!! I never once looked at anyone's chips. I played Jh-9h under the gun, Q-10 off, in early position, Kd-5d after a raise.... my mind was nowhere near the game! If I play like that this weekend at the Acadamy, I don't think I can waste the seat at the ME! I am thinking about canceling the trip but everyone said that it would make my Dad feel like a burden and he doesn't need any stress. He has a very poor imune system so we need to keep his spirits up.I have no chance of winning anything in the ME anyway. I don't know what my arrogant ego is thinking of going to the dang thing anyway. Anyway, thanks Jam for the kind words. Posting here is keeping my mind off things.
Hey Paul -Sorry to hear about your dad. Can be a scary thing but it sounds like he'll be ok.I know you mentioned attending the WSOP Academy in one of your other posts. I happen to know the guys that run it. I can save you around 15% off the normal price.Just PM me your phone number if you're still interested and I'll have someone give you a call.Thanks,Matt

Paul, Sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope you have a great time at the Academy!!! Make sure to post back and let us know how it goes.......Lisa

Man I can't tell you how much it means for everyone's support. My Dad is doing great. He's just ready to get the sugery over with and get back to his garden.I went to the El Dorado tonight and placed 6th. We only had 52 players but it's still 14 tourneys and 11 final tables with 7 wins so I can's complain. I wish I could do as well in the large tournaments but I suck in those. Maybe the acadameny will help, if I go. The ME is a once in a lifetime thing for me but you only have one Dad, and family means more to me than winning it. Though I know a few in the family I might sacrifice for a couple of wins! Seriously though guys, it's great to have your support and prayers. I'll know later this week if I am going or not and if I'll play in the ME. I may at least go the the Academy but I don't know if I'll stay for the ME. What would be my chances anyway?!I'll keep in touch and thanks again.Paul

well i obviously never ever post here (was suprised to see i already had an account) but VT seems awesome from the few hours ive looked at it. as a total dumbass im actually looknig forward to the math section ha!

in fact that was my first post.
Hey Scallop! I am honored that you chose mine to be the first you posted to! You will not regret signing up. Matt and the guys are great. They are having a few glitches every now and then but that is to be expected with new startup with this much video on it. One suggestion. Even though you aren't a new player, you need to check out the beginner section. This game is all about fundementals. It's just a like a football player or a golfer (Daniel). You are always taught to keep the fundementals fresh in your mind and you'll score big.I had a friend that I respect as one of the best poker players around come up to me last night, grab my hand and started rubbing it sayint "I have got to rub some of that luck off for me!! Just kiddin man. With this many final tables, it is not all about luck! That's great to see players like that come up and commend my play. I never thought that would happen. I listen to the Daniel before every game. I hope the guys don't get on me for spamming again but I also recommend "The Psychology of Poker" and "Tournament Poker" by David Sklansky, if you like to read. Good luck man! I hope to see you at the ME one day.Paul

Well what a trip! We started off and were five hours out and hit a cow! That's right, a cow!It was pitch black and we were just about to the hotel and we hit this black cow. I turned the wheel just in time, I only had a fraction of a second cause the thing just appeared, and it took out my left side. I can't believe it was able to drive after that but we still drove the thing to Vegas.Saw Daniel, Doyle, Phil, Huck, Barry, Erik, and several others playing HORSE. Daniel was doing great but after my wife and I left, he got into a bad hand and was crippled. He later went out 13th, I think. Looks pretty good for Scotty and Erik. You can never count out Barry either. That hurt Daniels chances, since he needed a 3rd and the other two only needed a 6th or 7th. My wife got some great pictures of Daniel. What a great opportunity it was. You don't get many shots with Doyle, Barry, and Phil sitting next to each other in a tournament. What a trip. Vegas has sure changed since I was here as a lad in the early 90's. Twenty years make a huge difference. I'll go to the academy in the morning and decide later if I'll get into the ME or not. My Dad is doing great but we'll know more in a couple of weeks. He really wanted us to go to the ME but I don't see how I could ever stand a chance against that many people. It is very scary to see that many tables and huge lines of guys wanting to get into a Satelite.Thanks again guys for all your thoughts and prayers for my Dad. I'll let yall know how things turn out, and if I get into the ME.Paul

Hey guys. The Academy is going pretty well. My friend Justin and I sat up on Sunday night and I showed him PVT site. He got the small ball concept down pretty well and went on to win $5,000 worth of chips in the Academy tournament!I, on the other hand, couldn't get paid off for my Kings and such and went totally card dead. After a few hours I was sitting the rail rooting for Justin. The Academy is great and I really recommend it! Mark Seif, Annie Duke and Joe Navarro did a great job today of training us poker wannabes! Alex Outhred and Paul Wasicka gave me some of the greatest pointers for the ME you can find. For one thing, I know I have been doing great in small tournaments, but in the large ones I have been sucking. I need to settle down and only play the small pots for a while and not risk my entire tournament for $4000 when I will need the larger pots of $20,000 and $200,000 later on. Be patient. Well, I really need to get some sleep and prepare for tomorrow. I saw poor Daniel at the Horse and the guy was giving it all he had. I am glad for Scotty though. He is a great player and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet in this ego filled poker world. At least a real player won it and not some hack like me. It really is more of a game for the real champions and not for the everyday Joe to pull in.

Well, I changed my ME day to Sunday. They are not taking anymore Sunday spots. When I got in there were a little over 1300. They are averaging everything out.Pretty cool day today. Sat and talked to Alex Outhred for a while. He has a great article in All In you should read about tells.Then I ran into Devilfish. He had quite a badbeat story. Then I met with the guys at Pokervt. What a great bunch of fellas. They are working their butts off on the site and I think they are going to be making some more great improvements soon. I'll hopefully get to talk to Daniel on Saturday. As most of you know, he changed his day to Friday because schedule change and I, like the idiot I am, changed mine to Sunday in hopes that I could do a little more work on the game. I had a couple of bad beats in the two megas I played. The first mega had 297 people and I finished somewhere around 75. I had queens on the button with an allin in the 4th position preflop. I called and he showed Ad 4d. As you can expect, he turned an Ace and rivered the flush.The second was a $550 mega with 380 in it and I finished somewhere around 150. I was slowly building a nice chipstack when the guy under the gun raised 3x and I was on the button again with KK this time and went all in since my raise would have only been 2x. He called with 44 and hit a 4 on the flop and had be covered by about 500. Oh well, like I always say, if you don't have a badbeat story to tell after the last hand is played you weren't playing good poker.The sit and go I played lasted 3.5 hours! We started with 1500 and I was third and the guy would not chop for 1k each but oh well. I played well but you can't do much when you go card dead and the blinds are 600-1200! The dealer said it was the longest s n g that she has ever dealt. My Dad is doing great! He is one tough old bird.

Hey mate...I have been really close to signing up to pokervt but I just can't seen to do it ( I don't know why..I really want to learn more about the game) After reading this topic and seeing you on rawvegas talking to Daniel, I am REALLY keen to join and will probably do so in the next day or so...thank-you for writing this topic as I think it will be the contributing factor that will make me join...it's good to see an 'Average Joe' do well from this training package.Hope your Dad is OK...and good luck on Sunday...Cheers.Anton