One of the first hands at the table, villain is unknown. I hate when I get into spots like this and I feel it's a big leak in my game, either paying off made flushes or weakly folding. Is a check/fold line weak here?PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (8 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: FlopTurnRiver)MP1 ($35.55)MP2 ($101.35)CO ($43.50)Button ($17.20)Hero ($50)BB ($59.30)UTG ($75.60)UTG+1 ($44.90)Preflop: Hero is SB with 9spade.gif, 7spade.gif. 2 folds, MP1 calls $0.50, 3 folds, Hero completes, BB checks.Flop: ($1.50) 8spade.gif, 9heart.gif, 6heart.gif(3 players)Hero bets $1, BB folds, MP1 calls $1.Turn: ($3.50) 9club.gif(2 players)Hero bets $2, MP1 calls $2.River: ($7.50) Aheart.gif(2 players)Hero checks, MP1 bets $3.5, Hero?

i agree i'd have bet more on the flop & turn, and i might have bet out on the river w/ like $4... but as this was played i personally couldn't get away from that...if he got there he got there... you're gettin 3:1 to know for sure...but personally, i wouldn't fold right there...*EDIT*if he flips over the flush, call him "a donkey for drawing to a flush on a paired board" lolz((sw obv))

i like the way you played it up to the riveri might have made a small value bet on the river, like $2 or something...as played it's an easy call

Checking river is better than betting river, by betting the river you don't get to go to showdown or you have to call a bigger bet to get there when you are behind. It's also tough to see many value bet hands here that you are ahead of.Checking river you get to induce bluff from someone holding something like 7x or 10J to win money when they otherwise wouldn't put money in and when they have the flush you got to showdown for cheaper.

I would definitely call this. He could very easily have two pair, or a busted straight draw. A pot sized bet on the turn would have been ideal, but your bet isn't bad. If he has it, then it's time to start namecalling.

I would bet more on turn because you are very likely ahead.If he's agressive I can see an argument for a turn ch/r.River depending on opponent style (calls a lot, passive or tricky, bluffs missed draws) you could bet/fold or ch/c a reasonable bet. I would never fold but for a large overbet.

Checking river is better than betting river, by betting the river you don't get to go to showdown or you have to call a bigger bet to get there when you are behind. It's also tough to see many value bet hands here that you are ahead of.Checking river you get to induce bluff from someone holding something like 7x or 10J to win money when they otherwise wouldn't put money in and when they have the flush you got to showdown for cheaper.
That's where the opponent's playing style is important. I'd definitely check-call a habitual bluffer, but plenty of people at the lower stakes don't bluff much. If I'm up against someone who doesn't bluff much, I'd make a $2 blocking bet on this river and fold to a raise.Major question is does this person feel more comfortable calling bets or making bets. If they're a caller, make the blocking bet, set the price, and get paid off by a hand like a7 or 87. If their a bettor/raiser, check-call. The problem with that is villain likely got there and by letting him set the price, you're making his call on the turn correct from an implied odds standpoint.