richard belski - cardplayer.com

I am unhappy with his overall performance... very unprofessional and he is starting to get a little cocky, not to mention he appears to be a horrible poker player...QQ57 reraise in PLO, cmon dude get a little knowledge b4 interviewing the myth, the man, the legend, texas dolly...I'd bet a million phil ivey would never talk to that little punk...Aaron, I could do a better job....DANIEL CONCENTRATE ON THE TOURNIES MORE... its the WSOP and no final tables.... cmon bro

This guy is an absolute hand job. He doesn't seem to know didly squat about playing cards. The Omaha vignette w/ Doyle was embarassing, as was his wrapup of his exit from the limit Hold 'Em event. I don't know too much about limit Hold 'Em, but getting in a raising war w/ two pair with a flush on board seems dumb to me. Also would somebody tell this guy he's not reporting "LIVE" from the floor. Live implies it is a live feed, streaming, obviously these vignettes are edited and uploaded to Card Player.com, so they are NOT LIVE.

This is not a thread to flame this guy, I am just curious how you get a job like that? Does anyone the story behind this kid?
The way it usually works is is you become an intern, and then you push your way to a reporting project like this or someone pushes you. I lay even money ($100) that he knew someone at Cardplayer before getting the job - (no fair bet if you already know the answer).I'm very happy with his coverage and he's better than many interns broadcast I've seen even on CNN in terms of content. Bear in mind I don't see an intern on CNN unless they do or say something stupid or silly. When that happens, it gets forwarded all over.I plan on doing a little piece on him when I get to the WSOP. He is a public figure and the those videos are the best we have in coverage right now. Yeah, it could be better, but I'm happy with it and look forward to it getting better and better.Just compare this year, to last year and you'll see where my mindset is coming from. I also worked for 4 years in news broadcasting.

also, its Richard Belsky.I recognize that a lot (minority? majority??) of people don't like the way he's doing it, but would you rather they not have it done? Or are you guys just looking for a replacement?Show me better video content and I'll hop on board. For now I like it and watch all the videos. More and better would be good, but I'm glad with what I've got.

Despite the amount of televised poker we see, poker media is still in its infancy. We're stuck with a guy like Richard Belsky doing the interviews and reports from Vegas because the game's media coverage hasn't progressed to the point where we have savvy, veteran media types willing to get involved. There is no Jim Gray or Stuart Scott in poker (imagine that I'd be saying that as a compliment to either of those guys), so Card Player is stuck sending the nervous copy boy intern. Belsky's being thrown into the fire, and he's hanging in there. Give the kid a break.Edit: In the time it took me to write this, apparently the compassionate and understanding forumites came out of the woodwork and rallied behind the kid. Way to steal my thunder, guys.Nah, it's good to hear he's got some support on here.

Despite the amount of televised poker we see, poker media is still in its infancy. We're stuck with a guy like Richard Belsky doing the interviews and reports from Vegas because the game's media coverage hasn't progressed to the point where we have savvy, veteran media types willing to get involved. There is no Jim Gray or Stuart Scott in poker (imagine that I'd be saying that as a compliment to either of those guys), so Card Player is stuck sending the nervous copy boy intern. Belsky's being thrown into the fire, and he's hanging in there. Give the kid a break.Edit: In the time it took me to write this, apparently the compassionate and understanding forumites came out of the woodwork and rallied behind the kid. Way to steal my thunder, guys.Nah, it's good to hear he's got some support on here.
thank god there is no stuart scott covering poker...i can see it now" booya hellmuth layed down the best hand" very annoying....i like jim grey tho...id like to see rich eisen covering poker...

Richard Belsky is by far better than that other guy named Matt who fills in for him sometimes. Video clips Massage Part 1 & 2 and Havana Honey's were terrible. Unprofessional and he didn't ask good questions. I enjoyed Rich's interviews with Daniel and Barry on the heads up matches. He asks the right questions on what the public wants to know and what we are interested in. He even got "PokerLoser" in an interview to talk about his bet with Daniel. Very entertaining.

I agree with this. He is asking better questions than most interviewers that ve've seen. He is obviously a player and though seems limited there, he is many degrees ahead of all the other stupid 30-sec "tv interviews" we've seen in the past. The fact that he got "pokerloser" on and fills out the backstory is great.So, again, the challenge is to the nay saysers -- show us better. I do hope he got the Doyle / Omaha interview in one take though. I saw it and have no idea why you guys are making such a big deal out of it. So, he doesn't know that QQ94x is a crappy hand - he's still better than any other short segment interviewer I've seen with their stupid fluff questions.

Ok I like the guy and the way he does interviews but someone please tell him to move the mic to his mouth when he's talking. He seems to be lately just keeping it on the person he interviews. Someone needs to mic his shirt.

alright from what i got from talkin to him out there and doing an interview with him...he is a really nice guy...well hes like my age so we got along ok and it seems that everyone i saw him do an interview with was pretty genuine with him. I asked him how he got this job and he said that after he was done college he sent some of his work meaning i suppose his writings and such he has done before and they called him back b/c they liked what they read and the job basically fell into his lap. I guess they needed someone to do this and be flexible with thier schedule since he is there in the morning till almost the end of the night. Thats pretty much what i gathered from talkin to him

Is a friend of mine. I have played poker with him, and he just graduated from Pitt Law School. He has never had any prior experience with reporting, and he never interned with Cardplayer. We all play(ed) poker in Pittsburgh and Belsky got the job through a guy that he met by playing in the PA Poker tournaments. Rich is a pretty cool dude, and I believe is doing a rather fine job. Not to mention he is getting to live out a job that many if not all of us would love to be able to have. If you do not like his videos, then simply do not watch them, and he is very receptive to constructive criticism. I was able to get him to get on and post on other forums that started this same type of thread, and I will also attempt to get him to get on here. He loves to hear the feedback and is always attempting to get better at what he does.L* :club:

yea totally forgot about the pitt law school thing...i will aggree nice guy though...and for having no previous interviewing experience i think he is doing a good job

The good news: He seems to be getting better.The bad news: He still suc ks.
If that is your opinion then so be it, however, it would be of much more help if you could give an explanation as to why you think so. Too many people are too quick to point the finger.

To be specific, he stumbles over a lot of what he says. There are a lot of umm...sooo's and he downright seems nervous a lot of the time, which to me, is uncomfortable to watch. The second thing is that he really doesn't seem to know poker or the people he's interviewing and seems to ask a lot of the same questions to the same person, but in different forms, which gets annoying for the interviewee and the audience. Not trying to flame, just giving constructive criticism. :club: