Answer to Quizz Question #3

This one was actually a pretty easy one, but don't feel bad if you got it wrong! In the situation I described, folding would be a horrible play. It is a one table satellite that pays just ONE spot and you are in last place. The blinds are already high and there is a substancial amount of money in the pot already. Even if you put your opponent on a hand like A-Q with one club and feel like it's a race situation, it's a race you must run. You are being laid a decent price in a situation where it's likely that you are in a race situation or could have way the best hand. Worst case scenario is that you are dead on the flop, but if that were true you would have to question why I would move all in with a flush in that spot? That quizz question came from a real hand at the WSOP Tournament of Champions. I had actually had a 8 :) 8 :D and moved all in knowing that unless I was up against an over pair that also had a club in it I was in "ok" shape. The laydown of the jacks was significantly incorrect in that spot.

Yikes, I missed this one. I suppose I agree that you need to make a stand somewhere to have a chance at winning -- it's just that I would rather be the one choosing the time and pushing the action instead of someone else.My opinion would dramatically change if I knew the other players were betting big on top pairs and overcards. If that were how the table were going, I would probably call.

LOL! I had so much passion for my wrong answer, I feel like a dope!Though, I have played 4 times with my pair of jacks in the past few days, lost 3 times and won once. I am sure I lose because of my prejudice against them, I am sure I do not bet right, etc.I won on the hand after reading a book I got for Christmas (I am not going to say which one until I am done reading it. I don't want to hear any criticism until I am done.) The book says play jacks strong preflop (duh) but had more good reasons why than my suspicions of them.Well, I humbley concede that I still have no clue what I am doing. Thanks Daniel for the challenge!

Feels good to be right :-) Thanks for the quizzes Daniel, I really think they help us amatuer(I apologize if anvybody here is a "pro") players see things from your point of view. Watch out for us at the WSOP next year!P.S. Are all the quizzes going to be about NL Hold Em? What about Omaha?

I know folding would have been a bad move, calling would have been the right move. BUT... Jacks... No matter what happens, I lose with them. Call it superstition, call it what you will, hell call it stupidity even. But JJ has a curse...

LOL! I had so much passion for my wrong answer, I feel like a dope!Though, I have played 4 times with my pair of jacks in the past few days, lost 3 times and won once.  I am sure I lose because of my prejudice against them, I am sure I do not bet right, etc.I won on the hand after reading a book I got for Christmas (I am not going to say which one until I am done reading it. I don't want to hear any criticism until I am done.) The book says play jacks strong preflop (duh) but had more good reasons why than my suspicions of them.Well, I humbley concede that I still have no clue what I am doing. Thanks Daniel for the challenge!
Sounds like you don't want to admit you're reading Hellmuth's book! lol ;-) It's ok though... I've read most of it too.
  • 2 weeks later...

I said fold. JJ is a weak hand to take a stand with since an A, K, or Q (an overcard) will flop over 50% of the time. It's the borderline pair hand where there is better than 50% chance an overcard will flop as one of the three cards in the flop.If you fold, you still have enough chips to get completely around the 10 spots another 2-3 times to see 20-30 hands conservatively with blinds increasing again once maybe. Maybe then if you catch even a smaller pair, you won't be up against such a bad board that could only be helping your adversary if it was helping either of you.I would think that someone with as much post-flop confidence as DN would try to get his chips in a better situation. The big blind called your raise, you didn't call his raise, so you don't know what he might have and he has the element of surprise. He could already have an overpair, and since you don't have any black cards in your hand the flop was a three flush black, just doesn't make sense when you will still have some chips to play well with or take another shot with a better board in the next two or even three rounds around the table. You don't have to play this fast with that many chips left, no?

• 2 weeks later...

My thought process was such...I would call without thinking, due to the fact that if I fold now, I'm at only 10x the big blind (with an ante as well) and I'm pretty much gonna have to push with any good hand from here on out. And as much as everyone hates Jacks, chances are you won't get a better hand before you're forced to make that decision. My question is (and forgive me if this sounds amateurish, I am one of those after all) : Why not push all in preflop? You're not likely to get a better hand before the blinds and antes whittle my stack away.

• 1 month later...

This is tough just cause the example you use comes from a tourney where the person who folded actually ended up winning the whole thing and with a fold is still 10x times the big blind. I think her thinking is you either have an over pair or over cards and flush draw. Which is the decision between being dominated or coin flip. I don't think it is as easy a decision as you say it is.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

interesting taking this quiz.... ty! Gives me a chance to see if I know as much about play as I think I might :-)

• 4 months later...