i started playing limit like i was told by u guys. I was playing .25/.50. Just made me mad how everybody is just chaseing cards. What is the best way to play in limit/ tight or just sit back and way for a good hand. I even have trouble seeing a lots of flop with bad cards because it is so cheap any advice for meKlippi

i started playing limit like i was told by u guys. I was playing .25/.50. Just made me mad how everybody is just chaseing cards. What is the best way to play in limit/ tight or just sit back and way for a good hand. I even have trouble seeing a lots of flop with bad cards because it is so cheap any advice for meKlippi
Best rule in poker. If the table is loose play tight, if the table is tight play loose.You are going to have chasers at about any level, but extreme chasing at the 0.25/0.50. Good news is when you get a hand you get lots of action and paid big. Bad news is you are gonna suffer more suckouts and 'bad beats'
Best rule in poker. If the table is loose play tight, if the table is tight play loose.
no offense, but that is the worst advice you could give someone. It's also a myth and very inaccurate to say the least.
Best rule in poker. If the table is loose play tight, if the table is tight play loose.
no offense, but that is the worst advice you could give someone. It's also a myth and very inaccurate to say the least.
If I can recall Sklansky correectly, you SHOULD play tighter in a loose game, and looser in a tight game, as far as... you should semi-bluff more in a tight game, and do it rarely in a loose game. The principle behind this is the fact that hands don't have as much of a high value in a tight game, compared to a loose game.
Best advice I have ever read and it is the way I always play once I have a feel for the table. Not a 'myth' or 'inaccurate'. Its a proven mathematical strategy. There are certainly lots of ways one can play depending on skill level and table structure, but for someone starting off at the $0.25/$0.50 level I think it is very applicable to play tight at a loose table
Hey, just a warning, not a flame.If you don't read SSHE before you play .25/.50 you'll likely approach the game with an incorrect strategy and just get ticked that no one is taking your raises seriously and rule out the game as unbeatable because "no one cares about calling down to the river" with chases.You're actually likely to give your money away to me or someone else who has read SSHE.The games are beatable, very much so. Go spend 14 dollars on amazon and read Small Stakes Hold Em by Sklansky before you lose 10 times that learning to play the limit game at low limits.
Actually, the worst advice you could give someone, would be to listen to you. Seriously, did you even read the post, or any of the responses before quoting? Or did you just randomly pick a line, and decide to respond to it?

yeah I totally agree that you should read SSHE. There is a reason why everyone is recommending it. I just started playing poker not too long ago and someone advised me to buy SSHE. I learn so much even just from the first few sessions on starting hand and preflop actions.

Hey, just a warning, not a flame.If you don't read SSHE before you play .25/.50 you'll likely approach the game with an incorrect strategy and just get ticked that no one is taking your raises seriously and rule out the game as unbeatable because "no one cares about calling down to the river" with chases.You're actually likely to give your money away to me or someone else who has read SSHE.The games are beatable, very much so. Go spend 14 dollars on amazon and read Small Stakes Hold Em by Sklansky before you lose 10 times that learning to play the limit game at low limits.
is it better than TOP?what are the important things it mentions?thanks.

One key thing in games where people chase a lot is that suitedness is very important. If you're debating about whether to play a hand the advice is SSHE is to call if it's suited and fold if it's not. With two suited cards in the hole you'll make a flush about 6% of the time. While it may not seem like much it can bail you out of trouble often enough that suited hands play much better in the games than non-suited ones.I can't stress reading Small Stakes Hold'em enough. That book will make you see just how easily these games are beaten if you approach them in a correct way.

The games are beatable, very much so. Go spend 14 dollars on amazon and read Small Stakes Hold Em by Sklansky before you lose 10 times that learning to play the limit game at low limits.
I assume you mean Theory of Poker, to which I would reply: They are good for different things. I would recommend reading both, but SSHE first so you can get your game on at the low limits and then once you've comfortable and established with the words of SSHE, you can get Theory of Poker.
The games are beatable, very much so. Go spend 14 dollars on amazon and read Small Stakes Hold Em by Sklansky before you lose 10 times that learning to play the limit game at low limits.
And when they say you'll eventually get paid off by those chasers, they're right. Last night I was down 39BB over the course of 2 hours... made 41BB on two consecutive hands with chasers coming after my nut flush and straight. Stay the course, and READ SSHE!Thank you for your time. This has been a recording.
I assume you mean Theory of Poker, to which I would reply: They are good for different things. I would recommend reading both, but SSHE first so you can get your game on at the low limits and then once you've comfortable and established with the words of SSHE, you can get Theory of Poker.
ya, theory of poker.i can never find it in B&M bookstores in brampton.thanks.
ya, theory of poker.i can never find it in B&M bookstores in brampton.thanks.
If you play on Stars you can get one free with like 2000 fpp points. Sklansy even personalized mine with a "to my name" and autographed it. Said something corny too like "Beat Poker Stars!"
That is probably your biggest leak, stop doing that. Forget about the money involved. Think of it in terms of big bets, try to maximize how many bets you are winning. You don't have to play every hand to win a lot of bets because bad players will still pay you off for your good hands, even if you are playing tight. They don't pay attention, use it to your advantage.
will sshe help with tourney play to
Your question is a difficult one. Your overall play will be improved from reading SSHE, but it targets low level limit holdem and not tournaments. There are other books that address this more in depth. Still, along the way of your poker growth, start with SSHE, move to TOP, and then you'll be educated enough to know where you want to take your education and game.
It's funny. but I think you're both right, except playing tight isn't "the worst advice you could give someone". Starting hand selection isn't nearly as important as postflop play, and maximizing your involvement in hands against your weak opponents. one way of beating these weak opponenets is getting your money in with the best hands, and for the most part it works. Sklansky saying that it's beneficial to play tight in looser games and loose in tighter games, is with the idea in mind that your opponents are of equal skill (there are loose players that are good). But another tactic, is playing a bit looser, relying on your sound postflop decision making. If you look at the hand recommendations is SSHE, they're actually pretty loose. The bottom line is that fish will always pay you off, and there are many ways of going about it.
That is without a doubt the best rule in poker.
'And I thought the best rule was don't put your active cards in the muck. :wink:
That rule is thousands of times better than "maximize your advantages and minimize your disadvantages".(sw)
No it is not. Speaking strictly about limit poker, if your table is playing loose you can play looser. You are getting better pot odds, so you play more hands preflop. Suited aces, suited connectors and small pocket pairs become much more profitable in limit HE with many players seeing the flop than they are with few players seeing the flop. In fact, loose tables are what you want in limit HE. When you make you straight and flushes, you get paid off HUGE by chasers.Several people have mentioned SSHE in this thread. I have read it cover to cover and I am pretty sure it says (verbatim) that the "play loose at a tight table..." advice is BAD ADVICE. I loaned my copy to a friend, can anybody verify this.