Home Games With Chip Leads

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of making ALL games start with a 1600-1400 lead for the home team. That means during the regular season as well. As you all have noted, "It's not that big an edge" which is exactly why it makes sense. It should help make sure that home team's actually have a slight advantage, and it will make the playoff scenario's so much easier to deal with. To do this, we would need to make some changes to the schedule so that we play an even number of games. Also, the inter-divisional games would have to be even numbers as well due to the head-to-head tie breakers:4 games vs division rivals (12)1 game vs other conference teams (12) That makes for a 24 game season where you'd have 12 home games and 12 road games. I really, really, like this idea of starting with a chip lead in home games.

Right now home team only means more work to do. There should be some advantage given. In the NFL the general rule is 3 points. 1600-1400 sounds reasonable. I also like the longer season.

i like the idea of home court advantage during the season.Daniel, anyway we can make the stacks deeper...like, a total of 4k in play instead of 3k?home team maybe starts with a 2150 1850 lead.

Let's not make too many changes...I like the league the way it is...and it's good to follow the footsteps of a well run league like the NFL but don't forget, we're playing poker. Starting with diff. stacks is kinda weird IMO.But whatever...like I mentioned before, I don't really care what format we use because we all play the same thing. We just have to make it clear at the beginning.If you do this chip edge then please have it as an option while setting up a match. I hate the chip dumping in the first hand bit...what are we gonna do if people don't chip dump? It'll happen...I assure you.

If people don't chip dump the first hand of the match itll be a default. Its all random, who cares if you get aces? You have the same chance of getting aces the second hand as you did the first. I don't mind this idea as long as everyone agrees, but I do like starting with 2k chips, but not sure if this is possible. Daniel can you tell Bob to tell FCP techs to make private SNGS not Automatically start with 1500 chips? May not be possible, but worth a try.

I'm not really a big fan of it, I don't think there should even be a home and away except to help out Sleuthis so the people know who sets up the matches. I think the schedule format and the playoff format should be altered, but the chip count idea just makes a whole sort of problems IMO. Like it has been said, if someone gets aces first hand, they will complain about having to dump and rightfully so.

If people don't chip dump the first hand of the match itll be a default.
How about if it's just in error or a disconnect? Are we really trying to add more ways to default?

I think what Zimmer is trying to say here is he'll vote for any changes, as long as it means he gets to hit a miracle '7' river card to advance in the playoffs. :D Not a fan of the chip advantage. Like the idea of bigger starting stacks but that could mean hour long matches. Meh...this thing is great the way it is, so what ever Daniel. It's all good.I'll crush you all next season either way. :club:

We already have more problems than expected (confusion over game times, defaults, posting results etc), but wait till we have to start chip dumping at the beginning of a match. Frankly, I think the idea is impractical unless it's done by the programmers.Also, what happens if someone doesn't chip dump? I think we may be asking for trouble.

Doesn't make sense to me why the home team needs an advantage.
I'm guessing Daniel is thinking long term right now. I think if we're still competing in 6 years, it would be interesting to see Home/Away records. Maybe there is a big advantage, maybe the away team surprises people and has a winning record. Who knows, but it does create another stat, which I like.
I'm guessing Daniel is thinking long term right now. I think if we're still competing in 6 years, it would be interesting to see Home/Away records. Maybe there is a big advantage, maybe the away team surprises people and has a winning record. Who knows, but it does create another stat, which I like.
Actually, it's interesting you should bring up long term.Fact is, every time you make a major change such as different starting stacks or level time, etc. you can't accurately compare season to season. It's like apples and oranges.

One more thing. First, chip dumping is against my nature. Second, I don't like starting a match with either an advantage or a disandvatage. It makes victories less sweet and failures seem explainable. I know it's a small edge, but if I win a match I want to know we had an equal chance and I won fair and square. The more I think about it, the less I like this idea. Sorry.

I just don't get why we need a home and away team. This isn't the NFL, this is a poker league. Play the matches, have no regular season edge for home/away. It just seems pointless to me I guess.

One more thing. First, chip dumping is against my nature. Second, I don't like starting a match with either an advantage or a disandvatage. It makes victories less sweet and failures seem explainable. I know it's a small edge, but if I win a match I want to know we had an equal chance and I won fair and square. The more I think about it, the less I like this idea. Sorry.
Us Vancouverites think alike. I've pretty much been saying the same thing.
Actually, it's interesting you should bring up long term.Fact is, every time you make a major change such as different starting stacks or level time, etc. you can't accurately compare season to season. It's like apples and oranges.
I agree with this. I don't want SWEEPING changes either, but all leagues have adapted. Baseball went to interleague, football divisions were reformatted, the NBA, well, noone watches the NBA so I don't know what they did.That being said, I'd adapt and go with the majority.
If you play anything like that clownbag from General says you do, I'll sleep nice Sunday. B)
haha yea im a huge donkey with a stupid name. you got me.i hope that guy keeps making threads about me. but he faked the last hand history, i was a little disappointed.

Sorry to disagree, but I don't like the home team advantage either. While this was set up to be like a NFL season, we're still talking about heads up poker. Just like the NBC deal. There really is no advantage. I say leave it as it is. If the problem is playoff teams and ties, then figure out a fairer way to resolve that...more games in the season, etc.We can think outside the box. We're not the NFL, so we can we can be creative on this.Just my opinion.Thanks.

I do think the chip dump is immensely more fair than a 1 game lead in the playoffs. I think it is an ok idea except that it can't be programmed and could lead to errors also. I think we should leave the regular season alone but use it in the playoffs.That way the division winners would get,A) 2 teams a byeB ) 4 teams more moneyC) seeding preferenceD) chip leads on the matchesIf they can't live with that then why bother having playoffs. Winning the division shouldn't guarantee you playoff victories. Isn't that why you play the games?

winning the division doesn't guarantee you winning the playoff series. It makes you about a 70/30 favorite. If it goes to a 1 game lead in a 7 game series it drops to about 65/35. That doesn't seem all that unfair to me.Shouldn't the team with the best regular season get a significant advantage? Isn't that the point to the regular season? About 40% of the prize pool goes to the two teams that meet in the championship. Shouldn't the teams that were the best through the regular season get a much better shot at that money than the team that got in as the #6 seed?I think so, and that's coming from a guy that has to play the Cheap Thieves one game down next round.