Nj Gov. Chris Christie Speech To Mayors

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah he cut the NJ School System's budget drastically! This will be made up by an increase in everyone's property taxes!Raising taxes to balance the budget. Guess New Jersey elected a Democrat after all.My mother in law is a teacher in New Jersey and she said everyone is stunned at what is happening and most of them are furious with themselves for voting for Christie. Luckily, she can retire at any time and avoid the whole mess if she wants.

Yeah he cut the NJ School System's budget drastically! This will be made up by an increase in everyone's property taxes!Raising taxes to balance the budget. Guess New Jersey elected a Democrat after all.My mother in law is a teacher in New Jersey and she said everyone is stunned at what is happening and most of them are furious with themselves for voting for Christie. Luckily, she can retire at any time and avoid the whole mess if she wants.
You could cut the school budget in half across the country and once you got rid of the dead weight on the upper levels, the schools would run just fine.Schools are the most overpaid under-performing wastes that this government is responsible for.Probably worse percentage-wise than the military.Well, maybe not the military
You could cut the school budget in half across the country and once you got rid of the dead weight on the upper levels, the schools would run just fine.Schools are the most overpaid under-performing wastes that this government is responsible for.Probably worse percentage-wise than the military.Well, maybe not the military
The New Jersey Public School System is actually quite good.You are from California and I am from Florida. We can't relate to that.
The New Jersey Public School System is actually quite good.You are from California and I am from Florida. We can't relate to that.
I will have to grant you this.But I suspect that it is still top heavy.
I will have to grant you this.But I suspect that it is still top heavy.
I suspect that every organization in America (unions, large corporations, government, etc) is top heavy.Except Apple. Steve Jobs is a one man band so to speak.
Or his speech on the NJ Budget - amazing speechhttp://www.njn.net/news/coverage/2010/budgetspeech.html
Yes, this is even better. If anyone only has time to watch one of his speeches this is the one to watch first.
I bet she can. It is the ridiculous pension plan which has helped in a big way to break the state. If the local school boards raise property taxes, then that is on the school boards not on the governer. I am sure many, like you, will try to make this argument, but he has already destroyed that notion in his budget speech.
Yes, this is even better. If anyone only has time to watch one of his speeches this is the one to watch first. I bet she can. It is the ridiculous pension plan which has helped in a big way to break the state. If the local school boards raise property taxes, then that is on the school boards not on the governer. I am sure many, like you, will try to make this argument, but he has already destroyed that notion in his budget speech.
it's no different than cap and trade. It's not Gov. Christie raising property taxes; it's just the inevitable result of his decision to slash the budget of something most people think is important.Obama is not proposing an energy tax. He is just proposing a cap and trade system....the inevitable result of which is an increase in energy costs to the consumer.Consistency, one time!
it's no different than cap and trade. It's not Gov. Christie raising property taxes; it's just the inevitable result of his decision to slash the budget of something most people think is important.Obama is not proposing an energy tax. He is just proposing a cap and trade system....the inevitable result of which is an increase in energy costs to the consumer.Consistency, one time!
You will lose this argument against him. The 'inevitable result' argument is what helped get them in the mess they are in. They already pay an extrodinairy amount in taxes compared to the rest of the country. It is the reason so much wealth has been leaving the state.
Or his speech on the NJ Budget - amazing speechhttp://www.njn.net/news/coverage/2010/budgetspeech.html
A school teacher that pays in 64K to pension plan will recieve 1.4 million in benefits and that does not include the fact that they pay $0 in health care premiums throughout their career and retirement. I am not an econ guy, but that seems unsustainable to me in the long run.
A school teacher that pays in 64K to pension plan will recieve 1.4 million in benefits and that does not include the fact that they pay $0 in health care premiums throughout their career and retirement. I am not an econ guy, but that seems unsustainable to me in the long run.
That's why they have good teachers who stay there for a long time and consequently a great school system. Florida has bad teachers that get lousy benefits and the school system blows and STILL has money problems.
I lived in three states, and saw their school systems up close. New Jersey has a terrible, just terrible, school system. They serve the rich suburbs well, everyone else may as well just stay home. And it is more expensive than many other states.There is a problem with cutting school funding, in New Jersey, though. The rich suburbs can raise their taxes and continue to have good schools. The poor suburbs will continue to suffer.Unless they re-imagine their entire system, with vouchers or charter schools or something, they will continue to suck and be very expensive.
We need to hear more of this kind of honesty from politicians. http://njn.net/television/webcast/ontherecord.html
OK, finished this one, pretty amazing. A politician who is doing what he said, and is doing the right thing, no matter what the political cost. A politician who believes adults can be treated like adults.
All the charter schools in Miami are D or F schools. Just throwing that out there.
All the charter schools in Minnesota outperform their public school equivalent and have long waiting lists to get in.It all depends on how much the unions run the reforms. If the charter schools are handcuffed, they will perform as badly as the schools they replace.
My mother in law is a teacher in New Jersey and she said everyone is stunned at what is happening and most of them are furious with themselves for voting for Christie. Luckily, she can retire at any time and avoid the whole mess if she wants.
This pisses me off, because when I lived there I met way too many people like this. The state is filled with them. They didn't care about costs, they didn't care about the harm of policies, they just wanted to know if it would personally benefit them in some way, as if the state government was some sort of personal valet for them. The teachers in NJ are parasites. Not that some of them aren't good teachers, too, but they have no concept of where money comes from or how the real world works. Any attempt to explain reality to them was met with "well, we'll have to cut out math and reading" -- as if the 14 levels of overpaid bureaucracy didn't exist.

I live in PA close to the jersey line (about 20 miles) I do about 35 percent of my business in Jersey. The newspapers cover both states, I have multiple friends and business associates that live in jersey...so while not an expert I do know a little bit about it.Jersey has been very blue for quite some time. The cuts to schools are only being made now because the democrats that controled the state for the last 10 years or more have spent money nonstop. Corzine was a fool and and he may not have been the bigest problem. They have added layers of fat so deep they don't even know where to begin...Christie ran for office under the tag of fiscal conservatism. he spoke everywhere and anywhere to anyone who would listen that his primary goal was cutting the state budget...period. Cain you are very wrong on this one.If anyone in Jersey says they didn't realize what he was going to do they are lying...or living in a box. I forget which paper posted here ran a story on the schools and the 15 percent cut they are getting but it was sick all the stuff they have done in jersey. There also were some quotes from local school supers about now needing to reduce staff to below the pre stimulus levels...LOL they used the stimulus monies to hire more staff for a year and now that BHO money is gone it is the states job to keep them.bottom line, if you don't have the money you don't spend it...i don't care if you are a person, a business or a government. The only shame here is our government keeps bailing out people and business that don't get it. cutting school expenses 15 percent won't be a problem for the schools and still put out a quality product. If LOCALS want to raise their LOCAL taxes to fund the school more, have at it. It is much easier to replace a local school board then the state offices.

I live in PA close to the jersey line (about 20 miles) I do about 35 percent of my business in Jersey. The newspapers cover both states, I have multiple friends and business associates that live in jersey...so while not an expert I do know a little bit about it.Jersey has been very blue for quite some time. The cuts to schools are only being made now because the democrats that controled the state for the last 10 years or more have spent money nonstop. Corzine was a fool and and he may not have been the bigest problem. They have added layers of fat so deep they don't even know where to begin...Christie ran for office under the tag of fiscal conservatism. he spoke everywhere and anywhere to anyone who would listen that his primary goal was cutting the state budget...period. Cain you are very wrong on this one.If anyone in Jersey says they didn't realize what he was going to do they are lying...or living in a box. I forget which paper posted here ran a story on the schools and the 15 percent cut they are getting but it was sick all the stuff they have done in jersey. There also were some quotes from local school supers about now needing to reduce staff to below the pre stimulus levels...LOL they used the stimulus monies to hire more staff for a year and now that BHO money is gone it is the states job to keep them.bottom line, if you don't have the money you don't spend it...i don't care if you are a person, a business or a government. The only shame here is our government keeps bailing out people and business that don't get it. cutting school expenses 15 percent won't be a problem for the schools and still put out a quality product. If LOCALS want to raise their LOCAL taxes to fund the school more, have at it. It is much easier to replace a local school board then the state offices.
stop - u are making too much sense
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Tell me when the last time you have seen ANY elected figure be this candid
This guy is quickly becoming a political hero of mine. My favorite video of him:
This guy is quickly becoming a political hero of mine. My favorite video of him:
HB - another great video...Let him fix New Jersey, then fix the US....

I watched a couple videos of this guy, and I really like him as well.I don't know anything about him other than a quick scan of his Wiki page. Does anyone know if he has aspirations to run for President?