The Toronto Makemelaughs

For all you leaf fans, The Toronto Makemelaughs Remember that on the front page of the Sun...... Closing in on 40 years now Too old too slow ... another 40 or 50 years till Lord Stanley ??? GO HABS GO !!!!!!! august 1,05 Some replies to comments posted but first of all a bit of info. I was born in Vancouver and i will be a canadiens fan from birth till death. during the 70's when i was growing up in vancouver in the days before edmonton and calgary even were in the nhl , you pretty much chose the red or blue. vancouver had a team of course, just not a good one. true canadien fans are patient and don't jump on /off the wagon. i am not a seperatist nor can speak a sentence of french. its about hockey, even the last season when they beat boston in the playoffs, it was the equivalent of the cubs the cubs and the bosox meeting in the world series(if it happened).it's the tradition and historic rivalries. the players from the great teams of the past carry on that tradition today as winning coaches and gms.that is what it is all about .

Good first post. Unfortunately this is not in General where you would be flamed the most.Habs fans are just nostalgic French separatists ! I am aware of our cup drought-I blame mainly poor management mostly, and Wayne Gretzky in 1993. We could have taken you guys on!

I am aware of our cup drought-I blame mainly poor management mostly, and Wayne Gretzky in 1993. We could have taken you guys on!
The game that will live in infamy. I remember it like yesterday, I was at a buddy's place watching the game, said buddy being a huge Habs fan. When LA won, he jumped up, pointed at the TV, and shouted "THAT'S THE CUP RIGHT THERE!" He'd been really worried about Montreal's chances against Toronto, but against LA? No problem, he figured. And of course it wasn't.Otherwise, I don't worry much about baiting from Habs fans any more. Used to bug me, but then when they went through that really awful stretch in the late 90s and early 2000s, many Habs fans proved that they were a pretty fairweather bunch, willing to support their team win or tie. They're crawling back out from under the floorboards now that Montreal's put together a decent team again, but it's hard to take 'em seriously any more, knowing that they're one losing streak away from hiding their team sweaters and pretending they don't care about hockey any more.

Say what you will about either the Habs or Leafs, but everytime they come to town in any other market, at least a third of the fans in attendance are cheering for the Habs and Leafs. I've been to many Canucks games trying to outcheer the Habs fans, in Vancouver. This was during the stretch where they had really bad teams.

I gotta say, I like this thread already.Seeing as how it was started by a Canadiens fan living in Toronto, I feel the need to comment, as I'm a transplanted GTAer and Leafs fan now living in Montreal.Sorry Habs fans, but Ugly was right about you. I've never seen so much flip-flopping on their own team (even within one season). When they win a meaningless game 2-1 over Nashville in November, I hear non-stop talk about Richard and Roy and Beliveau and 20-something Cups and blah blah blah. Then they lose another meaningless game by an equally mundane score and it's "Ah merde. These guys are useless. What ever happened to the days of Richard and Roy and Beliveau and 20-something Cups and blah blah blah?" (I guess I'm also saying Marion was right about the whole nostalgic thing, too).I still think it was ridiculous the way they treated Theodore at the start of the season following his Vezina/Hart-winning season by STILL making him compete for the starting job in net with Hackett. I mean, how short a memory does the team have? He's not allowed to have a lukewarm start to the season after singlehandedly making the team relevant again?I grew up playing football, and one thing that is 100% certain is that anytime there is a quarterback controversy, the starter's play suffers. A QB needs to know he's got the job and that's that, and when he has that security, he plays at his best. Goalies are the same way. Goalies, QB's, Pitchers, these positions are so unique within their sports that they are always fragile mentally, and confidence is the make-or-break for their play. Had they openly said that Theodore was the starting goalie, no matter how shaky he was in October (October, for crying out loud! Does anyone realize how long the bloody season is?), then he would have come out of his funk right away. The low point was the first time the Leafs came to Montreal that season, on Saturday night, on Hockey Night in Canada, and they started Hackett. Did anybody think "hey, this is the first high-profile game of the season. Wouldn't it be nice to show off our reigning Vezina and Hart winner to a national audience? This is the first time we've had a chance to be in the spotlight in a long time. What a great opportunity!" Nope, they sat him on the bench. Just a bloody shame.If they play him that night, he has no confidence troubles, he progresses even further, and we'd be entering Year Four of the "Jose Theodore: Best goalie in the NHL not named Brodeur" era. Instead, it took him all of last season to crawl back to some semblance of the goalie he was that one spectacular year, and we're still waiting for him to develop into a star. I mean, the fact that he is not yet at the level to be on Team Canada can be traced right back to that night.And, in summation...Go Leafs Go

A few other comments...(once you get me riled up about hockey, it's hard to stop. I'm sure you all feel the same way)This past week I put myself through a whole lot of self-abuse, watching the NHL network's "Top 10 Playoff Hat Tricks of the 1990's", with #1 being of course Wayne Gretzky in game 7 vs. Toronto. It didn't help that Gretzky calls that the best game of his career. I had nightmares of Gretzky banking the puck of Ellet's skate the next two nights, seeing as how I had to watch about 845, 926 replays of it. Anyone who thinks that goal was a fluke is an idiot. There was no other King player in the Leafs' zone. That was just Gretzky being brilliant.Then, I put myself through the torture of watching Game 6 of that series on ESPN Classic. Seeing the Leafs come back from down 4-2, seeing Clark get a hat trick and force the game to OT, I felt like it was almost possible to will the outcome of that game in our favour, even though it was played 12 years ago. Then, reality sets back in and I see Gretzky cut Gilmour's chin open in OT-and no penalty. Then I see Sandstrom dig it out of the corner to Robitaille, who centres it to, you guessed it, Wayne Gretzky, who plants the winner, sending the series to......Game 7, which I decided to watch on ESPN Classic the next day (I might as well just light myself on fire at this point).But strangely, it was all very therapeutic. When I look back on those playoffs, I do so with fond memories, not bad ones. I mean, it was a spectacular tournament.You had St. Louis knocking off the President's Trophy-winning Blackhawks, due to Curtis Joseph singlehandedly carrying them. But that was no match for Doug Gilmour's immortal post-season, as the Leafs knocked off the Blues (and after an epic series against Detroit, no less). But even that wasn't enough to overcome Gretzky being Gretzky, as the Kings toppled the Leafs. But when all was said and done, even Gretzky couldn't solve the amazing Patrick Roy, who won an astounding 10 OT playoff games. TEN! I think that gets my vote for the record that will never be broken, in any sport.This year, there is a very real chance of all the Canadian teams making the playoffs, and that would be a pretty triumphant return for the league. But the challenge, I feel, lies in Vancouver. Has a consistent 100-point team ever been so irrelevant in the history of this league? I mean, they battle Colorado toe to toe every year within the division, yet they are an afterthought because they haven't done a thing in the playoffs. Yeah yeah, I know, Dan Cloutier. He's the reason for all this. But this year there are better goaltenders available, and cheap. Get Khabibulin. Get Giguere (who is overpriced and won't be in Anaheim this year. I can feel it.). Hell, get my grandmother to play. Sure, she's had two knees and a hip replaced, but anything is better than Cloutier. For God's Sake, Vancouver, become relevant!

some interesting replies .let the great debate begin. i should probably read the instructions that i'm sure are around here somewhere,but i have a couple of questions for you more experienced users of this forum.Is there a way to reply to people's comments in the same place as they are written?and why do leaf leaf fans have so many excuses for the last almost 40 years ?it reminds me of another team in another sport and they play in chicago.

I wouldn't say Leaf fans make excuses about the drought. There are good reasons why we haven't won. The team was solid in the 70's and early 80's but were no match for the awesome teams in Montreal (76 Habs might be the best team in sports history, or at worst 2nd to the 27 Yankees), Philadelphia, and Long Island.Then came the Harold Ballard era.Then Toronto had that great chance in 93, but it's no excuse to say that they were beat by Gretzky. 94's team just wasn't that great in the playoffs (barely beating San Jose and then losing to Vancouver). Lost to the Devils in the Conference championship in a year when they won the Cup. Should have beaten Carolina in the Conference championship in 01 but would have lost to Detroit in the final anyway. And they've run in to New Jersey and Philly a couple times each and were just flat-out beaten by the better team in the series.Having been in the playoffs every year and to the Conference Championship 4 times in recent memory, of course Toronto could have won at least once and it's heartbreaking that we haven't, but I don't see anyone blaming it on curses or Steve Bartman. We just didn't quite have it those years. It sucks, but it's reality.

• 2 years later...
I gotta say, I like this thread already.Seeing as how it was started by a Canadiens fan living in Toronto, I feel the need to comment, as I'm a transplanted GTAer and Leafs fan now living in Montreal.Sorry Habs fans, but Ugly was right about you. I've never seen so much flip-flopping on their own team (even within one season). When they win a meaningless game 2-1 over Nashville in November, I hear non-stop talk about Richard and Roy and Beliveau and 20-something Cups and blah blah blah. Then they lose another meaningless game by an equally mundane score and it's "Ah merde. These guys are useless. What ever happened to the days of Richard and Roy and Beliveau and 20-something Cups and blah blah blah?" (I guess I'm also saying Marion was right about the whole nostalgic thing, too).I still think it was ridiculous the way they treated Theodore at the start of the season following his Vezina/Hart-winning season by STILL making him compete for the starting job in net with Hackett. I mean, how short a memory does the team have? He's not allowed to have a lukewarm start to the season after singlehandedly making the team relevant again?I grew up playing football, and one thing that is 100% certain is that anytime there is a quarterback controversy, the starter's play suffers. A QB needs to know he's got the job and that's that, and when he has that security, he plays at his best. Goalies are the same way. Goalies, QB's, Pitchers, these positions are so unique within their sports that they are always fragile mentally, and confidence is the make-or-break for their play. Had they openly said that Theodore was the starting goalie, no matter how shaky he was in October (October, for crying out loud! Does anyone realize how long the bloody season is?), then he would have come out of his funk right away. The low point was the first time the Leafs came to Montreal that season, on Saturday night, on Hockey Night in Canada, and they started Hackett. Did anybody think "hey, this is the first high-profile game of the season. Wouldn't it be nice to show off our reigning Vezina and Hart winner to a national audience? This is the first time we've had a chance to be in the spotlight in a long time. What a great opportunity!" Nope, they sat him on the bench. Just a bloody shame.If they play him that night, he has no confidence troubles, he progresses even further, and we'd be entering Year Four of the "Jose Theodore: Best goalie in the NHL not named Brodeur" era. Instead, it took him all of last season to crawl back to some semblance of the goalie he was that one spectacular year, and we're still waiting for him to develop into a star. I mean, the fact that he is not yet at the level to be on Team Canada can be traced right back to that night.And, in summation...Go Leafs Go
Great post..Lets hear more from you

Theodore was strung out from a coke binge all summer long after his big season. His attitude was wrong and he was very poorly surrounded by gangstas and ballas. Seriously he visited some of his "friends" in jail who were Hells Angels and has a family of known criminals, ie: his father. Him and Ribiero corrupted each other. It was good for of them to get out of Montreal.he's having agood season now and that doesn't surprise me. I'm glad we traded him, and I'm glad it was to the west. Ribieros trade on the other hand leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. Ninnima? really Bob, who were you settling a favor for with that one?

Theodore was strung out from a coke binge all summer long after his big season. His attitude was wrong and he was very poorly surrounded by gangstas and ballas. Seriously he visited some of his "friends" in jail who were Hells Angels and has a family of known criminals, ie: his father. Him and Ribiero corrupted each other. It was good for of them to get out of Montreal.
Is any of that true? Why would Colorado take on someone with that reputation?
Is any of that true? Why would Colorado take on someone with that reputation?
the part about his family being involved in some crime ring is true...But the coke thing seems a bit far fetched.
the part about his family being involved in some crime ring is true...But the coke thing seems a bit far fetched.
Wow, Serge not bashing a former Canadien into oblivion ;)I'm not buying the coke thing either and it would be harsh to can a guy because of his family's faults
Wow, Serge not bashing a former Canadien into oblivion :club: I'm not buying the coke thing either and it would be harsh to can a guy because of his family's faults
his dad was a bookie and money launderer, regularly beat people up as a good bookie should... His rates were astronomical apparently too.Theodore was friends with some Hells Angles, there have been pictures of them together and I know for a fact he would visit some of them in jail.That summer he went around Montreal spending his rolls of cash like a pimp. The guy didn't roll with credit. Who would do that when your dad has all sorts of dirty money that needs to be spent.Seriously, it was dangerous for this guy to be a superstar in Montreal.edit: I don't actually have any convincing evidence of drug use in the off season, but put 2 ans 2 together, the environment, the party life all summer, he was regularly hitting up the clubs and afterhours, his friends and then his performance the next season. I think it's highly likely he was using in the off season because he won the Hart and Vezina and thought he do it all again no problem next season.
his dad was a bookie and money launderer, regularly beat people up as a good bookie should... His rates were astronomical apparently too.Theodore was friends with some Hells Angles, there have been pictures of them together and I know for a fact he would visit some of them in jail.That summer he went around Montreal spending his rolls of cash like a pimp. The guy didn't roll with credit. Who would do that when your dad has all sorts of dirty money that needs to be spent.Seriously, it was dangerous for this guy to be a superstar in Montreal.edit: I don't actually have any convincing evidence of drug use in the off season, but put 2 ans 2 together, the environment, the party life all summer, he was regularly hitting up the clubs and afterhours, his friends and then his performance the next season. I think it's highly likely he was using in the off season because he won the Hart and Vezina and thought he do it all again no problem next season.
You're putting 2+2=5. Just cause a guy parties a lot doesn't mean he's drugged out his face, although I can see your point. And plenty of guys drop off after a great season/postseason. There must be a Calder trophy winner to journeyman list as long as your arm. Or other hot goalies who have dissapointed. Emery, Ward, Huet, Raycroft all in recent times.
You're putting 2+2=5. Just cause a guy parties a lot doesn't mean he's drugged out his face, although I can see your point. And plenty of guys drop off after a great season/postseason. There must be a Calder trophy winner to journeyman list as long as your arm. Or other hot goalies who have dissapointed. Emery, Ward, Huet, Raycroft all in recent times.
Jim Carrey and Andrew Raycroft lead the list..
Jim Carrey and Andrew Raycroft lead the list..
Not a very good goalie, but a heck of a comedian that Carrey....And a pretty smoking girlfriend.
Ya same with people saying Salming was on coke all those years. THe evils of blow 2 teams you don't want to play for Montreal and NY.
Ya same with people saying Salming was on coke all those years. THe evils of blow 2 teams you don't want to play for Montreal and NY.
Salming owned up to it and went to rehab......
Funny you choose this really old bumped thread to bring this talk up. I also think the same as you, I could definitely believe that they partied it up that summer with a crowd that would regurlarly get high on all sorts of drugs. Summer in Montreal, with the girls...