Plo Taking Over?

So obviously there has been a lot of talk about how there isn't much action at the higher no limit games anymore. You see alot of tables with just 1 person sitting down because no body else wants to sit down with them. So a lot of pros have started to move to PLO where they say the action is great just a lot of bad players that haven't figured out the game yet, as opposed to no limit where a lot of people are learning the game. So my question basically is will PLO take over the high stakes cash games online and are more people going to try to move over and learn that game or is it just a fad that will go on for maybe the next year or two then everything just revert back to no limit. Also is it possible that PLO becomes the biggest cash games around for poker?

If you are a high stakes player, where do you want to go? A hard game where you have less of an edge or a fishtank where the $$$ flows like weed at Woodstock???

If you are a high stakes player, where do you want to go? A hard game where you have less of an edge or a fishtank where the $$$ flows like weed at Woodstock???
I agree but eventually wouldn't the opposite happen? Maybe like all the high stakes NL players are moving to PLO so fish have less competition at high stakes NL so wouldn't that game juice up? Also going back to my question how long do you think this cycle will take?

When I started playing poker in Vegas (1987) the main games in the poker rooms was 7 stud. there were damn few HE games and even fewer no limit. Hold 'em picked up in the early 90s. So far it has ruled the roost for 20 years. it is easier to learn the rules, and not as card counting intensive as stud or PLO. PLO has turned into the new action game. Will it overtake NLHE? It already has in Europe. Will it here?? I do not know.

BoostedJ mentioned that most of the higher stakes NHL games online have died
Not to worry mate, training camp will be starting back up in a couple of weeks. I can't wait :club:
Will it overtake NLHE? It already has in Europe. Will it here?? I do not know.
I know many don't class the UK as Europe, but we are still very much a NL driven poker community.It is hard to find any PLO mtt's that have enough runners to make it worth while, and regular PLO cash games are still heavily out numbered by PLH and NLH.

The high stakes NL action is basically dead nowadays, there are a few games that run sporadicaly at 50/100+, but they're generaly the exception. There's a 200/400 PLO game going on most of the time though.At low/mid stakes I think NL is easily the most popular game still, but at the nosebleed stakes people rarely play it anymore and most of the action is in omaha.

PLO is a great game live, can't see it taking over on line because playing a massive amount of tables would be tuff but that might save the game from the grinders.

imho, it is nearly impossible to get ahead of the curve in NLHE at this point. Yes, there are donks clearly at basically every level in NLHE still, but online with the advent of online training sites and strategy communities, i don't think anyone can tell you the games aren't significantly tougher at the mid limits than they were a couple years ago. NLHE at most limits above 1-2 is so infested with regs eeking out their 3bb/100 that to gain a significant edge in a mid or high stakes online NLHE game, coming into poker at this point is nearly impossible.When you look at PLO, this is not true. There are still a lot of people at most limits that have ridiculously flawed ideas about how to play the game, and because of the high stakes action, you have fish joining the game at a much higher clip. It's also a lot harder to find an abundance of really good training material on PLO. Consequently, if you really put in the time in PLO, it's definitely still possible to get ahead of the curve. Last year in an interview, someone asked durrrr about his switch to mostly PLO and he pretty much said the same thing. Something to the effect of switching because even though NLHE is still his "better" game and the swings are bigger in PLO, the mistakes people make in PLO are much bigger.

i always thought that PLO was the tough game and NL the easy?didn't the top players all move to PLO b/c NL was "solved" and the edge was very small (at the highest stakes), whereas, PLO is deeper and not fully understood yet, so it has bigger edges?
imho, it is nearly impossible to get ahead of the curve in NLHE at this point. Yes, there are donks clearly at basically every level in NLHE still, but online with the advent of online training sites and strategy communities, i don't think anyone can tell you the games aren't significantly tougher at the mid limits than they were a couple years ago. NLHE at most limits above 1-2 is so infested with regs eeking out their 3bb/100 that to gain a significant edge in a mid or high stakes online NLHE game, coming into poker at this point is nearly impossible.
I'd quite like to get into PLO, especially if it's not the reg-fest i've heard MS+ NHL....no wait, HNL is - I haven't got a clue where to start with it tho. I think if/when I can get to 100NL i'll start learning it, but maybe by the time i've caught up it'll be full of grinders
I'd quite like to get into PLO, especially if it's not the reg-fest i've heard MS+ NHL....no wait, HNL is - I haven't got a clue where to start with it tho. I think if/when I can get to 100NL i'll start learning it, but maybe by the time i've caught up it'll be full of grinders
i got berated by two people last night for shipping a set + half wrap vs the bottom end of a made straight. me hitting one of my 18 outs induced a wave of tilt. trust me, there are plenty of idiots to go around.
i always thought that PLO was the tough game and NL the easy?didn't the top players all move to PLO b/c NL was "solved" and the edge was very small (at the highest stakes), whereas, PLO is deeper and not fully understood yet, so it has bigger edges?
Given the amount of different situations that can come up in PLO I think it's regarded as being a more in-depth game than NLHE. Given that, I think it's likely that the possible egde you can have in PLO will be a lot higher than NLHE even when most people have learned how to play it well. It also appeals to the fish more because it's easier to gamble
And tits...

I don't think the money has dried up in any game as long as you're a good game selector and willing to wait. I'm not anywheres as good as good game selectors like FoxwoodsFiends or Hoosier, but basically I look for soft games and people on my buddy list, and try to play at most 1-3 tables of the most +ev games. They might be HUNLHE vs a megafish, PLO vs two megadonks, or 6 max NLHE against a couple unknowns and a huge spewdonk. If I feel like playing right away, I will just start up 4 random 6 max nlhe tables that look good, and then after 20 minutes remove the bad tables so basically I'm always trying to be at a table with at least one megafish. This might be easier to do at PLO at the moment, altho there are less PLO games to choose from, but what I'm saying is you can play soft tables in any game as long as you have patience and game select properly. Also having money on multiple sites is good for game selection obv. But yeh, I have noticed on the norm more donks than regs at a typical 2/4 plo table than at a typical 2/4 nlhe table.

I bought TJ Cloutiers book on Omaha and it was terrible.What is a good book on PLO?
the only one i've heard enough good things about to recommend is: http://www.amazon.com/Pot-Limit-Omaha-Poke...1003&sr=8-1it's very high on my list to read and some omaha players i respect have said it's solid. he's already writing the second volume.
the only one i've heard enough good things about to recommend is: http://www.amazon.com/Pot-Limit-Omaha-Poke...1003&sr=8-1it's very high on my list to read and some omaha players i respect have said it's solid. he's already writing the second volume.
This is the book on PLO right now, over at 2P2 they turned it into a course over a few weeks.
I bought TJ Cloutiers book on Omaha and it was terrible.What is a good book on PLO?
I agree that the Hwang book is good. SS2 is OK, too.
the next game is horse, plo is vv hard andnot worth playing
So again the question arises. From a players point of view say you have average to above average knowledge at NLHE. Would it be in your best interest as a player to keep with he no limit game or maybe to start concentrating on PLO and try to get ahead of the curve so that by the time people start to move over you have already grasped the knowledge. Or is it pointless and should feel like NLHE will be the "Cadillac" of poker for a long time?