Interesting Article

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Click here I know the debate seems tired and old (kinda like Blue *rimshot*), but there are still way too many people that think sexuality's a choice.
If it's a choice, I chose mine in the womb.

Oh God that's so ridiculous...I mean what are you going to believe...a properly conducted scientific experiment involving pheromones that basically proves homosexuality is biological or a passage in a book written over 2000 years ago. Obviously the book. Duh. Why even post this ****. Go back to your pot smoking hippee fests and sex orgies and stay out of the religion forum!

What I don't get about those who think homosexuality is a choice is this:I would never, ever, consider getting stuck by a guy, or sticking it in a guy unless some serious money were on the line. It's not a choice for me because it's not even an option. It seems to be that in order to consider it a choice, there has to be something desirable about it. Am I wrong in thinking that anyone who considers homosexuality a choice must have some latent homosexual tendencies?

Am I wrong in thinking that anyone who considers homosexuality a choice must have some latent homosexual tendencies?
In most cases, yes. I think the main problem is ignorance. Give this thread a few days and you'll see it.
Click here I know the debate seems tired and old (kinda like Blue *rimshot*), but there are still way too many people that think sexuality's a choice.
maybe this is due to my lack of scientific knowledge, but it is not possible that some brain functions are affected by person's choices or some aspect of socialization?if that is the case, then even evidence as presented above only implies an increased likelihood that sexuality is not learned, but by no means is it conclusive.even though i am of the opinion that - sexuality is probably not learned- sexuality should absolutely be treated as being not learnedi still have yet to see any type of convincing or definative proof that it is not a choice.
Am I wrong in thinking that anyone who considers homosexuality a choice must have some latent homosexual tendencies?
i think that is a non-sequitar and completely irrelevant.i don't see how the two are related.
Oh God that's so ridiculous...I mean what are you going to believe...a properly conducted scientific experiment involving pheromones that basically proves homosexuality is biological or a passage in a book written over 2000 years ago. Obviously the book. Duh. Why even post this ****. Go back to your pot smoking hippee fests and sex orgies and stay out of the religion forum!
What passage in the Bible says that homosexual tendency is a choice? There are a ton of things and urges in my life that I was born with, but that doesn't make them right. For instance, I really want to rob a bank, I think it would be fun and the money would be a huge plus.... but just because I really want to rob a bank doesn't mean that God would be cool with it. Even though I pretty sure I could get away with it. :club:
In most cases, yes. I think the main problem is ignorance. Give this thread a few days and you'll see it.
lol

and furthermore, many people, and by people I'm assuming most everyone that has posted so far... think that religious wackos that believe crazy stuff like, the Bible, are hate mongers. This is not true. I don't hate gay people or anyone else, neither did Jesus. The Bible says that committing a homosexual act is wrong. Being born with urges is not. I'm not saying it's fair or unfair, I didn't make the rules. God says it's wrong, and so it is. Being gay is no worse than living in any other sin. According to the Bible if you go to a strip club you are committing an act equal with guy on guy action. Sin is sin. Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." The good news is Romans 6:23 "The wages of sin is death.... but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord."

What passage in the Bible says that homosexual tendency is a choice?
None. That's not the point. The fact that the bible says homosexuality is forbidden is enough proof for most people.
What passage in the Bible says that homosexual tendency is a choice? There are a ton of things and urges in my life that I was born with, but that doesn't make them right. For instance, I really want to rob a bank, I think it would be fun and the money would be a huge plus.... but just because I really want to rob a bank doesn't mean that God would be cool with it. Even though I pretty sure I could get away with it. :club:
Comparing a bank robbery to falling in love is like comparing apples to monkeys.
i think that is a non-sequitar and completely irrelevant.i don't see how the two are related.
My point, which I may not have made clear, is that as a heterosexual with no homosexual leanings I don't see why anyone would ever choose to engage in any homosexual activity. To see it as a choice implies a tacit acknowledgement of seeing the appeal.
There are a ton of things and urges in my life that I was born with, but that doesn't make them right.
Homosexuals are not attracted to people of the opposite sex. A gay man has as much desire to have sex with a woman as you desire to have sex with a man (i.e. none). So should gay people all remain celibate their entire lives, or should they live utter and complete lies by marrying members of the opposite sex? Could you deny your urge to be with a woman......forever?
Homosexuals are not attracted to people of the opposite sex. A gay man has as much desire to have sex with a woman as you desire to have sex with a man (i.e. none). So should gay people all remain celibate their entire lives, or should they live utter and complete lies by marrying members of the opposite sex? Could you deny your urge to be with a woman......forever?
Not.The.Point."Sir, I'm sorry you couldn't deny your genetic predisposition to become a crazed alcoholic, so we're just gonna let this drinking & driving go..."Honestly I'm glad everybody sins because it would be awfuly hard to talk about this if I couldn't say "hey, I've had premarital hetero sex, and this is just as sinful as homosexual brokebacking." But I have; a sinner I am. I couldn't deny my urges Tim, and I'm not even 24 years old yet. Did I still ef up? Yep.

Leviticus 18:22" 'Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.Leviticus 20:13" 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.This is as simple as it gets. I've said it before . . . GOD created Adam and Eve . . . not Adam and Steve. The Bible is very clear on this point. Homosexual relationships are becoming more common only because society is basically saying it is OK. Since the early 90's homsexuality has been on the rise exponentialy . . . why?? Because we are showing it to our kids on prime time TV and saying that this behavior is now socially acceptable. It is now "cool" for two girls to kiss. It is now OK that in some place two guys can get married. It is now OK for a homosexual couple to raise children and teach them THEIR "family values". Homosexuality is a choice . . . a choice that society (and MTV) has said is OK.What's a real shame to me is when I have to explain to my 5 & 8 year old sons why those two men on TV were just kissing on that show.

Leviticus 18:22" 'Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable.Leviticus 20:13" 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.This is as simple as it gets. I've said it before . . . GOD created Adam and Eve . . . not Adam and Steve. The Bible is very clear on this point. Homosexual relationships are becoming more common only because society is basically saying it is OK. Since the early 90's homsexuality has been on the rise exponentialy . . . why?? Because we are showing it to our kids on prime time TV and saying that this behavior is now socially acceptable. It is now "cool" for two girls to kiss. It is now OK that in some place two guys can get married. It is now OK for a homosexual couple to raise children and teach them THEIR "family values". Homosexuality is a choice . . . a choice that society (and MTV) has said is OK.What's a real shame to me is when I have to explain to my 5 & 8 year old sons why those two men on TV were just kissing on that show.
A bigger shame is that you choose to follow the fictional writings of people who lived more than 2000 years ago. Can you explain to me how you're any different than the Greeks or Romans who believed in their numerous gods? Most think mythology was quaint. As a society, we've evolved past the superstitions and explanations mythology made necessary to explain seemingly impossible things to ignorant peasants.The church made a pariah out of Gallileo for his proving the earth revolved around the sun, not the other way around. So to say the church is the final authority on science or biology is kind of ridiculous, don't you think?Were homosexuals looked down upon 2000 years ago? Probably. But so were people who were crippled and diseased. For people who claim to be righteous and tolerant, you all sure have a lot of discriminatory rules.
What's a real shame to me is when I have to explain to my 5 & 8 year old sons why those two men on TV were just kissing on that show.
Sorry, but the real shame is that you were allowed to reproduce
I'm glad I found the humor forums.
Not.The.Point."Sir, I'm sorry you couldn't deny your genetic predisposition to become a crazed alcoholic, so we're just gonna let this drinking & driving go..."
Being able to drink and drive is COMPLETELY different than being able to marry someone they love.I think it is a basic human right to be able to live, love and marry any person you choose that has the requisite legal capacity. There is no basic human right to get wasted, get in a car and proceed to risk the lives of every other person on the road.As humans--we require stable, loving companionship----not a captain-and-coke.And to Foose1---there's nothing like a blind meritless statement that lacks any sort of historical perspective to make someone sound completely ignorant. Homosexuality has been around for thousands of year--it is not a recent phenomenon. If you think that today's increasing acceptance of gays actually results in more gays---well... :club: Just because you didn't see them doesn't mean they weren't there. It is just unfortunate that, until now, intolerance and bigotry was so strong that people had to hide their sexuality. And the choice you speak of is the acceptance rather than the gay/straight choice. You're confusing the issues.
A bigger shame is that you choose to follow the fictional writings of people who lived more than 2000 years ago. Can you explain to me how you're any different than the Greeks or Romans who believed in their numerous gods? Most think mythology was quaint. As a society, we've evolved past the superstitions and explanations mythology made necessary to explain seemingly impossible things to ignorant peasants.The church made a pariah out of Gallileo for his proving the earth revolved around the sun, not the other way around. So to say the church is the final authority on science or biology is kind of ridiculous, don't you think?Were homosexuals looked down upon 2000 years ago? Probably. But so were people who were crippled and diseased. For people who claim to be righteous and tolerant, you all sure have a lot of discriminatory rules.
What's even more a shame is that this is the RELIGION forum. So you choose the RELIGION forum to criticize someone who believes in GOD. Interesting.

What I find interesting is this. Someone posts an article about gays (IN THE RELIGION FORUM). I assume that means they want responses and perspectives from religous people. But it seems that more people who are not religous are the ones that respond (IN THE RELIGION FORUM) . . . and then to top it off, they insult the actual religous people (WHO ARE RESPONDING IN THE RELIGION FORUM) and act like we are lunatics for believing in GOD.If you ask me . . . there is more intolerance for christians in this world than there are gays. So when you try to lecture me on my beliefs and opinions and try to accuse me of being intolerant . . . look in the mirror first.Just on a side note . . . not that I care what any of you think . . . One of my best friends (for over 20 years) is GAY. He knows my beliefs about his lifestyle. He knows my beliefs about GOD and what the bible says. But he is still a great friend and always will be. I do not judge him. We have had friendly debates about his lifestyle . . . but that is where it stops. I am not the one to judge him and I accept him for who he is . . . not his sexual preference.Just because I have a belief about a topic does not make me an intolerent "crazy".

What I find interesting is this. Someone posts an article about gays (IN THE RELIGION FORUM). I assume that means they want responses and perspectives from religous people. But it seems that more people who are not religous are the ones that respond (IN THE RELIGION FORUM) . . . and then to top it off, they insult the actual religous people (WHO ARE RESPONDING IN THE RELIGION FORUM) and act like we are lunatics for believing in GOD.If you ask me . . . there is more intolerance for christians in this world than there are gays. So when you try to lecture me on my beliefs and opinions and try to accuse me of being intolerant . . . look in the mirror first.Just on a side note . . . not that I care what any of you think . . . One of my best friends (for over 20 years) is GAY. He knows my beliefs about his lifestyle. He knows my beliefs about GOD and what the bible says. But he is still a great friend and always will be. I do not judge him. We have had friendly debates about his lifestyle . . . but that is where it stops. I am not the one to judge him and I accept him for who he is . . . not his sexual preference.Just because I have a belief about a topic does not make me an intolerent "crazy".
Religion is an interesting topic to discuss, even for non religious people.Do you see why?Good Luck!
Being able to drink and drive is COMPLETELY different than being able to marry someone they love.I think it is a basic human right to be able to live, love and marry any person you choose that has the requisite legal capacity. There is no basic human right to get wasted, get in a car and proceed to risk the lives of every other person on the road.As humans--we require stable, loving companionship----not a captain-and-coke.
So Farnan you completely ignored what I said previous to the statements you quoted???If you come from a Christian standpoint, a sin is a sin is a sin. If you do not, then I see where you're coming from. Heck, I'll agree with you that my personal life will be less effected by a gay couple living next to me than a drunk swerving down my neighborhood road.I also agree that a secular government such as our own probably should not dictate by sexual preference an attainable set of rights.So, summing:I think BEING homosexual is 95% a genetic issue.I think ACTING on your homosexual urges is very human. It is also a sin.I sin, daily.I do not judge homosexuals for acting on their genetic predispositions."Marriage" is a religous term & function. Unfortunately, our government chose to recognize it as such. Therefore, it is secular now, and a government must allow it for secular individuals.
Were homosexuals looked down upon 2000 years ago?
In ancient Rome, there was no such thing as a homosexual. Instead they viewed sexual acts in light of who is active (masculine) and who is passive (feminine). One way of putting it is that there was no shame for a man to be the pitcher to another guy, but being the catcher was seen as effeminate and thus, unseemly. Basically, the Romans were a little more tolerant than we are.