Former Tilters--how Did You Stop Tilting?

hey guys,so i threw $400 on fulltilt and in the course of one day I built it into $1,600 playing 1/2 and 2/4 pot limit omaha. I was running really well but also playing really well. I took the next day off, but the following day (monday) I played again and at first I was controlling myself well. at the 240 cap table I called two allins on the turn with QhQdAh7s on a 10h Kh 6s Qc board and missed the river for a $700 pot. But I rebuilt from there back to even. However, later in the evening I had a straight on the turn and a player called a pot sized bet (more than $100) to go allin with a 9 hi flush draw and hit his club on the river. This just set me off, and I played crazy raising the pot preflop every hand for twenty or thirty hands, playing crazy loose, and and when the smoke cleared my account was down to $360. so fing stupid, I know. I'm posting this to find out if anyone has overcome tilting issues in the past and what advice you have. I have done this (blown $1000 online in one session) probably 7 or 8 times before, and its always playing cash. I know that I need to stick to SNGs and MTTs (I have an ROI more than 17% over several thousand SNGs; I've had a few 4 figure scores in MTTs in a small sample size) but I simply cannot control myself. A lot of times in the past when I tilted I was completely drunk, but this time I have no excuse except I can't control myself sometimes.

i briefly read over the challenge thread and from what i gathered from it, they said it is impossible NOT to tilt. I agree.I used to tilt uncontrollably, and in multiple forms too. I had different types of tilt. One type was the loose calls tilt. Another was the tighten up tilt. And many more.... Then I found FCP and finally figured out that if my opponent makes a bad call/bet, I should be happy because it means I'm playing well. However, notice how this still leaves in room for tilt. Nowadays, I don't find myself tilting all that much because if I make a mistake, it's usually a marginal one. But if i find myself being on the other side of the spectrum (i.e. making a bad call or shove for all the money), I DO tilt. When i start tilting I immediately cut myself off from playing anymore. So my advice for you would be:1. Adopt the philosophy of bad opponent's play making you happy, regardless of results.2. Play well so you can continue to make your opponents play bad and therefore, stay off of tilt.3. If you do find yourself making a bad play and tilting, quit immediately.#3 would be pretty hard to do if you're playing an STT or MTT. Move over to cash??? Or get someone to take over while you cool off for 10 minutes or so.However, I would think all of this is pretty standard and something you should have picked up by now for as long as you've been playing.

"so i threw $400 on fulltilt and in the course of one day I built it into $1,600 playing 1/2 and 2/4 pot limit omaha"pretty much any loss is going to tilt the heck out of you when you're playing outside of your roll

a real response:It took fulltime playing to limit tilt. To be honest, i tilted like a fuccking ape when i played once in a while, esp in tourneys.fast forward to playing fulltime, and I dont care anymore. shit is standard and routine. No time to tilt anymore

a real response:It took fulltime playing to limit tilt. To be honest, i tilted like a fuccking ape when i played once in a while, esp in tourneys.fast forward to playing fulltime, and I dont care anymore. shit is standard and routine. No time to tilt anymore
What's weird is that there are times I tilt when I play online, but when I play live I hardly get tilted and I've had quite a few horrible beats. But like Royal said, it's standard and you really stop caring because in all honesty tomorrow is another day.

Drinking Proplayer Dosnt stop you from tilting?shock and Aww

What's weird is that there are times I tilt when I play online, but when I play live I hardly get tilted and I've had quite a few horrible beats. But like Royal said, it's standard and you really stop caring because in all honesty tomorrow is another day.
I agree, doesn't make much sense but I rarely ever feel im on a tilt in live play, but online is a whole different story!
I agree, doesn't make much sense but I rarely ever feel im on a tilt in live play, but online is a whole different story!
I believe its because its cold hard cash (actual chips) that make that difference.... so the easy answer to this is... if you deposit 400, then keep 400 real monies by you... and every time you tilt a buck or two, even 100... just lite those bills on fire and i bet you get the message real quick :club:-Dr. Phil

I used to be one of the worst tilters around. I still slip from time to time. But I have developed a lot more self control I play anywhere from 30-60 hours a week live with some of the worst players in existence. And after sooooooooo many bad beats I just got numb to it. My last outburst was a couple months ago this chick called soe ridiculous bet against me to hit a flush draw (which began my tilt) then the very next hand she raises and I call with 45o due to being on tilt of course, flop 236 rainbow she leads like 20 or 30 I insta push for the 150 or so I got left and she calls with pocket tens and hits a runner runner flush. I proced to stand up and kick this little drink table across the room. But yeah one thing that helps me is to just walk away for a while. Go take a breath get centered. Smoke one if that's your thing. Just remember there is nothing you can do about a bad beat.I think another reason some of us tilt worse than others is the fact that we try so much harder than the average player to be good at poker. And it just blows when all the skill in the world can't beat a 3 outer. Its a very cruel game.But if everyone played perfect we would never make any money. I haven't figured out how to get some dough loaded on PS someone should let me borrow 10 til I get a deposit.

I used to be one of the worst tilters around. I still slip from time to time. But I have developed a lot more self control I play anywhere from 30-60 hours a week live with some of the worst players in existence. And after sooooooooo many bad beats I just got numb to it. My last outburst was a couple months ago this chick called soe ridiculous bet against me to hit a flush draw (which began my tilt) then the very next hand she raises and I call with 45o due to being on tilt of course, flop 236 rainbow she leads like 20 or 30 I insta push for the 150 or so I got left and she calls with pocket tens and hits a runner runner flush. I proced to stand up and kick this little drink table across the room. But yeah one thing that helps me is to just walk away for a while. Go take a breath get centered. Smoke one if that's your thing. Just remember there is nothing you can do about a bad beat.I think another reason some of us tilt worse than others is the fact that we try so much harder than the average player to be good at poker. And it just blows when all the skill in the world can't beat a 3 outer. Its a very cruel game.But if everyone played perfect we would never make any money. I haven't figured out how to get some dough loaded on PS someone should let me borrow 10 til I get a deposit.
Huh?I'll give you runner-runner boat, but runner-runner flush is unpossible.
Huh?I'll give you runner-runner boat, but runner-runner flush is unpossible.
My bad. It was 2 spades on the flop not rainbow. There goes my FCP street cred. I just really was focused on the fact I flopped the pure nuts with garbage and then seeing her flip over TT. And thinking wow I have her beat to death. I actually thought she had the flush draw when she called and was thrilled to see her hand. Then disaster strikes. I don't think I would have freaked so bad if the same chick didn't just crush my set the hand before.
My bad. It was 2 spades on the flop not rainbow. There goes my FCP street cred. I just really was focused on the fact I flopped the pure nuts with garbage and then seeing her flip over TT. And thinking wow I have her beat to death. I actually thought she had the flush draw when she called and was thrilled to see her hand. Then disaster strikes. I don't think I would have freaked so bad if the same chick didn't just crush my set the hand before.
I would have peed in her purse and called her a whore, probably better that you just tilted off an extra buyin or 4.
I would have peed in her purse and called her a whore, probably better that you just tilted off an extra buyin or 4.
Lol were you playing 1/2 NL at the nugget a couple months ago? That sounded judt like some of the crazy shit this drunk dude was saying to this chick there.
Lol were you playing 1/2 NL at the nugget a couple months ago? That sounded judt like some of the crazy shit this drunk dude was saying to this chick there.
Actually, I was in Vegas in September, but I've never played at the Nugget. I'm actually the picture of self control when I'm drunk, it's when I'm dead sober that crazy comes out to play.
Actually, I was in Vegas in September, but I've never played at the Nugget. I'm actually the picture of self control when I'm drunk, it's when I'm dead sober that crazy comes out to play.
I was mostly on the strip (stayed at Luxor, which I think is a shit hole for the price). I just wanted to go downtown and check out the horseshoe and stuff. The nuggets card room is a shit hole as well , but it was actually one of my most fun sessions. A bunch of hard luck loser types talking about how they would have made it if they wouldn't have gotten sucked out on by tourists there whole life. Really helped me get motivated to never be that guy. I also got some really good weed down there from a street dealer. Of course it was overpriced and under quantity but I never got a decent deal the whole time I was there.Those guys are making a killing out there selling nickel bags for like twenty. Can't blame em though I would tax me to if I knew I could get away with it.

Gman, if you don't learn anything from my following post, at least learn this: The best players aren't always the biggest winners. It's those who have those x-factors such as money management and level-headedness who are the biggest winners. You were obviously playing way out of your bankroll and with such few buyins and your apparent ability to go on tilt, your odds of keeping this money long-term (with your previous strategy) was 0%. Stay within your means and if you suffer a bad beat and can't stop yourself from going on tilt, stop playing. Go out and do something you enjoy, whether it be watch a movie, shoot hoops, etc. Keep your ego out of it, just because you lost money does not mean you have to get it back now. There will still be poker tomorrow, so wait until tomorrow, when you are more even-keeled and therefore have more equity. This is another "x-factor," keeping your ego out of poker.You're also not +EV in cash games, as you've tilted $1K+ 7 or 8 times before. This is another "x-factor." Know where/what games you're +EV and when you are not. It is apparent (by your info) that you are +EV in SNG's and MTT's. Stick to those. If you want to improve your cash game, play lower limits that you have sufficient buyins for, don't play 1/2 and higher. There are a ton of grinders from 1/2 and higher and they will eat you up.