what is the biggest leak in your game right now?

Just wondering if I would get any responses to this question. I think my biggest flaw is letting a hand go when I know I have just been donked out on. (i.e. someone hits runner runner for a flush when I flopped trips and didn't improve AND did not give them near the right odds to chase.) I find that laying these down are much easier at higher limits, but when I go down levels it just enrages me so much that I get tilted. This is what I am working on shearing up right now. Any one else?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My biggest problem is in MTT's. I play well for the first hour or two and generally build a good solid chip stack, once it starts nearing the bubble I donk of a huge portion of my stack to small stacks pushing all in. I think I need to be more patient as I am going in to many pots at this stage as a margional underdog. I am really trying to focus on my table position and the size of bets I am throwing out to steal blinds.I have always pushed to win MTT's and not squeak into the money but I really would like to be more consistant with my final table apperances. I know to accomplish this I need to really try and keep my focus on picking my spots regardless of the cards I am holding.

My biggest problem is in MTT's. I play well for the first hour or two and generally build a good solid chip stack, once it starts nearing the bubble I donk of a huge portion of my stack to small stacks pushing all in. I think I need to be more patient as I am going in to many pots at this stage as a margional underdog. I am really trying to focus on my table position and the size of bets I am throwing out to steal blinds.I have always pushed to win MTT's and not squeak into the money but I really would like to be more consistant with my final table apperances. I know to accomplish this I need to really try and keep my focus on picking my spots regardless of the cards I am holding.
I have the same problem. GL.

My biggest problem is if I have been getting drawn out on more than usual, I get impatient and start chasing when I KNOW that I shouldn't.. It takes me awhile to get myself together after I have donked off money. :oops:

Just wondering if I would get any responses to this question. I think my biggest flaw is letting a hand go when I know I have just been donked out on. (i.e. someone hits runner runner for a flush when I flopped trips and didn't improve AND did not give them near the right odds to chase.) I find that laying these down are much easier at higher limits, but when I go down levels it just enrages me so much that I get tilted. This is what I am working on shearing up right now. Any one else?
Yea i can have trouble with letting go once sucked out on.My biggest leak is JJ. Just cant play that hand right for some reason.

My biggest problem is not respecting a preflop reraise from the blinds in say a 6 handed NL cash game when I have a hand like KJ suited on the button and I make what appears to be a blind steal. I'm very aggressive on the button so I always convince myself that the blinds are getting fed up and are just playing back at me to keep me in line, and thats its quite possible I have the best hand. I'm learning more and more now that a HUGE percentage of the time the blinds are just waking up with premium pocket pairs and these are just raises for value. It is rare to find players at the low limit NL games that will consistently defend their blinds with giant reraises with subpar holdings. All in all, I need to stop OVER-thinking hands and put myself in my opponents shoes more. I also have the same problem that the OP mentioned. It's been very difficult for me to lay down a flopped top set on the river when in my gut I KNOW that I just got runner runner'ed by some short stack that couldnt lay down a backdoor flush draw. This is all the more difficult when the shortstack sticks his last $30 into a $100 pot on the river, and you KNOW he got there but you just can't fold getting better than 3-1 pot odds. Discipline comes in many forms, and its not just starting hand selection, its being able to swallow back down the vomit that just came up your throat, fold, and move on. GL.

You need to stop thinking you can call 3 or 4k preflop cuz you have 20k.and you need to stop making these calls with hands like KJ, or A,x etc..
You need to stop thinking you can call 3 or 4k preflop cuz you have 20k.and you need to stop making these calls with hands like KJ, or A,x etc..
Very true. I think another problem I have is when I get deep in the tournament and the blinds are big, I try to steal with mediocre hands, and I get caught. This can make you lose quite a few of chips also.

Lately my issue has been after seeing a flop wher eno one has shown any strength, no raises pre-flop checks around to me.I then bet trying to steal the pot even though the flop has missed me COMPLETELY. More often than not I get one or two callers. This has cost me some money lately.Tilt has been an issue. I have taken some pretty sick beats lately. AA vs AK, AA vs KK, KK vs JJ, KK vs A9 - with money all-in preflop on ALL of them. has cost me about $140 of my bankroll. God damn donks keep sucking out....

Very true. I think another problem I have is when I get deep in the tournament and the blinds are big, I try to steal with mediocre hands, and I get caught. This can make you lose quite a few of chips also.
Read HOH volume 2, other than that, i can only suggest to pick your spots a little better, you might get caught a couple times but if you are making it obvious as button raises etc... also paying attention to the desperate stacks, and whos willing to gamble, if you do happen to raise their blind.

My biggest leak is thinking that I can play while holding my 6 month old, while my 2 1/2 year old is singing at the top of her lungs, all the while my wife is sitting watching American Idol. But all in all, my game is pretty solid right now. Thanks for asking!!

My problem is also calling too many all-ins when I have a decent stack with marginal hands and the tourney is close to money. I play to win every time and I think i just need to try and finish consistently in mtts on the interent instead of getting so excited when the money is close

My biggest leak is thinking that I can play while holding my 6 month old, while my 2 1/2 year old is singing at the top of her lungs, all the while my wife is sitting watching American Idol. But all in all, my game is pretty solid right now. Thanks for asking!!
I got a headache just reading this post.
Absolutely my biggest leak is not letting go once I've been sucked out. I play almost exclusively Pot Limit Omaha, and while I am winning quite a bit, I could be winning more if I didn't call on the end when the longshot bad card hits. Sometimes it's very difficult, because I'll be getting massive odds to make the call, and there is some percentage of chance that opponent is bluffing, so I often call when I'm nearly sure I'm beat. In Omaha, its not uncommon to flop a very big nut hand with a redraw to the nuttier nuts, and still get beat. Like for example when you have top set and the nut flush draw, and someone spikes a higher set on you. I have found myself paying these off lately, and I need to stop.
Absolutely my biggest leak is not letting go once I've been sucked out. I play almost exclusively Pot Limit Omaha, and while I am winning quite a bit, I could be winning more if I didn't call on the end when the longshot bad card hits. Sometimes it's very difficult, because I'll be getting massive odds to make the call, and there is some percentage of chance that opponent is bluffing, so I often call when I'm nearly sure I'm beat. In Omaha, its not uncommon to flop a very big nut hand with a redraw to the nuttier nuts, and still get beat. Like for example when you have top set and the nut flush draw, and someone spikes a higher set on you. I have found myself paying these off lately, and I need to stop.
You hit the nail right on the head. It's so hard to fold in these situations. If I could plug this leak I'd see my profits go up immensily. The short stacks get me in trouble for this reason.

Pushing too small of edges on the flop(having too much faith in others folding draws for all their chips), and actually expecting the best hand to win...And I have no luck, pretty much cant win a pot unless my opponent's drawing dead, in which case my computer usually bursts into flames and all my money gets stolen by a hacker from Denmark....

I couldnt agree more Royal. I have been getting selectively better with protecting my chip stack, but not always. The Neg-o lastnight is a perfect example of where I lose focus and start thinking "well I have lots of chips and maybe it is worth risking an eighth of my chips to put someone out." This is by far my biggest crutch, I have only been playing for a year and I have made progress in the consistancy of my tournament play but I would be a fool to think I didnt have a long way to go.Cheers

Getting bored when I am getting cold decked and watching all the fish get the money...