PokerStars $10+1 $15k Guaranteed NLHE MTTUTG 45kMP1 218kMP2 614kCO 618kCobalt 240kSB 223kBB 853kBlinds 10k/20k w/ 1k ante7 left of ~1800Cobalt is button w/ 99. I've probably got an okay image. Got "caught bluffing" w/ 9 players left. Then got really short earlier and had to shove w/ KJ in MP. BB (from this hand) is kind of loose and doubled me up with JT from the button. Since that shove, I've pushed over opponents' pre-flop raises twice and had folds. Players are generally bad. 7th pays $560. 1st pays $4.1k.Pre-flop:4 folds, Cobalt raises to 60k or pushes ?

My initial thought is push. If you bet 60K you might get called by a weak A from one of the blinds. If one of the blinds does have a hand better than ours we still might get them to lay it down. I think I push to much sometimes so this might be bad advice. I am a go big or go home guy....Push and pray.

I would probably push if you planned to call a shove from either of the other two players.And I would, so I would push, so that nobody decides to shove on you with QJ or something silly, and then you're forced to race with them, when they would have folded had you shoved. I take my chances that the 9s are the best hand here, and if someone decides to call with a big A I am ok racing.You're definitely borderline push/raise with your chipstack though. I like the Negreanu raise to 50K, because thats a lot easier to fold (20% of your stack) than the 60K, which is 25%.Mark

Addendum question...for those in favor of pushing over standard-raising...do you alter your play if you have a higher pair than 99? How much of a higher pair? Also, if you favor pushing, how big does your stack need to be before you'll just make the standard raise?

Addendum question...for those in favor of pushing over standard-raising...do you alter your play if you have a higher pair than 99? How much of a higher pair? Also, if you favor pushing, how big does your stack need to be before you'll just make the standard raise?
Since the players suck, I might only raise to 60K with AA or KK.If my stack was 300K, I would make my standard 50 to 60K raise and fold to a push.I don't know how correct that is though, you tourney guys tell me :)Mark

The key here is the stack size of the SB. You simply don't want to create any kind of window where he thinks he has FE and decides to shove KJ. You want him to fold all of the mediocre two overcard hands. If either he or the BB has a real hand, they're coming anyway. You're playing for the win - you shouldn't be concerned with the utg shorty - you're gonna need to double a couple times. With a better hand and your stack, say [JJ+, AK], I would probably throw a minraise out there and hope the SB shoves with junk. but if, as you say, the BB is loose and bad, i'd be more inclined to just shove and hope he makes a hero call. I would probably make a standard raise if I had 300k+. i'm ok with putting 20% of my stack in preflop and having to possibly fold at some point later in the hand, but 25% or more...meh.

Since the players suck, I might only raise to 60K with AA or KK.If my stack was 300K, I would make my standard 50 to 60K raise and fold to a push.I don't know how correct that is though, you tourney guys tell me :)Mark
If my stack was 300 K and I put in the raise for 60 K, I wouldn't be folding to a push because I'm on the button..Blinds could be playing back at me with a variety of hands, thus making it a +EV call against his range IMO As for the actual hand, I think MK is right by saying push..We add a good deal to our stack with antes/blinds if not called, and its possible to get called by Ace 8 and below thinking were on a steal ( a very, very loose call, but I've seen it)

It says 7 left, and you talk about 7th place money, but there are only six players shown?The problem in this hand is that BB has the big stack, so you dont want to challenge him with a push, and raises cost you a lot of chips relative to the stacks near you. I would limp/fold to a raise, and play it for set value.

It says 7 left, and you talk about 7th place money, but there are only six players shown?The problem in this hand is that BB has the big stack, so you dont want to challenge him with a push, and raises cost you a lot of chips relative to the stacks near you. I would limp/fold to a raise, and play it for set value.
Ewww I hate limping on the button, especially with a hand as strong as 99, short stacked 6 or 7 handed whatever it is..I can't see how that would be right
A limp is too expensive to play set value (you are in the orange zone). You have a good hand, and your M is 6-7, I think a push has to be correct.
Ewww I hate limping on the button, especially with a hand as strong as 99, short stacked 6 or 7 handed whatever it is..I can't see how that would be right
I agree with this. I couldn't open-limp the button here with 99. The button can have any two cards and will be able to use his stack to push us off of our hand if we see overcards, assuming we don't hit our set. Even if we do hit our set there's absolutely 0 reason to think we'll get paid off on it. The villan could be holding 27o here and is in check/fold mode. Villian could easily put you on a steal as you were caught bluffing not too long ago, and you said your image was only 'okay'. If you raise and he smooth-calls it would be hard to put him on a pocket-pair smaller than yours, so it's more likely he has overs. What happens whent he flop comes A 10 3 rainbow and he bets out. How often are you ahead then? I wouldn't think it could be too often. I think a shove is the right play. There is 36k in the pot pre-flop, and winning that increases your stack by 15%. If you get called a good portion of his range includes hands you're racing with. I definately shove.I could be WAY wrong here though. LOL
A limp is too expensive to play set value (you are in the orange zone). You have a good hand, and your M is 6-7, I think a push has to be correct.
I dont love it either, I just think its the least of the evils. With BB having a huge stack and you having position, I think youve got close to the implied chip odds for a limp (10:1 payoff, can you get him to pay you off 50 or 60% of the time you hit? If so I think its worth it because doubling up is huge, and the 20k chips have very little value. limp>fold>push>raise

push>fold>>>>>raise>limpLimping is the weakest, worst decision. Limping is like giving up. You are too proud to be deemed super weak/tight in folding the 99 but too scared to bust when people are in more dire straits. Push and fold are the two best options and I don't think it's very close.

push>fold>>>>>raise>limpLimping is the weakest, worst decision. Limping is like giving up. You are too proud to be deemed super weak/tight in folding the 99 but too scared to bust when people are in more dire straits. Push and fold are the two best options and I don't think it's very close.
fold cant possibly be >>>>limp, with these stacks if you have to fold to a raise youve lost next to nothing, if the limp goes through you have some equity with position.
fold cant possibly be >>>>limp, with these stacks if you have to fold to a raise youve lost next to nothing, if the limp goes through you have some equity with position.
I'm not folding to a raise though, I'm getting all in. Which is why I ranked raise over limp, because I'm getting my chips in 6 handed with an M of 6.6 with 99. I'm trying to play this hand and make money with it and possibly with all my chips. This is where I make moves, as where I'm normally erring to the side of caution it seems that's what you advise in this situation.Limping for set value is so foreing to me in this situation. I limp in the first 3/4 levels with PP and then pretty much fold or raise them. That wouldn't even enter into my mindset at this point of a tournament, not that it is ridiculous just not my cup of tea.
I'm not folding to a raise though, I'm getting all in. Which is why I ranked raise over limp, because I'm getting my chips in 6 handed with an M of 6.6 with 99. I'm trying to play this hand and make money with it and possibly with all my chips. This is where I make moves, as where I'm normally erring to the side of caution it seems that's what you advise in this situation.Limping for set value is so foreing to me in this situation. I limp in the first 3/4 levels with PP and then pretty much fold or raise them. That wouldn't even enter into my mindset at this point of a tournament, not that it is ridiculous just not my cup of tea.
I really think you're too focused on your hand and not focused enough on the other stacks here. There is no way that getting it all in pre-flop with 99 is +$EV here.
I really think you're too focused on your hand and not focused enough on the other stacks here. There is no way that getting it all in pre-flop with 99 is +$EV here.
The only stack of importance is UTG who will need to push next hand, it would suck leaving before him, but it's worth the risk IMO. Unless you mean that BB is huge and may well call us. But that's fine with me, if I were BB my range on the call would be pretty tight, but I'm very tight. What do you think BB range is? If it's looser isn't that fine with us holding 99? 99 is a good hand, I don't mind having to go to showdown with it. I mean I wouldn't call off my stack with the 99 but pushing it is fine IMO, although I'm sure you already knew that about me.
The only stack of importance is UTG who will need to push next hand, it would suck leaving before him, but it's worth the risk IMO. Unless you mean that BB is huge and may well call us. But that's fine with me, if I were BB my range on the call would be pretty tight, but I'm very tight. What do you think BB range is? If it's looser isn't that fine with us holding 99? 99 is a good hand, I don't mind having to go to showdown with it. I mean I wouldn't call off my stack with the 99 but pushing it is fine IMO, although I'm sure you already knew that about me.
Disagree. The stacks that are most important are the ones that you are close to. They are your competition for $$ at this point in the tourney, and anything you invest in a pot has to take your position relative to them into account.
are you kidding?
What happens whent he flop comes A 10 3 rainbow and he bets out. How often are you ahead then? I wouldn't think it could be too often.
I'm comfortable with my post-flop ability. And if villain donkbets me, I'm actually far more comfortable since he'd probably check-raise a pretty good hand.