:::::BTW I'M STUPID, THIS IS FOR THE 2006 ME FINAL TABLE.... DOH.:::::::I never noticed it before, but I was looking through my May 2007 Bluff magazine with Paul Wasicka on the cover, and read his article. This excerpt really caught my eye:"Five months later, Paul was heads up against Jamie Gold for $12 million and the World Championship title. And it all could have worked out so differently. You see, if you look back at that final hand, go on, check it out now. YouTube it - at no point does Paul Wasicka call all in. His final words are, "Okay, you've talked me into it." At which point, Jamie cris, "You call? You call? YES!" and flips over his hand. Strictly, at this point, Jamie's hand should be declared dead. Was Paul intending to call at all? Was he simply trying to gain information? This, Ladies and gentleman, is the $12 million question.""There is something there," Wasicka says. "The last hand, I honestly wanted to get a read on him. I wanted to pretend that I was ready to call to get his reaction. Then he flipped his hand over, and I thought to myself,Oh no. I thought, well, he already exposed his hand, and I don't want to create controversy in the biggest tournament in history. Six million is a lot of money, in in my opinion, reputation is very important. I didn't wat to be known as the shady guy who called the floor on the final hand of the WSOP. But I don't even like talking about it. And I don't care if people believe me or not. I know how it went down, I was there"Personally, I have never heard this from Wasicka or anyone else about the final hand. I looked at the YouTube video:

The video, being a bit obscured from different camera angles from being used and whatnot, shows a pretty interesting scene. Wasicka never called all in. He stood up in a gesture similar with that of someone standing up to throw his cards up, like so many players do when all in for their tournament life, but never said "I call."Not that any of this matters, but what would you have done in Wasicka's position? Considering Jamie Gold had been testing the rules and regulations of tournament play all week and had gotten away with countless things, would you plead your case to the tourney director, or just take the $6mil as a consolation of being a 'nice guy with a good reputation.'BTW, looking at it again, it seems that Wasicka had said "I think you talked me into it." Not a call, IMO.-(sorry if someone had posted this before, I never saw it)Thoughts?

This exact question was brought up about 2 weeks ago, on the forum for my former local game in Philly. I have since moved to Florida and can no longer play :club:.Anyways, my thoughts were the Tournament Director or the Dealer should have rules Gold's hand dead. It should never have been left up to Wasicka to even think about calling jamie Gold out. The TD and dealer should have done their jobs and mucked his hand, and not ever put Wasicka in that position.However, failing the TD and the dealer to do their jobs, Wasicka should have called it out. I dont care if its the WSOP, there are just some things you dont do in Tournament poker. Rule #1 is dont show your hand. Gold should have known that, period. If he didnt, or pleaded ignorance. Oh well... it's one hand... lesson learned.I believe if I was in Wasicka's shoes, I hold my hand, and see if the TD or dealer do anything. If not, I guard my cards with my life, and go to the dealer's side and ask to bring the TD over, and go from there.I think, initially, if Wasicka called out Gold and got the hand declared dead, he would have taken some flack until the WSOP aired on ESPN. Then after watching all the footage everyone would have switched to Wasicka's side, agreeing with him in that Gold was getting away with so much during the entire tournament.Just my 2 cents...

I wasn't aware of this. Gold did a lot of things against the rules in the WSOP. From what I hear, he also did a lot of things like Wasicka was trying to do, like exposing his hand in cash games, but never saying "call" to get players to show their hands.If Wasicka would have said that he never called and then mucked, and then came back and won the WSOP, it would have been a perfect result to make up for what Gold did throughout the WSOP and for years before that.

So, just to sum up:Paul Wasicka > Jamie GoldBoth as a poker player and as a human being. Cool article, basically validates the opinions already shared by nearly everyone.

Hmmmm...interesting. I never noticed this when I watched it, and I haven't heard anything about this either. When watching it again, he does look kinda shell-shocked when Jamie flips over his hand and starts to freak out, as to say "Wait...I didn't call". Wasicka earns more and more of my respect everytime I see him play/hear something new about him.Edit: and Jamie was just saying how he had Paul, hence the "alright, you talked me into it" comment perhaps.

Wasicka is clearly the better person, but I really don't think he should have thought about it from a morality standpoint. Gold let his emotions get the better of him, it was his own fault he revealed his hand before the verbal "call."

Why does everybody think Jamie Gold is a bad person? That was his first time in such a large tournament in a position to win $12mil. YOU WOULD GET EXCITED TOO. Sometimes we get ahead of ourselves. I don't think Wasicka plans to ever contest this, so what's the point in talking about it?

Why does everybody think Jamie Gold is a bad person? That was his first time in such a large tournament in a position to win $12mil. YOU WOULD GET EXCITED TOO. Sometimes we get ahead of ourselves. I don't think Wasicka plans to ever contest this, so what's the point in talking about it?
I have to agree. As much as I dislike his personality "type" and some of the things that get tossed around the rumor mill....and heck, especially the bending or breaking of tourney rules w/o anyone calling him out....I blame the other players just as much as him as well as the TD because it's up to them to enforce them.If instead of getting a penalty every time you said the F-bomb, you were awarded the pot, because your dealer was an idiot, wouldn't you keep saying it? I know, extreme example, but if Jamie thought he was within his rights all those times, and never get penalized, why should he stop?I dunno, I know WHY he should stop, but I don't think he's a bad person. Just an amateur, got really excited a few times, did a few stupid things, said some stupid things, etc. Not the first time.
Gold broke rules in the WSOP and didn't get penalized.I think that it's a little too late for Wasicka to contest what happened, even if he wanted to. About nine months too late.
"Five months later, Paul was heads up against Jamie Gold for $12 million and the World Championship title. And it all could have worked out so differently. You see, if you look back at that final hand, go on, check it out now. YouTube it - at no point does Paul Wasicka call all in. His final words are, "Okay, you've talked me into it." At which point, Jamie cris, "You call? You call? YES!" and flips over his hand. Strictly, at this point, Jamie's hand should be declared dead. Was Paul intending to call at all? Was he simply trying to gain information? This, Ladies and gentleman, is the $12 million question."
Not true....Strictly, exposing cards prematurely should constitute a penalty, not the cards being declared dead. Unless,it is not the first time the offender has done this and has already been given escalated penalties.

Just my opinion:By the rules, he didn't call. But he intended to call and knew he was calling, strictly by his mannerisms.Also, who knows what was said? There's a level of integrity there (that Gold doesn't follow) where even if you don't EXACTLY say call, it is so obvious what your intentions are that both players know what's happening without the law having to be followed to the exact letter. If I mumble something, and you say "Did you call?" and I nod and mouth "yea" without saying it, did I call? Clearly both players are in agreement but by the rules I never said it.

Jamie Gold did this to a guy almost exact scenario for a huge pot. It was posted on this forum a while back. Jamie had the nut full house and the other guy had quads and he had pushed in and jamie said "I guess I have to call" or something like that and the guy exposed his hand. Jamie said he never said call and did'nt put another chip in the pot. He is a deuch so I would'nt have felt bad if it was me and i did it to him.

Jamie Gold did this to a guy almost exact scenario for a huge pot. It was posted on this forum a while back. Jamie had the nut full house and the other guy had quads and he had pushed in and jamie said "I guess I have to call" or something like that and the guy exposed his hand. Jamie said he never said call and did'nt put another chip in the pot. He is a deuch so I would'nt have felt bad if it was me and i did it to him.
He's from Holland??

jamie gold... I dont necessarily dislike him. well yeah i kind of do. but it is only because of the way he acted, not only at the final table when he had a chance to win 12 mil, but the whole tournament. he did so many things in this tournament that he should have been penalized for, and i really dont know why he wasnt??? oh well...

Isn't that German?
No...then it would have said:"QUOTE(silkyjonson @ Thursday, May 10th, 2007, 8:32 PM) Jamie Gold did this to a guy almost exact scenario for a huge pot. It was posted on this forum a while back. Jamie had the nut full house and the other guy had quads and he had pushed in and jamie said "I guess I have to call" or something like that and the guy exposed his hand. Jamie said he never said call and did'nt put another chip in the pot. He is a German so I would'nt have felt bad if it was me and i did it to him.

It's not always what you say, but how you say it. The way Wasika said that implied a call, and if I was Gold (which I'm not) I would have been extremely excited as well. I wouldn't have flipped my cards over until I heard call, but I can't really blame him for it. The fact that this has become an issue is absurd.

What? Paul had only two options. Call or Muck. He didn't muck therefore it must be he called. Maybe Paul was joking in this interview and being facetious. Fore those of us who dislike Jamie Gold this doesn't make us dislike him more. For those of us who are indifferent or like him, this doesn't build a case to start hating him. Paul has done well since the WSOP and Jamie has done nothing to disprove he was just on some incredibly lucky streak to win last year.

It's not always what you say, but how you say it. The way Wasika said that implied a call, and if I was Gold (which I'm not) I would have been extremely excited as well. I wouldn't have flipped my cards over until I heard call, but I can't really blame him for it. The fact that this has become an issue is absurd.
QFT
Just my opinion:By the rules, he didn't call. But he intended to call and knew he was calling, strictly by his mannerisms.Also, who knows what was said? There's a level of integrity there (that Gold doesn't follow) where even if you don't EXACTLY say call, it is so obvious what your intentions are that both players know what's happening without the law having to be followed to the exact letter. If I mumble something, and you say "Did you call?" and I nod and mouth "yea" without saying it, did I call? Clearly both players are in agreement but by the rules I never said it.
There's a thin line, I agree, but the action of saying, "I think you talked me into it" and then standing up.... Yes, It looks like he's going to call. BUT.HE.HASN'T.YET.Isn't poker all about deception anyway? Wasicka said in the article that he was trying to get jamie to give away his hand, and he did, to the fullest! He fucking showed his hand!I think if Jamie Gold wasn't such an animated player and didn't rejoice like he did, something might have occured to not give Jamie the pot.

saying "I think you talked me into it" and immediately standing up sure looks like a call to me...he may not have SAID the word 'call' but if I was the TD and reviewed the video I'd make the judgement in favor of JG. Ive watched this hand several times, and by the rules of 'instant replay'...I would say the evidence is inconclusive and the ruling on the field stands.

I agree with cubs99 and troy that "Ok you talked me into it," and then standing up implies a call. Of COURSE Gold shouldn't have shown his cards immediately, but he was excited and got ahead of himself, and it was clear that Wasicka was calling.

saying "I think you talked me into it" and immediately standing up sure looks like a call to me...he may not have SAID the word 'call' but if I was the TD and reviewed the video I'd make the judgement in favor of JG. Ive watched this hand several times, and by the rules of 'instant replay'...I would say the evidence is inconclusive and the ruling on the field stands.
It's good that you're not a TD.There was no "ruling on the field" because no one asked for a ruling.
I agree with cubs99 and troy that "Ok you talked me into it," and then standing up implies a call. Of COURSE Gold shouldn't have shown his cards immediately, but he was excited and got ahead of himself, and it was clear that Wasicka was calling.
I saw a WPT main event in which Scotty Nguyen said, "I can't call" and it was assumed that he folded, but he planned on raising. It caused some controversy and a bad ruling was made, but I don't recall exactly what happened after he said it. I just remember that a bad ruling was made.