I recently sat down at a 4/8 limit game at Binion's and the table was involved in a heated debate. I would like to hear your opinion on this topic:A guy that had just left the table had actually been asked to leave by a couple of the players. It turns out that he had never played before, and had gone through several hundred dollars (even at those stakes). He apparently had no clue. The two veterans who asked him to leave felt that it wasn't ethical to continue to pound this guy. The rest of the table wanted more money.Is there a point where it becomes unethical to take money from a fish or someone new to the game?

Seriously... Is this even a question?If someone is willing to put money on the table... Then they are free game... end of story... its sickening that some people just dont like money...and then ruin it for everyone?

I recently sat down at a 4/8 limit game at Binion's and the table was involved in a heated debate. I would like to hear your opinion on this topic:A guy that had just left the table had actually been asked to leave by a couple of the players. It turns out that he had never played before, and had gone through several hundred dollars (even at those stakes). He apparently had no clue. The two veterans who asked him to leave felt that it wasn't ethical to continue to pound this guy. The rest of the table wanted more money.Is there a point where it becomes unethical to take money from a fish or someone new to the game?
i'd contnue to pound the guy(sounds dirty :club: )
On a side note... Zach, have you really posted 1809 times since joining less than two weeks ago?
Zach is a god among men

If his losses got to a ridiculous amount I think I'd talk to the guy and find out what's up. If he's happy and willing to blow it then more power to him. Some people just don't care and really just want to gamble. If, however, it turns out (for example) that his wife just divorced him and he's donking off his savings in a drunken rage...then well yeah, maybe helping the addict out - helping a person in need - is more important than your bankroll. :club:

"But, as Canada Bill Jones said, it's immoral to let a sucker keep his money." -Mike McDermottSomebody had to do it... :club:

It's one thing to beat a guy and it's a completely different thing to leave him for dead. When a punch drunk boxer can't defend himself anymore the referee calls the fight. Same thing here, this guy sat down with no way to protect his money and there comes a point where you gotta tell the guy, "Look you're a little out of your league here and running through a lot more money than most players lose in this game. You sure you wanna keep playing?" or something to that effect. It's called being a human being.

It's one thing to beat a guy and it's a completely different thing to leave him for dead. When a punch drunk boxer can't defend himself anymore the referee calls the fight. Same thing here, this guy sat down with no way to protect his money and there comes a point where you gotta tell the guy, "Look you're a little out of your league here and running through a lot more money than most players lose in this game. You sure you wanna keep playing?" or something to that effect. It's called being a human being.
It's their decision to keep playing. If he loses what's in front of him at the table, and decides to reload more, that is his decision and should be his decision alone. Period.
It's their decision to keep playing. If he loses what's in front of him at the table, and decides to reload more, that is his decision and should be his decision alone. Period.
Obviously. No one's going to physically force him to leave. Asking him what's up and making a recommendation is an entirely different matter though. There are lots of times in life when someone's actions directly benefit you but it's the moral thing to stop them and help for their sake.

Whatever, that's dumb. The old regulars in Vegas suck. You can tell when somebody's losing money they can't afford to be losing. Several hundred bucks blown in Vegas is the price of entertainment for some people. If you find out he's really down and out after you have his money, you can buy him a bus ticket and a Big Bacon Classic value meal at Wendy's.When I used to play at Trump and Resorts in Gary, IN (outside Chicago), the best games could always be found on the days welfare checks came out. Yay money. Some people used to say I was being immoral, taking money from people who couldn't afford to lose it. I say, screw them, it was my money to begin with and they're just giving it back to me.

This is a very difficult topic. I had a post last summer on the same subject...a guy had a tumor the size of a softball (a Chicago 16" softball that is) on his neck and was drunk out of his mind. Clearly he was on his way out and had lost about $30,000 at the $2/5 NL game at the Wynn. The vultures were in full force.I chose to avoid taking his money. To me it was blood money. I did not judge the others...someone was going to get the money...why not them. This is a personal decision that each of us needs to make.It is seldom that you hit such an extreme situation.My advice is simple...only gamble is situations that you feel comfortable. If any situation makes you uncomfortable you should evaluate if you should be there.

Two schools of thought, eveidently. I tend to agree with those who state that> If you put your money on the table, be prepared to lose it. However, the sportsman in me suggests that, if a person has no clue what they're doing, they should piss off a learn the game, then come back and give away their money. At least they'll have some idea of how stupid they were to sit down at a game they don't know how to play. Also, some of you guys are sickening, the way it's all about money for you. I hope you rot in hell. Where's your enjoyment in the GAME part?

Two schools of thought, eveidently. I tend to agree with those who state that> If you put your money on the table, be prepared to lose it. However, the sportsman in me suggests that, if a person has no clue what they're doing, they should piss off a learn the game, then come back and give away their money. At least they'll have some idea of how stupid they were to sit down at a game they don't know how to play. Also, some of you guys are sickening, the way it's all about money for you. I hope you rot in hell. Where's your enjoyment in the GAME part?
i agree its one thing to beat up on a sucker its another thing to take someones money who shouldnt even be there...im a moral person and a firm beleiver in karma
i agree its one thing to beat up on a sucker its another thing to take someones money who shouldnt even be there...im a moral person and a firm beleiver in karma
too ****ing right, you greedy sick bastards. theres such a thing as being nice to a person, if you think thats bad and its all about money, go die a horrible death :club:

On the opposite side.. What about a guy who is playing just as horrible but keeps hitting his one or two outers and keeps getting lucky... Happened to our table last week at 4/8... donk playing 8/3 off and winning.. horrible horrible player... just his night to get lucky....I would want that one to leave... :club:

Well, its unethical to let a fish keeps its money. But telling him 'I really think you should try the lower stakes' or something similar i think is appropriate, but if he still wants to play, then who are you to say anymore, you gave him a chance to get out

how many times have you had your aces beat by some moron that plays 9-2? do you think that guy felt bad taking your money? this type of player is going to lose his money, but he's also going to hurt some players along the way. i have no sympathy for people that play in games they have no business in. i'll take his money or get bad beated by him, but i'm not going to chase him from the table so he can blow his wad on craps.

I sincerely hope that my general sense of decency would overcome my desire for the money I could make at a 4-8 table. I've actually had a person who wanted to play me heads-up for money that I simply refused to play because I knew they couldn't afford to lose. I didn't like the guy particularly, but my desire to pummel him was outweighed by the fact that he had a family at home who I felt could use the money better than me.That said, once a person has been "warned," they're fair game, I suppose. If I still didn't feel good about the situation, I would probably just request a table change. But anyone else at the table isn't under any obligation to spare someone if they feel like fair warning has been issued to a person who is obviously in over their head.Another poster's point was a good one, though -- you can usually tell when someone is just throwing money away having a good time and gamboooling, versus throwing money away while looking scared/angry/emotional. The first guy should be accomodated; the second guy should be spared, if possible. At least in the world I'd like to live in.