a break saved my game

Ok I am a lot limit player seeing as how I am in college and need all the money i can get. Therefore I dont build up my bankroll and really cant afford to keep that money in play most of the time. Well I was able to make over 200 a few weeks ago and then it seemed that my desire dropped for the game. I stayed at around 200 but wasnt playing very good poker. I was being overly aggressive with nothing and coupled with some unlucky runs at the table I was finding that I didnt desire the game like I should. I like most of yall am extremely competive and cant stand thinking is wrong with my game. I felt like I could outplay people and it led to just dumb moves against fish that well are to dumb to be outplayed. I found that it wasnt bothering me if i lost one or 2 sngs and to me that was a problem..So i took 2 weeks off. During that week I did still check up here and did some theory of poker and sshe reading but I didnt play any. I focused on school, freinds and God. I didnt let the desire to play become to strong and always found something else to pass the time. In a way I was letting my mind refresh itself which was badly needed.Well yesterday I rebought into Bodog. Only was able to get 2 sngs in but i took both down rather easily. I actually had a guy tell me that he was just plain getting out played by me. What I learned during my break is that I like most of you are taking in so much information so fast from sites like this and from the different books we read. I found that I was way overthinking my play and allowing myself to make mistakes from trying to out play people instead of just waiting on it. I heard a quote from DN where he said something to the effect that "great players dont waste money with marginal hands but maximize thier money with the monsters" That was a huge flaw in my game. I was tryin to force the marginal hands into monsters. Ok well i know this is long but I know that taking the week off to analyze myself and my game really improved it and I hope that at least a few will read this and at least try it. Its been paying dividends greatly for me.

yeah exactly, it seems like if i play all the time i get bored with it and just do it to pass the time. if i play every couple of days, im excited to play and really try to win. i do much much better when i take breaks

Happened to me a little while ago, I hit a nice rush and did well then lost about half of what I made and found that I needed to take a break from the game. Was trying to be in to many pots to outplay people intead of just sitting and waiting, trying to go back to the basics that won me money to begin with.

If I don't play everyday I feel neglected.Yesterday at work I had a 12 hour shift and I hadn't gone to sleep the previous night because I was on a huge rush on party. I knew I wouldn't be able to play when I got home due to being dead on my feet so I decided to deal out hands for about an hour to satisy my poker need.I hate taking time out to "think about my game" I know how to play and taking breaks only cuts into the money I could be making.

I'm thinking of a break as well. Lately online poker has been one step forward, two steps back, repeat. I'm up but it's not justifying the time spent playing. My plan is to take a break next week, hit up AC on the weekend for some good ol' live play, and get back to grinding the following monday.

Happened to me a little while ago, I hit a nice rush and did well then lost about half of what I made and found that I needed to take a break from the game. Was trying to be in to many pots to outplay people intead of just sitting and waiting, trying to go back to the basics that won me money to begin with.
great way to put it. i completely agree that after playing poker everyday for hours, i began to just outplay people instead of playing my normal game. it seemed like all i cared about was winning money fast.