OK, I don't expect sympathy from this. Nor do I want a bunch of people telling me that I was a dumbass because I already know that I was in this situation. This serves to hopefully help some of you avoid the mistake that I have made.A few months ago, Absolute came back to the forums. He was a regular on the forums back in the day, one of the big posters in Strat back with Smash, Iceman, etc... for all of you who remember those people. He was finishing college and had to take a couple months off, and was about to start a new job. He had no money at the time, and was looking for a stake to get back into action. I was asked, and was backed up by a man that I highly respect on this forum (will not name names, don't even ask) that staking him was a good idea.Absolute and I worked out a deal where I had joint access to the account because he gave me the password. He would play off my stake, and give me back the stake plus 50% of the stake amount once he had built up a workable bankroll. I agreed, and sent him the amount we agreed on.After a few weeks, he put me on ignore on AIM, changed the account password, and stopped contacting me. I finally contacted him through his Myspace account, and he was pressured into giving me back a small part of the stake. After that, we never spoke again. I have tried contacting him, but he has never responded. I have now written it off as a loss. It is not damaging to my bankroll in a major way, and is a lesson I probably could have learned a lot more expensively than this.So the lesson is that no matter how well you know someone through these forums, or other online poker, think twice about what you are doing before you transfer money. As people know, I have done swaps on sites for numerous people with no problems. I believe most people out there are good people and aren't out to scam people. There are a few people that will look to take advantage of those who are naive or less aware, like me in this case.As a final note, I would like to put out a bulletin that Absolute (FCP), his name is Dark_Bet on Party, is not to be trusted. If you are ever approached by this person, know that he is not a trustworthy person, as I have found out. I also have his real name, but am wary of posting that here. This is something that I feel I had to learn at some point, and I am lucky to learn it this early, and learn it by only losing a small chunk of my bankroll.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sucks bro. I've staqked a couple of people O've met through here, but only in live tournaments and everything's been done real legal like. The guys have been very trustworthy, and I hope they feel the same about me. Sorry to hear it though...don't worry, he's got his share of bad beats coming, aqnd I'm not just talking about poker. Karma is a *****.

Glad you could learn your lesson cheaply. I have a great time surfing these forums, and especially chatting with the Sickies. But I think this highlights one of the reasons e-friends are just that, and only with extreme caution should you consider them any more, especially if money is involved.I'm sure anyone degenerate and sad enough to steal a "small" amount of money like that will probably get whats coming to him.

Glad you could learn your lesson cheaply. I have a great time surfing these forums, and especially chatting with the Sickies. But I think this highlights one of the reasons e-friends are just that, and only with extreme caution should you consider them any more, especially if money is involved.I'm sure anyone degenerate and sad enough to steal a "small" amount of money like that will probably get whats coming to him.
So... you won't stake me?

He did come (back) and go (again) awfully quick last time.I almost forgot about him and assumed he was in OT.Keith give you the ok to stake?.. ok ok..I know, you shouldn't tell. I don't know who knows whom, really. Keith seems to know a lot of old posters.It's the risk of doing busines.50% juice is a lot more interest than a bank charges.seriously, I like you, so glad you kept it to a manageable loss.

Sorry to hear it, man. DTA.

a very unfortunate price of trusting people in this life. Ahh well...like poker you have to get your money in with +EV situations. Next time Zim...speaking of which, I hope this doesn't sour you on the idea of staking someone in general. Perhaps over the forums isn't a good idea, and maybe it's just not for you. But Staking is a proud tradition in poker and you just have to find the right people. Unfortunately, this first time was the wrong person.

He did come (back) and go (again) awfully quick last time.I almost forgot about him and assumed he was in OT.Keith give you the ok to stake?.. ok ok..I know, you shouldn't tell. I don't know who knows whom, really. Keith seems to know a lot of old posters.It's the risk of doing busines.50% juice is a lot more interest than a bank charges.seriously, I like you, so glad you kept it to a manageable loss.
I won't say who gave zim the advice to stake, but it definetly wasn't me. I actually was surprised that zim staked absolute when he told me way back. I can't say that I'm shocked to be honest and zim was lucky to get back some of it a while back due to a bunch of pressure being laid on absolute. I feel bad for you zim

How much of the 5% was recovered?

I was put in a simliar situation with a friend who was a good player and we were setting up the preliminary terms of the staking... etc etc. However, I read Barry Greenstein's section on staking and that sort of deal and decided that in the end it was not in our best interest as friends to go through with this. I felt that having a friendship with this person was more important and the possible strain that this could put on it was just not worth it. Oh well, this is just my own little staking aside.

I loaned the dude money and he never paid me back. It was such a small amount that I didn't feel I should make a post about it. I commented on it in OT a couple times, but maybe if I had made a big deal about it, Zim mighta avoided the situation. Well it's out there now, props to you for saying something Zim.It sucks to have people around here like that from time to time, but for every one of them, there's many others who are cool and trustworthy.

I'd be weary of anyone who asked to be staked.A good player can take a minimal deposit and build it to a workable amount pretty fast with very little risk. Sucks that he scammed you out of it. I dont know why you'd protect his identity.

I'd be weary of anyone who asked to be staked.A good player can take a minimal deposit and build it to a workable amount pretty fast with very little risk. Sucks that he scammed you out of it. I dont know why you'd protect his identity.
Why do people consistently screw this one up. It's one of my pet peeves. When you're weary of something you're tired of it, when you're leery of something it's something that you know you should be cautious of and maybe even flat out avoid. In conclusion, you're not weary, you're leery.As far as being staked goes, I disagree with Abba's point here. There are plenty of reasons to be staked. It's hard to make significant money in poker without having real money behind. Take a small deposit and building it up can work, but it can take a very long time and a lot of patience. That said, I don't think I'd want to deal with the hassles of staking or being staked, unless it was a tournament where I simply thought it was +EV to stake someone or someone wanted to stake me. I'd consider that because it's pretty cut and dried and there's a chance for a very big reward. I'd have no interest in cash game staking though. Zim, I feel bad for ya, sucks that Absolute turned out to be a scumbag.
Why do people consistently screw this one up. It's one of my pet peeves. When you're weary of something you're tired of it, when you're leery of something it's something that you know you should be cautious of and maybe even flat out avoid. In conclusion, you're not weary, you're leery.
Actually I believe the word they are looking for is "Wary" waryadj. war·i·er, war·i·est On guard; watchful: taught to be wary of strangers. Characterized by caution
OK, I don't expect sympathy from this. Nor do I want a bunch of people telling me that I was a dumbass because I already know that I was in this situation. This serves to hopefully help some of you avoid the mistake that I have made.
That sucks Zim. Thanks for the heads up.Can I borrow $5.00?