http://ca.news.yahoo.com/us-navy-vessels-l...130851-879.htmlSo American and British ships have launched Tomahawks and the French have sent in some planes to take out Libyan air defenses.Canada has also sent over 6 planes to help out.Times like this a nice precision guided laser beam from a satellite like you would see in a James Bond movie would come in handy to take the crazy guy out.
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/us-navy-vessels-l...130851-879.htmlSo American and British ships have launched Tomahawks and the French have sent in some planes to take out Libyan air defenses.Canada has also sent over 6 planes to help out.Times like this a nice precision guided laser beam from a satellite like you would see in a James Bond movie would come in handy to take the crazy guy out.
I still can't believe how much everything has escalated over there. At least the U.S. seems to be choosing their actions very carefully.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/19/...E72I2Z520110319
(Reuters) - A coalition of the United States and four other nations launched military action against Libya on Saturday, officials said, as the West tries to force Muammar Gaddafi from power.A U.S. official told reporters on condition of anonymity that a coalition including the United States, France, Britain, Canada and Italy had begun launching strikes on Libya designed to cripple Muammar Gaddafi's air defenses.At least some Arab nations are expected to join the coalition later, the official said.ARTICLE CONTINUED AT LINK ABOVE
http://www.reuters.com/news/video/story?vi...;videoChannel=1
I am very curious as to how this would be spun/covered/reacted to if a Republican President was in the White House.
Well, we would have invaded 11 days ago so it would have been way different all around.

How happy are the pro Obama/anti war (and already pissed off that we are still not yet out of Afghanistan/Iraq) folks regarding this development?Or is it OK now to engage in multi national supported military undertakings?

How happy are the pro Obama/anti war (and already pissed off that we are still not yet out of Afghanistan/Iraq) folks regarding this development?Or is it OK now to engage in multi national supported military undertakings?
It's better to have international support than not. I would have prefer to let someone else handle something for a change but it's not a huge deal to me as long as our involvement stays at this planned level or less. But I fear that won't happen, I agree in principle with the article Henry posted and any time Sarah Palin's ideas are put in action I get queasy.

yeah I mean come on, if we launched 5,000 ground forces then maybe we'd have an argument against obama here, but all we're doing is shooting off some bombs and letting our pilots get some action time. all this is is practice.

yeah I mean come on, if we launched 5,000 ground forces then maybe we'd have an argument against obama here, but all we're doing is shooting off some bombs and letting our pilots get some action time. all this is is practice.
It always escalates though doesn't it? That's my concern. If Obama really just does this and nothing else, I will be pleased and impressed.
It's better to have international support than not. I would have prefer to let someone else handle something for a change but it's not a huge deal to me as long as our involvement stays at this planned level or less. But I fear that won't happen, I agree in principle with the article Henry posted and any time Sarah Palin's ideas are put in action I get queasy.
Why?I don't care what anyone thinks.If its the right thing to do, then we do it.If its the wrong thing, then we shouldn'tGetting the other countries on board is nothing but smoke and mirrors.I don't care what any other country thinks of us, and they shouldn't care what I think of them.Besides, not one country can stop us from bombing Libya all we want. So lets let Obama pretend he is tough by dropping bombs from 30,000 feet and not care about the collateral damage, just like Clinton in Bosnia.
It always escalates though doesn't it? That's my concern. If Obama really just does this and nothing else, I will be pleased and impressed.
didn't escalate with clinton in iraq. well, until, you know...

I've said it before and I will say it again. I thank my lucky stars everytime there is a flareup like this in the world that we have the military might of our neighbors to the south to help us protect our country. Other countries ought to as well. Heart USA.

I've said it before and I will say it again. I thank my lucky stars everytime there is a flareup like this in the world that we have the military might of our neighbors to the south to help us protect our country. Other countries ought to as well. Heart USA.
Truer words never spoken. Unless I speak themAnd didn't we go through this whole: "Oh noes, the world hates us because of Bush, let's elect someone that they will approve of"What exactly did that do for the US?For the world's stability?For the price of oil?For the likelihood of fewer terrorist bombings?The rest of the world has serious USA-Envy, Especially the chicks. I say we flaunt it.
Why?I don't care what anyone thinks.If its the right thing to do, then we do it.If its the wrong thing, then we shouldn'tGetting the other countries on board is nothing but smoke and mirrors.I don't care what any other country thinks of us, and they shouldn't care what I think of them.
America, fuck yeah!
I am very curious as to how this would be spun/covered/reacted to if a Republican President was in the White House.
i've come to realize (for a while now) that when it comes to foreign policy, there is practically no difference between the repubs and libs..it's just a distraction argument, manifest destiny lives on.
Why?I don't care what anyone thinks.If its the right thing to do, then we do it.If its the wrong thing, then we shouldn'tGetting the other countries on board is nothing but smoke and mirrors.I don't care what any other country thinks of us, and they shouldn't care what I think of them.Besides, not one country can stop us from bombing Libya all we want. So lets let Obama pretend he is tough by dropping bombs from 30,000 feet and not care about the collateral damage, just like Clinton in Bosnia.
as usual, adolescent rantings. i guess the US is the be-all-end-all when it comes to determining 'right' in this world, eh?u r so pathetic.----yes, it is better w/ UN support. but the system of the UN is flawed. when actions like this can take place, yet israel can massacre over a thousand CIVILIANS over 34 days in lebanon, specifically target civilians and infrastructure, leave thousands of unexploded bombs so that many parts of lebanon cannot be inhabited (and the cluster bombs continue to kill civilians), it becomes obvious the system of world consensus is flawed.israel can target civilians, police stations and infrastructure (schools, hospitals, etc) in a sealed-off land under seige, massacre almost 1500 civilians in only 3 weeks, etc in gaza, it becomes even more clear that the UN cannot enforce justice. WHY? the veto, specifically the US veto in the middle east.i have not looked into why there's not a stronger UN presence in sub-saharan africa, but if ANYWHERE intervention was needed, on a purely right/wrong, humanitarian level, it is there. system again obviously flawed.remember, the libyan government declared a CEASEFIRE after the UN motion passed. i.e. it did what it was supposed to do! yet the west attacked. how people are so easily fooled on this point, i'll never know.
yes, it is better w/ UN support. but the system of the UN is flawed. when actions like this can take place, yet israel can massacre over a thousand CIVILIANS over 34 days in lebanon, specifically target civilians and infrastructure, leave thousands of unexploded bombs so that many parts of lebanon cannot be inhabited (and the cluster bombs continue to kill civilians), it becomes obvious the system of world consensus is flawed.israel can target civilians, police stations and infrastructure (schools, hospitals, etc) in a sealed-off land under seige, massacre almost 1500 civilians in only 3 weeks, etc in gaza, it becomes even more clear that the UN cannot enforce justice. WHY? the veto, specifically the US veto in the middle east.
if any of this was true, you might have a good argument that the UN has let the Palestinians down. Of course, it's all made-up nonsense propaganda from a group that deliberately hides weapons and terrorists near hospitals, schools, and civilians. Too bad.
if any of this was true, you might have a good argument that the UN has let the Palestinians down. Of course, it's all made-up nonsense propaganda from a group that deliberately hides weapons and terrorists near hospitals, schools, and civilians, and is then reported in AJ falsely because they are not a real news organization.
finished your post

I can't help but imagine a scenario similar to this:..."Mr. President...you are not being perceived well lately. You seem distracted with basketball, parties and golf and what not. Hell...you loaded up your plane with family members and powerful CEO's of corporations for a trip/vacation to Brazil while the whole world implodes around you. Your moronic PR folks decided that in the midst of all this you would appear in a clip that shows your apparent disregard by picking March madness brackets instead of smarter shots of say, you at 2 AM with your sleeves rolled up looking worried while gazing out the window of the Oval office with a phone at your ear. So how bout this...we orchestrate you having a big pair of balls and get Hillary to throw together a multi national coalition action against the madman no one wants. It's a perfect situation to take advantage of sir, sort of like Clinton when he bombed the milk factories during the Lewinsky fiasco. And it is a fight that most will look favorably upon, like the UK, France, Spain, but not Brazil (but that's ok). You will come out talking strong, and will reassure everyone that we had no choice, that Quaddafy had been defiant for too long, that we (you) are finally taking charge and leading. This is not nation building or meddling. We hated when Bush did it and we swore we would in no way do it either. We are only in it because it's the right thing to do, that it is to save lives of the little people, to instill democracy further, etc etc. And also that we are ONLY helping out from the back seat, a support role, donating only expertise and "unique assets". This will NOT be our fight alone...the UN will agree to this move. Never mind that fact that less than 24 hours after the bombing starts we will claim to fully be in charge of the command and operation of the whole mess.But not to worry sir...this should be an easy, relatively quick fight that will not involve one boot on the ground to finish. We will look very strong and you will be a hero and a bad ass. Your approval ratings will soar. Not unlike merely flicking a bee off your forearm sir. Until the madman calls your bluff and unleashes some sort of holy hell that we have not thought of. But, I mean...what could possibly go wrong, all wars go exactly as planned, yes?"...Praying for success and for the safety of the troops obviously but if this goes badly ...... oh boy.....

I can't help but imagine a scenario similar to this:..."Mr. President...you are not being perceived well lately. You seem distracted with basketball, parties and golf and what not. Hell...you loaded up your plane with family members and powerful CEO's of corporations for a trip/vacation to Brazil while the whole world implodes around you. Your moronic PR folks decided that in the midst of all this you would appear in a clip that shows your apparent disregard by picking March madness brackets instead of smarter shots of say, you at 2 AM with your sleeves rolled up looking worried while gazing out the window of the Oval office with a phone at your ear. So how bout this...we orchestrate you having a big pair of balls and get Hillary to throw together a multi national coalition action against the madman no one wants. It's a perfect situation to take advantage of sir, sort of like Clinton when he bombed the milk factories during the Lewinsky fiasco. And it is a fight that most will look favorably upon, like the UK, France, Spain, but not Brazil (but that's ok). You will come out talking strong, and will reassure everyone that we had no choice, that Quaddafy had been defiant for too long, that we (you) are finally taking charge and leading. This is not nation building or meddling. We hated when Bush did it and we swore we would in no way do it either. We are only in it because it's the right thing to do, that it is to save lives of the little people, to instill democracy further, etc etc. And also that we are ONLY helping out from the back seat, a support role, donating only expertise and "unique assets". This will NOT be our fight alone...the UN will agree to this move. Never mind that fact that less than 24 hours after the bombing starts we will claim to fully be in charge of the command and operation of the whole mess.But not to worry sir...this should be an easy, relatively quick fight that will not involve one boot on the ground to finish. We will look very strong and you will be a hero and a bad ass. Your approval ratings will soar. Not unlike merely flicking a bee off your forearm sir. Until the madman calls your bluff and unleashes some sort of holy hell that we have not thought of. But, I mean...what could possibly go wrong, all wars go exactly as planned, yes?"...Praying for success and for the safety of the troops obviously but if this goes badly ...... oh boy.....
lol I am sure this is how Glenn Beck is reporting it anyway.

Why are we involving ourselves in this again?Haven't we learned out lesson yet, that people like Gaddafi and Hussien (Saddam, not Barack) are the perfect leaders for these types of places? If I were running Libya or Iraq, I'd certainly treat those apes much worse than those two ever did. Gadaffi has been behaving himself lately- even got straight on his knees and started sucking our balls after 9/11, when he feared we were going to use that as a pretext to come in and remove him from this earth. Why now? Why do we give a shit about that place or those useless people?The only reason I would accept this campaign is if we go in and remove all the good antiquities from early human history for display in our own museums. Those are relevant to us because they show how we used to live, back when we were still down in the "North African" range on the evolutionary scale.