A-q, 13bb, Almost Full Table

Middle stages of STT, but still almost a full table. Usually at this blind level we're down to 5 or 6. Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, 2+0.25 Tournament, 50/100 Blinds (8 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comUTG (t4350)Hero (UTG+1) (t1337)MP1 (t1550)MP2 (t1170)CO (t1046)Button (t2030)SB (t1095)BB (t922)Hero's M: 8.91Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with Aclub.gif, Qheart.gif1 fold, Hero ???Too awkward to push here with 13BB and almost a full table of villains to get through? Would you opt for a standard raise and then play cautiously postflop?

Raise/call or ShoveI think shove is definitely the easiest to play and might be the most +EV but it's close. To stop some idiot flatting and making it hard postflop I just usually shove. If the CO/button/sb/bb have shown a propensity to shove a lot I might lean towards raise/call moreNever raise/fold with this stack.

Its A $2 tourney so this is an easy shove because many times they will call u with AJ A10 even Axs of course some times they will have AK QQKKAA or any pp but sooooomany times they`ll call u with a weaker A. At least Thats what I think :club:

Its A $2 tourney so this is an easy shove because many times they will call u with AJ A10 even Axs of course some times they will have AK QQKKAA or any pp but sooooomany times they`ll call u with a weaker A. At least Thats what I think :club:
I shove... need to make a move with so many people still hanging on at the moment

Flat call, shove or call over any raise. Well, that may be a little risky, but...You make a standard raise and get shoved on, what do you do? Or you make a standard raise, get flat called and miss the flop? Both are not happy scenarios. You can always fold, which is nitty, but it's a safe play because you're not desparate.

I think I'd actually minraise in this spot tbh. I don't do it often but I think this may be a spot for it. Or, I'd raise 250 at the most. And I'd probably get it in on a shove, barring any reads that tell me not to. I can't ever see raise folding here though.Nice chip count btw.

Possible but highly unlikely. 95% of the time when I get called here it will be by a hand I'm behind, most often a pp.
I think I'd actually minraise in this spot tbh. I don't do it often but I think this may be a spot for it. Or, I'd raise 250 at the most. And I'd probably get it in on a shove, barring any reads that tell me not to. I can't ever see raise folding here though.
The problem with minraising is that it just increases the chances of getting called, and I'd like to avoid playing postflop if I can. Say I raise to 250 and get a caller. The pot is now 650 and I have less than 1100 behind. Assuming I miss the flop, what then? Put another 25% of my remaining stack in on a CB with a missed hand?

An entire STT nitting it up until everyone's short seems to be all the rage online these days.At 13BB... unless minraises actually get respect, shove or fold until you double up or bust.

An entire STT nitting it up until everyone's short seems to be all the rage online these days.At 13BB... unless minraises actually get respect, shove or fold until you double up or bust.
I've noticed both extremes lately. The game either progresses very slowly, like this one, or we'll end up in the money at blinds of 50/100.

I typically put in a 3x raise here, but shoving is never wrong either. If someone comes over the top, I'm shipping it in. And if someone calls PF, I'm shoving the flop. I can't see a situation where I'd fold.

So here's a follow-up question. If we're willing to get it in here regardless, which is the better move: raise and call a push, or just shove? The advantage of the standard raise is that you might entice someone to resteal with a hand they wouldn't call a shove with, in which case you get your money in against a wider range than if you just open-shoved. You also have a chance to steal the blinds without risking your stack. However, the drawback of the standard raise is the potential that you'll just get called and have to play postflop. I suppose it depends in part on how the table has been playing. At a tight-passive table, you might be able to get away with the standard raise. Loose-passive, go for the shove. Aggressive table, entice the resteal with the standard raise.

So here's a follow-up question. If we're willing to get it in here regardless, which is the better move: raise and call a push, or just shove? The advantage of the standard raise is that you might entice someone to resteal with a hand they wouldn't call a shove with, in which case you get your money in against a wider range than if you just open-shoved. You also have a chance to steal the blinds without risking your stack. However, the drawback of the standard raise is the potential that you'll just get called and have to play postflop. I suppose it depends in part on how the table has been playing. At a tight-passive table, you might be able to get away with the standard raise. Loose-passive, go for the shove. Aggressive table, entice the resteal with the standard raise.
At the lower levels I would much rather ship it in PF. If you make a standard raise you'll probably get a call and if you whiff and then CB and get called you're more than likely out. I mean, either way no matter the flop if I were to raise my chips would go in. But I would much rather shove at a full table.
Raise/call or ShoveI think shove is definitely the easiest to play and might be the most +EV but it's close. To stop some idiot flatting and making it hard postflop I just usually shove. If the CO/button/sb/bb have shown a propensity to shove a lot I might lean towards raise/call moreNever raise/fold with this stack.
these two posts hit the nail on the head....def shipple
Good ideas, but under 20BB, I generally just shove here. With a standard raise, we more than likely see callers who then try to steal the pot postflop, putting us to a relatively tough decision when the flop misses us, rather than overshovers.
  • 2 weeks later...