Daniel- A Tell (sorta) I See On Hsp

Daniel,What's up, I played with you in Costa Rica at the Bodog event a few months ago and you couldn't have been a cooler guy- alright, enough jock sniffin...but I remember you saying a while back that you picked up a "blinking" tell of yours in season 1 of HSP. This season- a buddy of mine and I were discussing how you have checked in the dark a few times but only when you have a weak hand and feel you are behind pre-flop. Why would you give that info away by checking in the dark? Your reasons for doing are probably over my head but that seems like something I have noticed this season. Thanks.bret

nice response, but to answer your question I have played a hand or two- but probably not as many as you
um, did you see who i was quoting? thanks for the answer anyways. always nice to get some fan mail.
no no, he checked dark from the cutoff. haven't you played poker before?
Must've read it wrong, I thought the scenario was DN checking before the flop, but knowing what cards he had.
Must've read it wrong, I thought the scenario was DN checking before the flop, but knowing what cards he had.
naw i was just joshin ya. i need to put the (sw) to better use i guess.

generally checking in the dark would imply he looked at his hand, and is in early position/first to act and checks before the flop or turn or river is turned over.So in this case he checked the flop in the dark thus giving away that he has a weak hand.That's all.Good point but I would think most checks in the dark kind of imply that.However if you hit the flop large the check in the dark just set a very nice trap.Especially against an aggessive player.

generally checking in the dark would imply he looked at his hand, and is in early position/first to act and checks before the flop or turn or river is turned over.So in this case he checked the flop in the dark thus giving away that he has a weak hand.That's all.Good point but I would think most checks in the dark kind of imply that.However if you hit the flop large the check in the dark just set a very nice trap.Especially against an aggessive player.
It can go either way, I like to check in the dark with a strong hand as it almost forces ur opponent to bet regardless of their holding, otherwise they are effectively giving u the pot on the turn. With a strong hand u are able to either CR the flop or bet the turn with it looking like an obvious bluff. Just my $0.02
It can go either way, I like to check in the dark with a strong hand as it almost forces ur opponent to bet regardless of their holding, otherwise they are effectively giving u the pot on the turn. With a strong hand u are able to either CR the flop or bet the turn with it looking like an obvious bluff. Just my $0.02
True true. Why I said "kind of" because it could go either way. But when they see the shell on the turn or RR on the flop it slows em down or draws serious flags.But at those stakes, playing with those players I would think they could see through those plays.What do you think?The check blind pre flop then a CR or huge shell on the turn play work with top pros?I woudn't think so. Maybe it depends which pro and who does the move.Mike the mouth does it and I'm IN THERE! What if Todd made it???? Tough call.

ok, I don't play as high as Daniel, but I will try to explain the check in the dark thing. It is used to not let your opponent get a read on your hand when you are out of position. In a decent game with resonable players the preflop raiser will raise after the flop about 60% of the time if it is checked to him on the flop. By checking in the dark DN is inviting the player in position to act first, trying to steal late position. If the villian checks behind. Daniel has info, and the villian has no info on Daniel. If he bets, Daniel can now evaulate hip hand with more info.This play works best against aggressive players. It can work with any starting hands, with a monster you are hoping your opponent has a good enough hand to continue. With weak holdings, you may get a free card to draw longer. Daniel has countered this move in the past by betting in the dark. I like that a lot becuase it again gives no info but puts your opponent to a decision.

It is used to not let your opponent get a read on your hand when you are out of position. In a decent game with resonable players the preflop raiser will raise after the flop about 60% of the time if it is checked to him on the flop. By checking in the dark DN is inviting the player in position to act first, trying to steal late position. If the villian checks behind. Daniel has info, and the villian has no info on Daniel. If he bets, Daniel can now evaulate hip hand with more info.I'm not sure you would have more info by checking in the dark here. If your opponent bet the flop you may still not know where you are since as you mentioned more often than not he will do so. However by you not checking in the dark, and seeing the flop and then firing now you have put your opponent in a difficult spot, even if he is an aggressive player. He may slow down the rest of the way fearing a check raise. I'm not sure you would draw any longer with the check in the dark. I think their could be an argument for both.Again the question though, do top players see through this play.I'm thinking they don't even consider the fact that you checked dark and play their the same way.

Damn, I bet the Big gamers were pissed at the guy who told daniel about the blinking tell! I know I would be...
If some amateur can pick up on such an easy tell, what on earth makes you think that the "Big Gamers" haven't picked up on and exploited this tell? For you to assume that they learned of that tell here is simply ludacris.Good luck.

For you to assume that they learned of that tell here is simply ludacris.No they didn't say that but by pointing it out to DN and him recognize it and stop doing it may be a -EV to them.

It is used to not let your opponent get a read on your hand when you are out of position. In a decent game with resonable players the preflop raiser will raise after the flop about 60% of the time if it is checked to him on the flop. By checking in the dark DN is inviting the player in position to act first, trying to steal late position. If the villian checks behind. Daniel has info, and the villian has no info on Daniel. If he bets, Daniel can now evaulate hip hand with more info.I'm not sure you would have more info by checking in the dark here. If your opponent bet the flop you may still not know where you are since as you mentioned more often than not he will do so. However by you not checking in the dark, and seeing the flop and then firing now you have put your opponent in a difficult spot, even if he is an aggressive player. He may slow down the rest of the way fearing a check raise. I'm not sure you would draw any longer with the check in the dark. I think their could be an argument for both.Again the question though, do top players see through this play.I'm thinking they don't even consider the fact that you checked dark and play their the same way.
Heads up and I call a raise out of position. If I check in the dark and then the original raiser checks- I'm not sure if gives any info. Is he a weak player and doesn't bet to take it down? Is he trapping because he flopped a monster? Now it's back to me after the turn and I bet. He flats calls? Now what? Tough to know exactly where you're at. I guess that's where the top pros reading ability comes in play.What a great game
ok, I don't play as high as Daniel, but I will try to explain the check in the dark thing. It is used to not let your opponent get a read on your hand when you are out of position. In a decent game with resonable players the preflop raiser will raise after the flop about 60% of the time if it is checked to him on the flop. By checking in the dark DN is inviting the player in position to act first, trying to steal late position. If the villian checks behind. Daniel has info, and the villian has no info on Daniel. If he bets, Daniel can now evaulate hip hand with more info.This play works best against aggressive players. It can work with any starting hands, with a monster you are hoping your opponent has a good enough hand to continue. With weak holdings, you may get a free card to draw longer. Daniel has countered this move in the past by betting in the dark. I like that a lot becuase it again gives no info but puts your opponent to a decision.
Great explanation man...that really gave me some ammo for the next time I'm at the poker table...no SW intended either