Hey guys. I know this is in the wrong forum, but if I can get a few answers to some questions first before you move it, that would be great! Well, for whatever reason, I entered a $5 HORSE MTT on FTP. All I knew beforehand was Hold 'em and Omaha regular, have figured out razz, and kinda get Stud. Here are my main questions.1. How does the Lo work in these games? I notice you can't just have low cards. Do you need a certain good hand with your low hand? 2. Any help on the E part of HORSE would be great. :)3. If you are bored and want to tell me if I suck, did good on a play, etc., it is tourney ID #15979039.Thanks! And please move after I get a few answers!

For like Omaha Hi/Lo the low cards have to be below 8. Three cards below 8, 2 in your pocket, for a Lo hand to be created. Otherwise the pot goes all to the hi hand. EX: BOARD: AK4-J-5 Hi and Lo pot because there's 3 cards on the board from A-8. A great hand to have would be XX-3-2 for your cards because you'd have what they refer to a lot in Hi/Lo games as a the "Bottom Wheel" A-2-3-4-5 for a Lo and a Hi hand. Obviously someone could have Q-10 for a better Hi hand, things you gotta watch out for.The E stands for "Eight or Better", another name for Seven Card Stud Hi/Lo.

for the E part, play more baby connectors esp if suited. also, pay a lot of attention to what game you are currently playing. that will def save you chips. as low hands go, the best hand is a2345, followed by a2346, etc. remember that 23567 beats a2348, because the lowest high card of your low hand overall is the winner. that last sentence takes a little thinking to understand, hopefully that helped.

for the E part, play more baby connectors esp if suited. also, pay a lot of attention to what game you are currently playing. that will def save you chips. as low hands go, the best hand is a2345, followed by a2346, etc. remember that 23567 beats a2348, because the lowest high card of your low hand overall is the winner. that last sentence takes a little thinking to understand, hopefully that helped.
I think "highest low card" is more correct than "lowest high card" ;-). In the cases of ties, you keep looking at the next highest card.e.g. .................K 8 7 6 3 2 A vs. Q Q 7 5 4 3 2low hands:.....7 6 3 2 A.....vs.....7 5 4 3 2highest card:.......7.........................7next highest:.......6.........................5Thus, Q Q 7 5 4 3 2 has a better low handAlso, duplicate cards don't count. AAAA222 doesn't mean you have a better low than 56789TJ, the former doesn't even qualify. You need 5 different cards 8 or lower to qualify for a low hand.

neither of your lows count there.Make sure for 8 or better games you have five cards 8 or lower or you won't qualify for a low. So if you're looking at an omaha board and there aren't three cards 8 or lower you don't have to worry about a split pot.For razz of course it's just 5 lowest. GL, how you doing in the tourney?

razz: no qualifier for low--everyone who shows down compares hands, and whoever can make the worst hand (str8s and flushes don't count) wins in razz. that's the simple way of thinking about it. so a2345 is the best hand, and a234K loses to 8910JQ. o8 and stud8 (O and E :club: ): there is a qualifier for the low half of the pot--you need to be able to make five cards to an 8 to be eligible for the low half, but str8s and flushes still don't count. in these 2-way games, though, it's best to start with low hands that make straights (for o8, stick to wheel--a2345--cards as you learn the game; for stud8, the strongest hands are like 4s5s6s to start--they make strong low hands and can make straights or flushes for the high fairly often--as you learn the game, stick to any three cards <8 on 3rd) so that you have a decent chance of scooping whole pots instead of chopping. as you get better, you can veer from that a bit, but tight is right as you're learning.good luck!

I think "highest low card" is more correct than "lowest high card" ;-). In the cases of ties, you keep looking at the next highest card.e.g. .................K 8 7 6 3 2 A vs. Q Q 7 5 4 3 2low hands:.....7 6 3 2 A.....vs.....7 5 4 3 2highest card:.......7.........................7next highest:.......6.........................5Thus, Q Q 7 5 4 3 2 has a better low handAlso, duplicate cards don't count. AAAA222 doesn't mean you have a better low than 56789TJ, the former doesn't even qualify. You need 5 different cards 8 or lower to qualify for a low hand.
rofl, that is what i wrote originally, then changed it, then pondered, then said f this. you said what i meant perfectly.

The low is clear from above post.Stud 8 is my worst game, but while you are learning and folding alot, try to put people on hands, are they going high or low. Remember that someone going low isn't for sure going to get there, so a high hand can scoop the whole pot. But don't get in the habit of playing for half a pot. Putting people on high or low hands helps you to know when you can jam a pot, for instance, if two opponants are going high, and you have made low, raise every chance you get to get more in the pot, Like razz you can know when you have a board lock, the best possible low so you can also do this when you suspect someone else going high.Super System II has a good Stud8 section by Todd Brunson.O8 is simliar, but make sure you don't chase lows without the nut low draw, and a back up. A23 allows you to make the nuts 3 different ways. A2 only one way.HORSE is my new favorite game, while you're learning come sit with me at the $1/$2 game on fulltilt

2. Any help on the E part of HORSE would be great. :club:
High hands have little value in Stud8. Basically you only want to play hands w/ scoop value (both high and low). Ex. in stud you'd come out raising w/ a hand like QQK, but in stud8 it's a kind of worthless hand b/c you're only playing for half the pot, and you're allowing the guy w/ the low to freeroll to beat you w/ his straight or flush draw. Also, there's no shame in sitting back and playing tighter in the games you're less familar w/, and ramping it up in the ones you're better at. I play Hold 'em, Razz and Stud8 a whole lot faster than Stud.
So how'd it go Pilly? Just curious how someone who had no idea how to play some of the games managed to do in a HORSE tourney ...
From my many frightening experiences in $5 HORSE tourneys, I'm guessing he took 1st... maybe second. :club:

Well I don't play stud or Razz but have played in a few low $$ HORSE tourneys for fun. I think in the $5 tourneys there must be a lot of beginners as I managed to money in one of them on FT and I only basically played the Hold-em portion of the tourney.But on this idea of learning the other games, other than NLH is Super System the best starting point or is there a better book to get acquainted with the other games of poker?

Be careful of having your draws counterfeited in Omaha h/l. For example, board is 378, you have A289 so you have the low, but then an ace comes on the turn and somebody with 42 or even something like 65 would have your low beat, since everybody now has the ace.

Sorry about not coming back on here and giving the results. Got about halfway through the field of 95ish players. Had a blast though. So much fun when a game switches. I will probably play again tomorrow night or soon. Was a great way to break from NLHE. And Balloon Guy, I would love to join you at the $1/2 HORSE table. Just feel free to send about $200 so I can recover from my losses there and I will be on that table ASAP.