6047 replies to this topic

#6041 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 06:57 AM

Blade runner (final cut)

I watched this a couple of times about 15 years ago, I really did not enjoy it. I don't know which version I watched originally, probably the director's cut. It is a movie I have been meaning to re-watch for awhile now. My wife and I decided we were going to watch the new one this weekend, and she hadn't seen the original yet, so we watched it the other night.

I was only like 18 or something the last time I watched this movie, so I figured I might enjoy it more as an adult. It is, after all, widely considered one of the best sci-fi movies of all time. I went in with an open mind, really expecting to like the movie this time, but alas, no.

It is a beautifully shot movie, more than I remembered, I expect this latest version got some re-mastering. But Jesus, this movie kinda sucks. The acting is bad. The dialogue is bad. The character development is painfully bad. There's a scene when Rachel goes to Deckard's apartment. She tells Deckard she is not a replicant, he tells her she is, in fact, a replicant. She gets sad. He feels bad. BOOM, character development. Deckard is now pro-replicant for the rest of the movie and he is in love with Rachel now too. The script just kind of jumps from scene to scene. Things aren't really explained at all. I don't expect to completely have my hand held by a script, but a little bit of direction would be nice.

I know a ton of people love this movie. I don't think I've ever had such a huge disconnect from the public and critical perception of a movie. I'm watching 2049 tonight.

#6042 SuitedAces21

SuitedAces21

once and future king

• Members
  • 25,110 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 08:29 AM

i do think it is overrated, but i enjoy it. i too will watch 2049 sometime this weekend.

View PostRon_Mexico, on 23 April 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

Now that i've had a few drinks, I'm ready to admilt that the reason I dont post more is suited.

I hate every fiber of his being. He's awful and everything he writes is wrong, coupled with being annoying. Its uncanny how awful he is. If he was around when this thread was thriving, he would have killed it. Thankfully, he wasnt.

Maybe in the real world, he's not so awful (evidence says otherwise) but here, he makes me want to fight. Nobody makes me want to fight. Its beyond weird. I almost feel bad, but I dont

#6043 brvheart

brvheart

I'm the best.

• Members
  • 25,526 posts
  • Interests:Playing in nuclear fallout.
  • Favorite Poker Game:I play 100/200 live with my best friend Jason.

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:15 PM

It's not nearly as good as a movie like Ex Machina, but Ex Machina was handcuffed by being basically on one set. That's a movie that needs to be a trilogy or something, with a hero instead of a super-nerd as protagonist.

View PostiZuma, on 20 August 2012 - 11:32 AM, said:

napa I was jesus christing suited, you guys just slipped in before me.

View PostEssay21, on 25 February 2013 - 08:32 PM, said:

#6044 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,854 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 01:31 PM

Ex Machina was perfect. The machine was the hero.
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

#6045 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 01:36 PM

Ex machina is great

#6046 Dubey

Dubey

Poker Forum God

• Members
  • 11,201 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 07:24 AM

Blade runner 2049

I thought this was awesome. Much better execution of an interesting concept. Absolutely gorgeous movie. Wish I could have seen it in theatres.

Wonder

Shameless crowd pleaser, but pretty well done. Good characters and all around enjoyable, but forgettable. Was a nice change of pace after the grimness of back to back Blade Runners.

#6047 SuitedAces21

SuitedAces21

once and future king

• Members
  • 25,110 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:37 AM

BAYWATCH

man it was bad. they wouldn't even let zac be zac. terrible effort by everyone involved.

View PostRon_Mexico, on 23 April 2014 - 04:48 PM, said:

Now that i've had a few drinks, I'm ready to admilt that the reason I dont post more is suited.

I hate every fiber of his being. He's awful and everything he writes is wrong, coupled with being annoying. Its uncanny how awful he is. If he was around when this thread was thriving, he would have killed it. Thankfully, he wasnt.

Maybe in the real world, he's not so awful (evidence says otherwise) but here, he makes me want to fight. Nobody makes me want to fight. Its beyond weird. I almost feel bad, but I dont

#6048 BigDMcGee

BigDMcGee

Forum Entitlist

• Members
  • 26,854 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 09:58 AM

View PostDubey, on 14 May 2018 - 07:24 AM, said:

Blade runner 2049

I thought this was awesome. Much better execution of an interesting concept. Absolutely gorgeous movie. Wish I could have seen it in theatres.

I'm really glad i did. IT was beautiful
"We are only wise in knowing that we know nothing"
-Socrates

"Dust. Wind. Dude."
-Ted Theodore Logan

"I'm a basketball player and a businessman, not a Thundercat,"
-Lebron James

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users