Life In Outerspace

Eh, it's pretty exciting. Though it is unlikely that there actually is life on one of the outer planet's moons, the fact that there is water at all suggests that many more planets in the galaxy may be able to sustain life than we once thought. Most scientists believe that liquid water is the catalyst for the emergence of life, so finding an abundance of water so close to earth is very promising life existing elsewhere in the galaxy. What are your opinions? Do you guys think that there is life elsewhere in the universe? It could make for an interesting discussion.

What are your opinions? Do you guys think that there is life elsewhere in the universe? It could make for an interesting discussion.
By the sheer numbers of it, I don't see how there couldn't be.Bet they think we're a bunch of morons, though.

How could there NOT be life elsewhere in the universe? Considering our galaxy is similar to a grain of sand on the beach that is the universe, there are likely hundreds of thousands if not millions of similar worlds that can sustain intelligent life. In Time Magazine a few years ago, a well known astronomer (can't remember his name) proposed a formula to determine how many similar worlds could exist. I wish I could find a link... but bottom line is he considered about 15 different factors that would play a role in the likelihood of their existence, including distance from a star that would create a similar environment to that of Earth's etc. Of course none of this has yet been proven, but its a solid theory that I happen to buy into.Not to mention I was abducted by aliens when I was 12.

What i never understood was, why is it that water has to be the basis for all life? Just because it is the basis for our carbon based life forms, does not mean that elsewhere in the universe there is not another viable basis for life. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

What i never understood was, why is it that water has to be the basis for all life? Just because it is the basis for our carbon based life forms, does not mean that elsewhere in the universe there is not another viable basis for life. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Life as we know it....
Ive always wondered this too. I mean, life as we know it is one thing, but whats to say that there aren't completely different forms of life out there. I mean, I don't know jack about science, and probably never will, but I've always wondered why we figured that life has to be sustainable only by our standards.I've also wondered sometimes if there were other worlds out there with completely different compositoins of stuff. You, like metals and gases and stuff like that that we don't even know about. But like I said, I don't know much at all about science, so I probably sound like a moron's idiot little brother on this topic, so oh well.
Ive always wondered this too. I mean, life as we know it is one thing, but whats to say that there aren't completely different forms of life out there. I mean, I don't know jack about science, and probably never will, but I've always wondered why we figured that life has to be sustainable only by our standards.I've also wondered sometimes if there were other worlds out there with completely different compositoins of stuff. You, like metals and gases and stuff like that that we don't even know about. But like I said, I don't know much at all about science, so I probably sound like a moron's idiot little brother on this topic, so oh well.
Well, noone's saying that there isn't life somewhere that is sustainable by some other means, or even that there aren't life forms that we can't even begin to fathom, sustainable by materials that our little mortal, earthbound minds can't even begin to fathom either. However, in the quest to find life that is similar to ourselves, finding water or other carbon based substances within our own solar system can unlock many doors and answer some questions that have long been pondered over.
Well, noone's saying that there isn't life somewhere that is sustainable by some other means, or even that there aren't life forms that we can't even begin to fathom, sustainable by materials that our little mortal, earthbound minds can't even begin to fathom either. However, in the quest to find life that is similar to ourselves, finding water or other carbon based substances within our own solar system can unlock many doors and answer some questions that have long been pondered over.
Yeah I know. I was just throwing out my little "thoughts right before you go to sleep" musings. You know, like what if dog was spelled c a t.
What are your opinions? Do you guys think that there is life elsewhere in the universe? It could make for an interesting discussion.
most likely, there is just too much stuff out there we don't know about and will never know about. But I doubt they only come to Earth to probe trailer park people.

From chemistry we basically know what elements are possible because of the periodic table. The other elements left to be discovered are extremely radioactive and unstable and tend to have existences of hundredths of a second. Water is an extremely stable molecule, and all life that we know of needs it to survive (including bacteria and viruses). There is no requirement that life NEEDS water, but there are a limited number of very stable molecules that life would need. If life were made of radioactive elements they would be in a constant state of decay.

From chemistry we basically know what elements are possible because of the periodic table. The other elements left to be discovered are extremely radioactive and unstable and tend to have existences of hundredths of a second. Water is an extremely stable molecule, and all life that we know of needs it to survive (including bacteria and viruses). There is no requirement that life NEEDS water, but there are a limited number of very stable molecules that life would need. If life were made of radioactive elements they would be in a constant state of decay.
Are you saying, then, that there can't be any other elements out there that aren't radioactive because of our periodic table?Cause I'm not talking about other elements yet to be discovered on Earth. I'm pretty sure we got those down pat. I'm just saying that it seems to me there could be other ones in distant places that we have no knowledge of. Now if there is a scientifically proven reason why there can't be, I don't know it. Of course, like I said, my knowledge of science goes to about the third grade level.
Are you saying, then, that there can't be any other elements out there that aren't radioactive because of our periodic table?Cause I'm not talking about other elements yet to be discovered on Earth. I'm pretty sure we got those down pat. I'm just saying that it seems to me there could be other ones in distant places that we have no knowledge of. Now if there is a scientifically proven reason why there can't be, I don't know it. Of course, like I said, my knowledge of science goes to about the third grade level.
So, elements are defined by integer multiple amounts of protons contained in the nucleus. For instance, if an atom has 6 protons, it is carbon by definition. Now, among these elements, there are isotopes and ions, depending on the number of neutrons and electrons. The point is that there aren't any hidden elements that we're missing, because an atom can't have something like 2.5 protons in its nucleus. Atoms with over 100 protons in the nucleus we have found are unstable. So, even on the far corners of the universe, they still work with the same elements that we do.

oh ok. I'll take that because I hate thinking about elements and molecules. My chemistry teachers were all terrible people, guess thats the main reason I hate it now.thanks for the explanation

In addition to water, the abundance of carbon on our planet has been one of the major factors leading to life.This is largely because of its ability for form chains, which is necessary for large organic molecules (proteins, nucleic acids). Its four valence electrons give it this ability.It has been hypothesized that silicon could be the base for another form of life because of it's four valence electrons.Life as we know it would probably have to be formed form either of these two elements.Something from another element however...your guess is as good as anyones.
So, elements are defined by integer multiple amounts of protons contained in the nucleus. For instance, if an atom has 6 protons, it is carbon by definition. Now, among these elements, there are isotopes and ions, depending on the number of neutrons and electrons. The point is that there aren't any hidden elements that we're missing, because an atom can't have something like 2.5 protons in its nucleus. Atoms with over 100 protons in the nucleus we have found are unstable. So, even on the far corners of the universe, they still work with the same elements that we do.
While we're speculating here, first I agree with everything you've said. Could it be possible that there are other subatomic particles that we haven't discovered that could contribute to the formation of other elements? I do have a basic understanding of chemistry, but it's just a basic understanding.

"mars aint the kind of place to raise a kid. in fact, its cold as hell, and even if you did, there would be no on there to raise it."who knows what song thats from? id be impressed.anyway i thought it related to the questions in this thread

"mars aint the kind of place to raise a kid. in fact, its cold as hell, and even if you did, there would be no on there to raise it."who knows what song thats from? id be impressed.anyway i thought it related to the questions in this thread
Rocket Man?