1. 1. As the big stack

• AKs
    • JJ
    • Fold
  2. 2. As the small stack

• AKs
    • JJ
    • Fold

Before I go any further please note that this is a situation that is likely to come up at some time or another. If the mods feel that this needs to be moved to strategy, that's fine. The Scene:MTT with 300 players, 30 get paid. There are 35 players left and the stakes are 600/1200 with a 125 ante. You have just moved to the table, no reads.The Cast:Button - stack size is 23100, M of 12SB - stack size of 19250, M of 10BB (you) - stack size of 40000, M of about 21The Story:It's folded around to the button who raises to 4000, the SB just calls. Which of the following hands would you be more inclined to make a squeeze play with and push all in, JJ or AKs? Would your answer change if you were the one with an M of 12 or 10? Notice the only options are pick a hand to push with or fold. That's only because the topic is in regards to squeeze plays.

if you don't shovel both AK and JJ, you're not very good at poker. barring reads, of course. :)that said, i'd be happier about shoving AK than JJ with the cold call.

if you don't shovel both AK and JJ, you're not very good at poker. barring reads, of course. :)that said, i'd be happier about shoving AK than JJ with the cold call.
Only difference being AK has a shot over QQ and KK, if SB has AA, then well, yeah.
Yeah I just put the fold option there for the people that wouldn't want to risk a healthy stack at this stage.

Isn't the whole idea of a squeeze play to do do it with a marginal hand? When you have a real hand you are betting for value...its not really a "play".A squeeze play is when say UTG+2 opens for 3x the bb and he is called by one person, and you sit in the CO with J9s or something like that and you repop it. Unless one of them has a real monster they pretty much have to fold. You dont run a sqeeze with a real hand because you're not getting full value. Of course you have to have the right read on who you're doing it to.

I agree that it's not really a squeeze if you have a big hand like AK or JJ. From what I understand, a squeeze is done when you want and expect both players to fold, so your cards aren't terribly important.

Isn't the whole idea of a squeeze play to do do it with a marginal hand? When you have a real hand you are betting for value...its not really a "play".A squeeze play is when say UTG+2 opens for 3x the bb and he is called by one person, and you sit in the CO with J9s or something like that and you repop it. Unless one of them has a real monster they pretty much have to fold. You dont run a sqeeze with a real hand because you're not getting full value. Of course you have to have the right read on who you're doing it to.
That was my take on it from HOH. I think a repop with AK or JJ would be normal play, not a true squeeze play, since in the situation you described, you are extremely likely to have the best hand PF.But yeah I would like to have AK sooted regardless of what you call that scenario........
I agree that it's not really a squeeze if you have a big hand like AK or JJ. From what I understand, a squeeze is done when you want and expect both players to fold, so your cards aren't terribly important.
yes. squeeze can/will be a bluff. this thread is mostly worthless.
yes. squeeze can/will be a bluff. this thread is mostly worthless.
Once again, my definition of a poker term is wrong. Now that I admit it, this thread is worth something as I still think this is an important question. Especially as the big stack, because you are risking about half your stack. For me, I would rather push with the AKs.

Either way, I hate playing AK oop. I would push pre with AK. I might call with a pair, if it's a baby flop, you might win a big pot.Calling with AK in position isn't so bad.Plus, I squeeze or sandwich play is usually when you know for sure you have the worst hand preflop.

alright just had a noob question about this...i was wondering whether you should just put your whole stack in the middle in a tourney situation.....just speaking in generallets say you try and pull off a squeeze with a hand like 64o and put in about 1/2 of your chips....then the original raiser puts you all insince you know your hand is so utterly dominated, is it correct to get away from the hand or are you too priced in to call?

alright just had a noob question about this...i was wondering whether you should just put your whole stack in the middle in a tourney situation.....just speaking in generallets say you try and pull off a squeeze with a hand like 64o and put in about 1/2 of your chips....then the original raiser puts you all insince you know your hand is so utterly dominated, is it correct to get away from the hand or are you too priced in to call?
Good question. IMO you are priced in for the call. Your getting better than 3-1 if you stick half your stack in. This is something to watch for as well when your opponents put half their stack in a pot, you have to consider they are commiting their whole stack, so if your calling their bet then basically your calling their all in. As for squeeze plays, I try not to squeeze with less than 15x the BB because your opponent is priced in alot of the time. When considering a squeeze you should do it with a small connector, suited or not, rather than a hand like KT. Connectors do better against villains calling range. I made a huge mistake in the WCOOP main event with a squeeze where I should have shoved but instead reraised and c-bet most of my stack and then had to fold. Definately cost me a cash and maybe strassers bankroll. :club:
Once again, my definition of a poker term is wrong. Now that I admit it, this thread is worth something as I still think this is an important question. Especially as the big stack, because you are risking about half your stack. For me, I would rather push with the AKs.
I'd rather AKs, too.
yeah, this would be an example of the good ol' pseudo-squeeze play. making the big raise hoping that the button thinks you're making a squeeze play when really you're not.I especially like making the pseudo-squeeze play with AA but sometimes I tighten up and just fold them. You don't want to overuse this 4th level thinking play too often.