Was I Really An Idiot Here? $3r 180

Guy just got moved to the table. Folded his first hand, shoved his second hand and everyone folded. This was his third hand. My thinking was he was shoving ATC since he only had 5 BB. I was getting 2:1 if I could get him isolated here, and at the time there was about 45 or so people left. I really only had about ~12 effective BBs, so Is this an unavoidable shove, or too loose with 55? I made an isolation shove since my stack was big enough to only get premiums to call. Did he just type this in on the wrong table? I did not check that at the time to see if he was playing multi-tables. I made my point about him shoving ATC with 5bb, and got no response. I feel like this was close or standard. Thoughts??feral_cow_icon.gifFeral Cow PokerPokerStars No-Limit Hold'em ($3.00+$0.30) t800/t1600 ante t150 - 9 playersUTG+1 TheSchomberG: t22,250 MP dirtyburgrat: t8,300 MP2 333Raúl777: t8,816 HJ Hero: t19,763 CO Philipdm: t7,005 Button yankee1869: t17,195 SB catchNrlease: t14,626 BB Amiralsanji: t29,570 UTG PollyLily: t21,365 Preflop: (t3,750) Hero is HJ with :3h:4h (9 players)3 folds, 333Raúl777 raises to t8666 and is all-in, Hero raises to t19613 and is all-in, 4 folds333Raúl777 said, "nice hand really vnh, idiots on this site"Flop: (t21,082) :ts:D:jh (2 players)Turn: (t21,082) :D (2 players)River: (t21,082) :D (2 players)333Raúl777 showed :D:club:, and won (21082) with two pair, Aces and JacksHero showed :qh:5c, and lost with two pair, Aces and Fives333Raúl777 won t21082

not how I would have played it but not incorrect either. I understand the play was to isolate and hopefully be up against a draw which makes it the right play even though your read was off. I however like the fold in that situation for a number of reasons. It is late in a tourney when I like to play tight and climb by getting my chips in as a big favorite. This situation has you at best against an A2,3 or 4 but more likely 2 overcards or larger pair. Either way I don't like risking such a large portion of my stack against a probable coin flip. As you said this person had just sat down at the table meaning you couldn't have had a very good read on how he was playing so his shove could mean a lot of different things. I wait and see what he does on following hands to see if he is playing overly aggressive or not and than hope to beat him later on. So that is my reasoning but I can't argue against the way you played either given your assessment of the situation and what you were trying to accomplish.

not how I would have played it but not incorrect either. I understand the play was to isolate and hopefully be up against a draw which makes it the right play even though your read was off. I however like the fold in that situation for a number of reasons. It is late in a tourney when I like to play tight and climb by getting my chips in as a big favorite. This situation has you at best against an A2,3 or 4 but more likely 2 overcards or larger pair. Either way I don't like risking such a large portion of my stack against a probable coin flip. As you said this person had just sat down at the table meaning you couldn't have had a very good read on how he was playing so his shove could mean a lot of different things. I wait and see what he does on following hands to see if he is playing overly aggressive or not and than hope to beat him later on. So that is my reasoning but I can't argue against the way you played either given your assessment of the situation and what you were trying to accomplish.
We're ahead of his range here, so passing up small edges is probably not the smartest thing to do in a turbo 180. Even though we aren't crushing his range, we are def ahead of it because he should be shoving close to 35-40% with about 5bb.34d8-roF8MKxUGOTvy6i.png

very very close. depends on your reads. you ran into a very strong part of his range here

lol.
Excellent strategy with 12BBs!Once you FINALLY get it in as a big favorite and hopefully win, what do you do with your 4BBs now? Keep to your strategy or go super-aggro with your newly found chips???
It is late in a tourney when I like to play tight and climb by getting my chips in as a big favorite.
this is something i exploit hardcore late in MTT sngs going ape shit min opening everything reasonable, and it usually makes me go from middle of the pack with 15 left to 2-4th on the FT. this is something fish think about and becomes a huge thing we can exploit. attacking ladders makes $$$$ in micro mtts
this is something i exploit hardcore late in MTT sngs going ape shit min opening everything reasonable, and it usually makes me go from middle of the pack with 15 left to 2-4th on the FT. this is something fish think about and becomes a huge thing we can exploit. attacking ladders makes $$$$ in micro mtts
This is something I have been trying to work on in smaller 18-45 mans. If I get too loose I don't waste 1-2 hours going deep. Been effective so far at Full Tilt, unless you run across other players that do the same thing. Seems like the $6 range FullTilt tables are easier (unless you get rivered by a 2-outer in back to back games). Also, in the smaller man MTTs I have learned to recognize player ranges better. In these, some players when you are at FT will still fold alot even at a 400/800 + blinds. If they push, then you know they have something. Less stealing going on at smaller man MTTs it seems.
  • 4 weeks later...