I thought it would be fun to start a cycling thread. Discuss upcoming races and the drama that goes along with it. If you've never followed the sport before here's the place to get your knowledge. I think it's a phenomenal sport. I will post upcoming races, predictions, news, videos and anything else I think anyone would find interesting. If you have questions about the sport of cycling ask away. I'm a pretty big fan.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today, is the first big race of the season. The Italian Race Milan-San Remo. My prediction:I don't think there are any dynamic riders that can ride away from the field. It's called one of the 'monuments' of the sport and since it's almost 300k or 180 miles long it truly lives up to the billing. The riders are in the saddle for at least 7.5 hours. It's an epic ride. I think the race will end up in a filed sprint. I think there are only two riders in the field that might get away and spoil it for the sprinters. Swiss rider Fabian Cancellara is a motor. A great one day racer and the current king of time trials. If he gets away on the last climb of the day, he's got a shot to take the win. Another rider who might escape and grab the headlines is Philippe Gilbert. He's not as strong as Cancellara but at the end of last season he was having a great year. As for the dark horse, Edvald Boasson Hagen falls right into that category. Remember that name because in 5 years time he could be the biggest player in the sport. He's super young now and the distance maybe too long for him but don't be surprised if he pulls something special out of the bag. I think It's going to end in a field sprint and Italian specialty. Normally, I would pick Petacchi but I think he's getting up there in years so I'm going to pick the super motivated rider of Filippo Pozzato to take the win. With Belgium rider Tom Boonen in second and Petacchi rounding out the top 3.1. Filippo Pozzato2. Tom Boonen3. Alessandro Petacchi If you want to watch live coverage go to Steephill.tvJoe

good job joe. i always enjoy your cycling posts.i noticed contador won the paris-nice the other day, do you think there is anyone who can stop him winning le tour this year? team sky seem pretty confident that they'll podium at the least.

good job joe. i always enjoy your cycling posts.i noticed contador won the paris-nice the other day, do you think there is anyone who can stop him winning le tour this year? team sky seem pretty confident that they'll podium at the least.
Thanks. Pozzato actually was away with less than 2k to go but there were too many good riders and it ended in a field sprint. 2 out of 3 isn't too bad though. Contodor is on another level. He dominated Paris-Nice with only a few key players from his possible tour squad. He's now 27 and in the prime of his career. The only way he will lose is if he makes a major mistake in the early stages. His team is weak but still strong enough to support him. Next week is the Criterium International in France. It's the first time that Contodor and Armstrong will be at the same race. Should be interesting.At first when Team Sky hit the scene I thought they were going to do OK, but I've drank the Kool-Aid. Their organization is top notch and the riders they targeted and put on their team are real players. The only thing that bothered me a little was the way they went out and got some of their riders that were already under contract with other teams. That being said, it would be odd if there were not top level British riders on the team so I think they had to do whatever it took to get one of the elite British riders.As for Wiggins last year's tour route suited a rider like him to perfection. This year there are more mountain. Also, don't be surprised if this year's tour is a lot more aggressive. Last year Astana was SO strong that there was a lot of negative racing. I don't see wiggins on the podium this year. Top 10 I think is a lock but those last two slots on the podium will be hard to come by. Plus, I would not be surprised if Garmin does what ever it takes to keep him off the podum. Should be a great year.

loved your tour posts as wellI'm not up to speed on the details of the pro cycling ranks, but i ride quite a bit and will be reading your updates even if I don't research or post much.Not trying to thread hijack here so feel free to PM or completely dismiss answering my questions altogether.Not sure how much you know about the Tri world, but Lance has committed to doing the Ironman World Championships in Kona in 2011. Whether he will actually have to qualify like the rest of the world, "win" a lottery slot, or get an invite is unknown to me. Chris McCormack has already started the smack talking about him getting "chicked" by Chrissie Wellington, among others. 1) Do you think Lance and his tri background will actually get "chicked" and ruin all credibility of his super powers2) Do you think he can transition in a years time and compete with the top bikers like McCormack, Faris Al-Sultan, Chris Lieto, Luc van Lierde, etc. I know a lot of these guys have come from cycling backgrounds and been very successful in IM. Heck, Chris Lieto almost won it with his bike split this last year, which is unheard of in Kona.

Not sure how much you know about the Tri world, but Lance has committed to doing the Ironman World Championships in Kona in 2011. Whether he will actually have to qualify like the rest of the world, "win" a lottery slot, or get an invite is unknown to me. Chris McCormack has already started the smack talking about him getting "chicked" by Chrissie Wellington, among others. 1) Do you think Lance and his tri background will actually get "chicked" and ruin all credibility of his super powers2) Do you think he can transition in a years time and compete with the top bikers like McCormack, Faris Al-Sultan, Chris Lieto, Luc van Lierde, etc. I know a lot of these guys have come from cycling backgrounds and been very successful in IM. Heck, Chris Lieto almost won it with his bike split this last year, which is unheard of in Kona.
Thanks for the compliment. Cycling was my first true passion growing up. I actually started with biathlons and then went into cycling. Lance Armstrong transcends sports. I would assume he'll do qualifying events and with his stellar results in the NYC marathon he should qualify. That being said if he doesn't qualify, I can GUARANTEE he will get in by sponsors exemption. He has such a halo effect that the ratings will double when he does the event. Some think it smells of elitism but I think that's just sour grapes. If you have a chance to put the spotlight on your sport, why not?If I understand your first question - Will Armstrong be competitive? The simple answer IMHO is no. Will he destroy on the bike - yes. But when you're up against the elite of the elite and you'll be doing it at the ripe old age of 40 - being in the top ten is uber slim. He'll finish high maybe top 50. He'll try real hard but nowhere near the intensity he does for cycling. It was like the first time he ran the NYC marathon. He barely trained and turned in an awesome time. I'm sure he'll train with jimmy riccitello and make it interesting but he'll be doing it for 'fun' while the other competitors will be out for blood. (which makes sense because it's their profession.)Here's a video for Armstrong at Leadville 100 a mountain bike race he won after 'two training camps in Italy and France' Read: the giro and tour de France. He finished 2nd the year before.

Agree that he will be in one way or another. The Ironman brand is not in it for the age group athlete and they have made that well known. They are in it for $$$$ and Lance Arm$trong is just that for them. If I remember correctly he ran an open marathon around 2:40-2:50 which is very fast, but he'll need to be within 15% of that to crack the top 50 I think. I know he can swim like a fish as well. I don't see Lance doing this race for "fun". Way back in the day he was a competitive triathlete and I think he is always out to prove something. McCormack is doing him a big favor starting the talk this early. I saw the Leadville results. I think he put together an unstoppable team because he was tired of losing that one. On another note, I only ride a tri bike. Even for my century rides. If I had $1500 to spend on an intro road bike what are some you would suggest? I am 6'4", 185, with a 34" inseam. Lots of bikes for sale around here....time to upgrade for the new season.

On another note, I only ride a tri bike. Even for my century rides. If I had $1500 to spend on an intro road bike what are some you would suggest? I am 6'4", 185, with a 34" inseam. Lots of bikes for sale around here....time to upgrade for the new season.
I'm in the compete opposite direction in terms of size. I'm on just 5'6 (but was a shitty climber). When I worked in a bike shop many moons ago, when someone of your size came we'd always recommend a bike with oversized tubing. Going up hill you'll flex the shit out of anything - I don't think you could go wrong with a Cannondale or Trek or Specialized. Just make sure your bottom bracket and headset are not of lesser quality. Those are the two places builders sometimes skimp to save money. I'm not sure the geometry on any of those bikes so the best thing to do is ride them. With your tri bike you're always riding on the rivet - meaning all the way forward while a more conventional road bike you're going to be more laid back. I know the 'LeMond frame geometry is the most laid back - 'close to a touring bike' so that's the only frame I'd steer clear of since it's so different from what you're used to. Hope that helps.

A solid relationship with your local bike store is pretty key when purchasing a bike. Their advice and longterm support are pretty much required and they'll do their best for you with respect to honoring the warrantyand beyond.I am like Wildspoke...about 5'7" and 155lbs...often wished I had more height, but I won't cry about it. Been a city rider on a modified MTB for most of the past 15 years. Looking forward to a hybrid with a fatter gear ratio on which I can sprint more. Toronto sucks for bike paths, though, even if we do have quite a few kms of them. Cars double-parking and pedestrians and dogs all over the Lakeshore path kill opportunities for speed training.Nice thread to start, Wild...Really enjoyed last year's TDF thread. Looking forward to a huge sprts summer.

I'm in the compete opposite direction in terms of size. I'm on just 5'6 (but was a shitty climber). When I worked in a bike shop many moons ago, when someone of your size came we'd always recommend a bike with oversized tubing. Going up hill you'll flex the shit out of anything - I don't think you could go wrong with a Cannondale or Trek or Specialized. Just make sure your bottom bracket and headset are not of lesser quality. Those are the two places builders sometimes skimp to save money. I'm not sure the geometry on any of those bikes so the best thing to do is ride them. With your tri bike you're always riding on the rivet - meaning all the way forward while a more conventional road bike you're going to be more laid back. I know the 'LeMond frame geometry is the most laid back - 'close to a touring bike' so that's the only frame I'd steer clear of since it's so different from what you're used to. Hope that helps.
I rode my commuter bike in my first couple of triathlons and went straight to a tri bike after I knew I would be sticking with it. I ride a 2003 Cervelo Dual that has a ton of miles on it, but nearly every component and part has been replaced. I like climbs and regularly place well in century ride climbs when they do king of the mountain times. I've been told if I were to get a road bike it would make a huge difference. Honestly though, I am so comfortable on the tri bike I just haven't wanted to spend the money on a road bike......yet. There are a couple of great LBS's here and they know me well as I do nearly zero maintenance on my tri and mtn bikes.Just thought I would get your input on it and yes, any input helps. Mercury, if you think Toronto is bad you should try Atlanta. It has to be the worst city to cycle in that I have ever visited. Pure suicide with the roads and the drivers. I live a bit north of the city and we head straight up into the mountains for every ride. It's the only way to get away from traffic. I refuse to ride by myself or with more than 3 or 4 guys. It's just not safe. We do have a pretty sweet track called the Silver Comet Trail. It is 120+ miles of relatively flat riding on paved over railroad tracks going from Atlanta into Alabama. There are a few stop lights for the first 15 or so miles, but clear sailing from there. Great for interval training.
I ride a 2003 Cervelo Dual. Mercury, if you think Toronto is bad you should try Atlanta.
Cervelo is a top shelf company. I've never ridden one but from what I've read and heard it's an excellent ride. I think if you got a road bike you'd def feel more comfortable. You'er so far forward with on your tri bike - you'd feel a difference. Plus with a road bike you'd be able to grab the hoods while climbing. Mercury, I saw the world road championships in Hamilton in 2003. I went with a buddy and we had a great time. The course wasn't hard enough though. Also, I lived in Atlanta for 2 years. (the roads are horrendous) I was there in 96. Watched the Olympic Road Race. I lived like 5 minutes away from the course on Lindbergh. (Just south of Buckhead)My Olympic Memory. I was friends with Canadian Olympian Gord Fraser. I knew him and his wife when I was living in Arizona. I fell out of touch with him when I moved to Atlanta. I heard that there was some debate as to whether he would be on the Olympic team or not. (He was riding for Motorola at the time.) Me and two friends were walking the road race course during the early laps. I said aloud, "I wonder if Gord is in the race." I didn't know - and I couldn't find out.Not 10 seconds after I said that the field game roaring down the road and who is 3rd in line but Gord. Since we were on a part of the course where no one else was standing, I screamed his name and he looked up, saw me and flashed me the thumbs up and a huge shit eating grin!"

This weekend is an awesome chance to see the classics riders and the stage racers.The big showdown is happening at the Critérium International. Contodor is going to open another can of whoop ass. He was supposed to race in Spain but switched at the last minute. Some are saying it's to show Armstrong who is the 'patron' or "boss of the peloton" I think they are right. There is a time trial that I think Contodor wants to ride and show Armstrong what he's up against. I don't even think Armstrong will be top 10. I think he'll be in the 13-16th place. Contodor will be top 3. Contodor is in the prime of career. He is dominate. Andy Schelck injured he knee again. I think it's serious. he's barely competed. It's real shame but he's young.I think he's racing up in Belgium.The really good races to watch this weekend are in Belgium. If you get a chance check out E3 Prijs I'm picking Boonen for win. I usually watch the Sporza coverage. I don't understand Flemish but they do love their sport and fries. Look for BMC to be active but I think Hincapie is saving himself for Flanders. The Dutch teams need to step up if they are to get a tour nod. The one squad that really needs to show up is Lotto. They have 0 wins so far this year. Not good. 1. Boonen2. Nick Nuyens 3. Pozzato For Gent - Wevelgem I have to go with Mark Cavendish. I think he's super motivated to show he's fit and the leader of Columbia. 1. Cavendish2. Bennati 3 FarrarIn Criterium International 1. Contodor2. Evans3. SanchezArmstrong 12 or 13th

It's official. I'll be taking my first ever road bike ride.....in a half ironman distance triathlon May 2nd. :club: I just didn't want to pay for the transport to the USVI and have to worry about lugging my tri bike around while island hopping. Going to be renting one from the local bike shop for the weekend. It will save me nearly $375 and that's a lot of drinks with little umbrellas.Also going for a VO2 max test on Monday. Heard Lance is in the upper 80's so I am shooting for at least 91.

It's official. I'll be taking my first ever road bike ride.....in a half ironman distance triathlon May 2nd. :club: I just didn't want to pay for the transport to the USVI and have to worry about lugging my tri bike around while island hopping. Going to be renting one from the local bike shop for the weekend. It will save me nearly $375 and that's a lot of drinks with little umbrellas.Also going for a VO2 max test on Monday. Heard Lance is in the upper 80's so I am shooting for at least 91.
To quote Bob Roll, "Keep the rubber side down" When he told one of my friends this my friend looked at Bob befuddled. Bob was like, "Don't Crash." Oh.Riding a different bike for 50 miles should be too taxing. Just make sure your stem length is right. Too long and you'll have major neck issues. As for testing your VO2 max apparently, LeMond tested way, way off the charts. If I remember correctly, Armstrong was high but not crazy high. Apparently the thing that gave Armstrong game was his ability to produce less lactic acid in his legs. While us mere mortals would have our legs filled with that jelly he is barely affected. Hence 7 tour wins.

The 22 tour teams were named today:The 16 automatically-selected teams under the 2008 agreement are: Team Milram, Quick Step, Omega Pharma-Lotto, Team Saxo Bank, Caisse d'Epargne, Euskaltel-Euskadi, Footon-Servetto, HTC-Columbia, AG2R La Mondiale, Bbox Bouygues Telecom, Cofidis, Francaise des Jeux, Lampre-Farnese, Liquigas-Doimo, Astana, and Rabobank.Wild card invitations: Garmin-Transitions, Team RadioShack, BMC Racing Team, Team Sky, Katusha, and Cervelo TestTeam.Although the two minor teams the Netherlands didn'tget a ride (sucks for them because the race starts in Holland) the tour organizers can't be disappointed with the possible start list. It's still Contodor's show but the Wild card teams will be bringing a lot of firepower - Plus for the first time ever there will be 4 American teams and 1 Canadian team. Leaps and bounds since it all started for North American teams in 86 when 7-11 got a tour bid. He's a little ride down memory lane:

It's crazy about how many riders then are still involved with cycling today. As for 2010 ,there are lot of possible podium players. I'll reserve the top step for Contodor until someone else shows me they can compete.But the Wildcards will shape the race. Sky - Wiggins Garmin - Vande VeldeColumbia - RogersShack - Armstrong Lephiemer KlodenCervelo - Sastre

This could be Lance's last year so I look for him to take 1st, 2nd, or not near the top. Shack is pretty strong though that they could keep him up at the top even if he blows up trying to keep pace with Contador. If Lance wins this year I definitely think it will be his last one.Agree that unless something happens it is Contador's to lose. He is the clear favorite at this point. Strange that they didn't let one of the teams from the Netherlands in seeing as they are starting there. FWIW, I would really like to see them incorporate more stages without contact between riders and coaches. It has become too strategic behind the scenes DURING the stages. Yes, I know most team sports are the same way and I pretty much feel the same about them as well.

"Keep the rubber side down" nice!!! It took me a couple of TDF braodcasts to get used to Bob Rol, but he's a super genial dude and brings some edginess and road cred to the broadcast.Cervelo Test is the Canadian team? Just finish in the top 10, guys...gl...

Ok This Sunday is one of my favorite classics Tour of Flanders. I saw the race in person. I hung at the top of the Mur de Grammont. Awesome. If you can see only see one day race, this is it. I was 1 foot away as they suffered up the climb. The Belgium fans are almost as crazy as the Dutch. The field is stacked this year. Tons of riders including Armstrong (who btw has no shot at winning)5 Star favorites Stijn Devolder Tom Boonen Fabian Cancellara4 Star favorites Bernard Eisel Sylvain Chavanel Juan Antonio Flecha Filippo Pozzato 3 Star favorites George Hincapie Lars Boom Kim Kirchen Thor Hushovd (best name in sports) 2 Star favoritesAlessandro Ballan Marcus Burghardt Kurt-Asle Arvesen Edvald Boasson Hagen Tyler Farrar 1 Star favorites Nick Nuyens Lance Armstrong  Matti Breschel My prediction1. Stijn Devolder (solos for 3rd win in row) 2. Tom Boonen wins sprint 3. George Hincapie c'mon one time! BMC needs this so does george. 4. Lars Boom riding really, really well this year5. Fabian Cancellara Spartacus. This guy is a train. Make your guess.

Hey, BL. When you mentioned biking in Rome (in the Masters thread) I thought you might mean motorcycling, but after seeing this thread, I realize you meant cycling. Do you ever go mountain biking at Berry College? If not, look into it. Lots of trails.I've never really competed as a cyclist (only one biathlon and one triathlon, both really small events), but I did ride 4200 miles from the Atlantic to the Pacific one summer when I was in college.quick edit: Now I remember competing in a criterium once. I was so hungover from partying the night before, I thought I was going to die.

Make your guess.
Doh..haven't visited this thread between then and now, but here were my picks1)Cancillera2)Boonen3)Gilbert (wild guess here)4)Leukamens5)FarrarThe guys I ride with call me Thor Hushovd. Not because I ride like him....more like I look like a train.
Hey, BL. When you mentioned biking in Rome (in the Masters thread) I thought you might mean motorcycling, but after seeing this thread, I realize you meant cycling. Do you ever go mountain biking at Berry College? If not, look into it. Lots of trails.I've never really competed as a cyclist (only one biathlon and one triathlon, both really small events), but I did ride 4200 miles from the Atlantic to the Pacific one summer when I was in college.quick edit: Now I remember competing in a criterium once. I was so hungover from partying the night before, I thought I was going to die.
Haha...riding a crit with hangover....NICE! Only thing worse I can think of is trying to PR a 10K run. Never mtb'd up by Berry. Have ridden some trails up near Dalton including Snake Creek Gap which was not fun....it was more like a Appalachian hiking trail that they hold a time trial on. More rocks than Yosemite. The rides I have done near Rome/Cartersville have been organized century rides. Would never be able to find my way around there without cue sheets. My last one started in Cartersville and I popped a spoke (3rd in a month) about 20 miles in. The Sag wagon took us to the bike shop in Rome where I purchased new wheels and we caught some back roads to tie into the century at mile 40ish. Was the longest day I have ever spent on a bike. We were hitting every aid station as they were packing up and still did not DFL. Passed two Asian girls with about 15 miles left...they were pounding a big gear at about 40 rpm's and were complaining about cramps. We gave them a tube of endurolytes and salt tablets and wished them luck. Good times.

Saw Armstrong pulled out of Circuit de la Sarthe due to illness....along with half his team. He was the last one to get sick. Makes me wonder if he just didn't want to race without a team.

Also going for a VO2 max test on Monday. Heard Lance is in the upper 80's so I am shooting for at least 91.
Apparently the guy that administered the tests said they went as well as they could have as far as execution. I tested a LOT higher running than biking which is surprising. Relatively speaking I am a much stronger biker, especially as far as triathletes are concerned. I tapped out at 350 watts on the bike...whatever that means. I don't use or train by power even though I've heard it is a must these days.

Tomorrow is my favorite one day race.If you can watch European coverage I highly recommend it. The Flemish and French coverage is the best by far. They rate all the cobbled sections and the camera work is awesome. Based on what happened with Flanders last week I would be really surprised if both Boonen and Cancellara were not in the final for the top step. They were head and shoulders above the other players.However, with Roubaix anything can happen. A crash or mechanical and your day is done. BMC took a huge blow to their chances with the absence of Ballan. If nothing else it has to disrupt the team morale. I don't think George is going to do it. This is his 17th time trying to win it all. I don't think it's going to happen. (please prove me wrong)My top 3 are the usually suspects1. Cancellara will to the double so so strong right now2. Boonen3. Matti Breschel 4. Hoste5. FlechaDark horse to podium/top 5 is Tyler Farrar. He won the mid week race Scheldeprijs (have no idea how to pronounce it) He along with Cancellara are having a great spring. Less than 24 hours. Can't wait!

Apparently the guy that administered the tests said they went as well as they could have as far as execution. I tested a LOT higher running than biking which is surprising. Relatively speaking I am a much stronger biker, especially as far as triathletes are concerned. I tapped out at 350 watts on the bike...whatever that means. I don't use or train by power even though I've heard it is a must these days.
Watts is what all the pros base their training on but like you I have not a clue how to interpret the data. 350 is good but if you look up some of the numbers what some of the pro do on mountain stages at the tour it becomes very humbling. But from the little I know that's impressive. the one reason you might have tested better on the run is because you felt more comfortable running than having your bike hooked up to a trainer. But this is only a guess.