I Learned Something New Today About The Los Angeles Kings

A friend of mine is a big into trading hockey game tapes. Well he finally got around to send me a couple from his vault. So besides some games from the 60's and 80's of Team USA he also sent me a video of two old Kings games.One is a game LA in Montreal from 1977. Well the other when I first opened it I was confused. It read, LAK-DRI 12-31-88. I thought he misspelled DRW or something to that effect. Little known to me he sent me a game I was never aware took place. A mid-season exhibition game between the Los Angeles Kings and Dynamo Riga! It's a Canadian telecast and the first thing that was interesting was the color/colour man is Brad Park. Shane Heyer is on the Lines with Brad Kozak. Besides seeing some hilarious names on the Kings like Wayne McBean and Ron Dugauy(Both of which who's sex life maybe better than their careers, especially McBean's). In goal for Riga is a goalie named "Artur Irbe." The play by play man is calling him Er-ba. Anatoli Semenov is also on the Riga team.So far it's been interesting to watch, you'll have to kill someone for the ref to call a penalty both teams are hooking and slashing away.

A friend of mine is a big into trading hockey game tapes. Well he finally got around to send me a couple from his vault. So besides some games from the 60's and 80's of Team USA he also sent me a video of two old Kings games.One is a game LA in Montreal from 1977. Well the other when I first opened it I was confused. It read, LAK-DRI 12-31-88. I thought he misspelled DRW or something to that effect. Little known to me he sent me a game I was never aware took place. A mid-season exhibition game between the Los Angeles Kings and Dynamo Riga! It's a Canadian telecast and the first thing that was interesting was the color/colour man is Brad Park. Shane Heyer is on the Lines with Brad Kozak. Besides seeing some hilarious names on the Kings like Wayne McBean and Ron Dugauy(Both of which who's sex life maybe better than their careers, especially McBean's). In goal for Riga is a goalie named "Artur Irbe." The play by play man is calling him Er-ba. Anatoli Semenov is also on the Riga team.So far it's been interesting to watch, you'll have to kill someone for the ref to call a penalty both teams are hooking and slashing away.
Yeah there were 30 or so Exhibition games between NHL and Russian teams, the most famous being the one the Russians protested Flyers violence.
Yeah there were 30 or so Exhibition games between NHL and Russian teams, the most famous being the one the Russians protested Flyers violence.
Yeah those were in the 70's and then again in the mid 80's. I was aware of when the Kings played the Soviet team in 1985 when they played on Dec 26th 1985. But I was never aware of the Riga game during the 88-89 season. That was new to mean.
Well, to be fair Bobby Clarke *did* try to chop Valery Kharlamov's foot off like it was the cherry tree and he was George Washington.
Well, to be fair Bobby Clarke *did* try to chop Valery Kharlamov's foot off like it was the cherry tree and he was George Washington.
actually, not to nitpick, but pretty sure that happened during the Summit Series between Canada and USSR. I have to admit that Flyers game is hard for me to watch and not side with the "communists". The play really is downright dirty. They really were the Broad Street Bullies.
actually, not to nitpick, but pretty sure that happened during the Summit Series between Canada and USSR. I have to admit that Flyers game is hard for me to watch and not side with the "communists". The play really is downright dirty. They really were the Broad Street Bullies.
No doubt about that, even in net. Billy Smith could have taken stick lessons from Parent.
It was definitely the Summit Series, Game 5 if I recall correctly. I didn't realize we were talking about two different things.
I used to own his Wild Wing jersey. He also wore the highest roster number in Ducks history (93). Good times.
Semenov actually owns a rink in Ontario, Calif. which is located about 10 minutes from my house. Good rink too. Owned it with Dimitri Yushkevich
so where's our game summary and box score (or at least a final score)?
I just put it on late last night and I had school in the morning. Will finish watching it today.

speaking of the Kings, is Sean Burke still in their system for this year? Any info?Also Kings related, it's going to be fun watching Brian Boyle get some more time with the Monarchs this year wee.

speaking of the Kings, is Sean Burke still in their system for this year? Any info?Also Kings related, it's going to be fun watching Brian Boyle get some more time with the Monarchs this year wee.
Burke did indeed retire. Boyle is expected to make the Kings this season as of what Lombardi said earlier this off season. We'll see. The guy I'm interested in next season in Manchester is Bud Holloway.

Ok some of you guys asked for a game report and here it is.The Kings sucked. Shocking I know.They ended up losing the game 5-3 to Dynamo Riga. Dynamo played a good game and really Arturs Irbe was very good in net. It wasn't the last time Irbe was stoning the shit out of the Kings at the Great Western Forum. It would come many years later.The Kings goal scorers were Bernie Nicholls, Wayne McBean, and Wayne Gretzky. Of course there's one name that doesn't belong in that list. For those that remember McBean I doubt it was because he was a damn good junior player, won a Calder Cup, was a high draft pick. No everyone knows Wayne McBean because he banged Alyssa Milano back in the 80's. Got to give McBean some credit for that because you can't for his NHL Career.It looked like for the most part there was a good attendance at the Forum. One thing I tend to notice about the older games is the lack of a goal horn. Obviously this innovation has come later. You really get to hear the crowd at that point.Kings suck, Shocking.

The Kings goal scorers were Bernie Nicholls, Wayne McBean, and Wayne Gretzky. Of course there's one name that doesn't belong in that list. For those that remember McBean I doubt it was because he was a damn good junior player, won a Calder Cup, was a high draft pick. No everyone knows Wayne McBean because he banged Alyssa Milano back in the 80's. Got to give McBean some credit for that because you can't for his NHL Career.
As soon as I read McBean, I thought, I remember that name......and yeah, it was cause of Milano. I remember him being on the Islanders and her being at a game being shown on tv, and also her bringing him out on stage to some talk show. (Tonight show? Arsenio?)And Bernie Nicholls was one of my all time favourites. That 150pt. season was sick, I will never forget those numbers....70G, 80A, 150pts. I loved 80's hockey.
As soon as I read McBean, I thought, I remember that name......and yeah, it was cause of Milano. I remember him being on the Islanders and her being at a game being shown on tv, and also her bringing him out on stage to some talk show. (Tonight show? Arsenio?)And Bernie Nicholls was one of my all time favourites. That 150pt. season was sick, I will never forget those numbers....70G, 80A, 150pts. I loved 80's hockey.
Wayne McBean will always go down as another bad Kings draft pick but at least he got to have sex with Milano. Really I guess you can say he's still the big winner in all of this. McBean did get traded for Kelly Hrudey. He was actually a stable goalie besides his five hole.
  • 3 years later...

This is your time Belanger..Im assuming you are having the time of your life..Please surface and tell us what it feels like out in LA for diehard hockey fans like yourself.

• Like 1
This is your time Belanger..Im assuming you are having the time of your life..Please surface and tell us what it feels like out in LA for diehard hockey fans like yourself.
I posted in the playoff thread the other day lol. I'm around and waiting for this series to begin. I'm so tired of watching or reading anything about it. I just want them to start playing.Other fun stuff, I was actually in Europe for games 1-4 of the WCF, barely saw a damn thing. Had to wait till I got back before I really saw any extended highlights.