quiz question #5

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

Poll: What would you do? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#141 TJ_Eckleburg

TJ_Eckleburg

Drunken Short-handed Deepstacked NL Master

• Members
  • 4,198 posts
  • Interests:Poker, sports, music, blah blah blah

Posted 04 March 2005 - 01:55 PM

I'm apparently in the minority, but I think this is a pretty easy fold. What everyone seems to be forgetting is if the small blind goes in anyway, which he has a good chance of doing with A-anything, any pocket pair, or any two face cards (or worse, since we ARE online), and wins, your tournament is basically over. The only way you're signicantly better than a 60% favorite is if he has Ax where x is less than 7. Anything else is a 60-40 shot in your favor at best, and at worst you're way behind. Maybe this is just my style and maybe I'm wrong, but I think that with your stack and the blinds, you're not THAT desperate when it's a free fold.

#142 the_stein

the_stein

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 820 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 02:00 PM

...alright post the answer daniel you're killing me
Suggestive thinking, causing your perspective to change

And when I need to free my mind
I can find, satisfaction in a bag of weed
Everything I need, leave it to the trees
It can make me feel better, and every day I wake
Niggas rollin' up blunts, and mo blunts, and mo blunts
And I keep a case of Swisher Sweets in the trunk
So when I'm rollin', smokin', chokin', just floatin

#143 pockets

pockets

Testicles

• Members
  • 1,122 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 02:43 PM

I voted all in, and to me it's pretty simple.Your goal is to win. One first is better than two thirds. So the all in bet, to me, is betting that neither of those players has a better ace or some great pocket pair. If that's true, then more than half of the time you'll have enough chips to really make a run at winning, whereas if you throw away a hand like A7, you're just trying to fold your way into the money.

#144 SabaAba

SabaAba

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 02:43 PM

Some people don't think that you are in bad shape?Are you kidding? We don't know when blinds are going up next, but in 4 hands you are about to lose 600 chips to blinds. 600 is more than half your stack. Now if you are playing to win, you must push all in. You are going to have to do it eventually, you are not guaranteed to get something better in the next 4 hands.

#145 Uppie_

Uppie_

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 431 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 03:18 PM

ok i push in because you are a fav against two random hands, and you only have a little more then three rounds left and that at best is 15 handsand you might not get another good situation like this. if you get called your proabaly a dog but a three to one dog, you not getting those odds but i think you have to gamble here. folding seems like your desperately trying to hang on hoping the other short stacks don't hit a hand and bust out so you can get third. I think moving in is the only play that is playing to win i think the others are playing not to lose.

#146 JETMECMAN

JETMECMAN

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:CARDS

Posted 04 March 2005 - 03:40 PM

Daniel- Ive been listening to you ever since I started playing.You've said on several occasions the equation is this-A-7 offsuit is a iffy hand but everyone else folds to me, I'm short stackedfacing three way action= ALL INya got five cards to catch an ace 8) :bubbleduh: flop comes- :clubs7: :spades3: :heartsa: turn- : :hearts6: the river makes it the hand of the year with- :spadesa: then I woke up
I only want three things at the card table
Hold Cards of Steel, Turns of Gold, and
The Ability to Bluff the Lack of Either

#147 Big-Ern777

Big-Ern777

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 11:28 PM

It's a real sketchy situation considering the scenario. Why not lay it down, see two more free hands and a hand in the SB and BB to make a move. Most likely the short stack is going to push in on any decent hand and A7off isn't going to exactly have him seriously dominated most of the time (I mean even J8 suited has you at around a coin toss). If just the short stack calls and wins now you're severly crippled and are praying for a catch or run of good cards down the road. If the BB calls (who like the SB will play fairly loose) the all-in, you are again not necessarily a heavy favorite if a favorite at all and putting your life on the line with all your chips. It just isn't worth it in that case. (Minimum bet or calling is like delaying the all-in or throwing away 200 in chips if you opt to fold a reraise from the SB or BB considering one of them is going to look for action regardless of their cards in that situation)If this were just winner take all, then the correct play would have to be to push in preflop and run the race if necessary, but I assume otherwise.

#148 J-Dub

J-Dub

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 09:19 AM

I'd defintely push it in. If you do get called you have a decent chance of being in the lead against something like KQ. More likely than not though, both blinds will fold since they probably have junk anyway. Seems like a no-brainer, but what do I know in the end anyway?

#149 JETMECMAN

JETMECMAN

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:CARDS

Posted 05 March 2005 - 10:34 AM

Big-Ern777 said:

It's a real sketchy situation considering the scenario.  Why not lay it down, see two more free hands and a hand in the SB and BB to make a move.  Most likely the short stack is going to push in on any decent hand and A7off isn't going to exactly have him seriously dominated most of the time (I mean even J8 suited has you at around a coin toss).  If just the short stack calls and wins now you're severly crippled and are praying for a catch or run of good cards down the road.  If the BB calls (who like the SB will play fairly loose) the all-in, you are again not necessarily a heavy favorite if a favorite at all and putting your life on the line with all your chips.  It just isn't worth it in that case.  (Minimum bet or calling is like delaying the all-in or throwing away 200 in chips  if you opt to fold a reraise from the SB or BB considering one of them is going to look for action regardless of their cards in that situation)If this were just winner take all, then the correct play would have to be to push in preflop and run the race if necessary, but I assume otherwise.
Are you kidding me this is not a board game its poker.i want to make them pay to see the flop and your getting all most 8-1 on your money.let them call and then take even more of the money
I only want three things at the card table
Hold Cards of Steel, Turns of Gold, and
The Ability to Bluff the Lack of Either

#150 LooseCannon

LooseCannon

Poker Forum Regular

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 11:35 AM

A7 off is not a completely horrible hand, but it's not great here.My plan is to make a minimum raise. Chances are that the small blind is going to shove in. If the big blind just calls, that tells me his hand is weak and I reraise all in feeling that the big blind could have a hand like KT, QJ, or A5 or a great many hands that I can beat. (If it were just between myself and the short stack, I'd be willing to either push all in or call an all in, depending on who is acting first in the blinds.)If, however, the big blind raises all in after the big blind goes all in, that tells me that I don't have the best hand. I might fold and wait for a better spot.

#151 JFarrell20

JFarrell20

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 07:12 PM

What positions get paid? Top 3? If thats the case I'll move all in here. Ace-X is dominant over 2 average hands. SB will have to wake up with a monster to call, due the the BB's ability to knock him out. The BB may call with a nominal hand after the SB folds, but that's great. That gives you a shot at doubling up, and then some. Be aggressive when it's shorthanded with a naked ace.

#152 Awful

Awful

Poker Forum Nut

• Members
  • 481 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 08:06 PM

JFarrell20 said:

What positions get paid? Top 3? If thats the case I'll move all in here. Ace-X is dominant over 2 average hands. SB will have to wake up with a monster to call, due the the BB's ability to knock him out. The BB may call with a nominal hand after the SB folds, but that's great. That gives you a shot at doubling up, and then some. Be aggressive when it's shorthanded with a naked ace.
You've got it backwards between the SB and BB. SB, being the shortstack and 2 away from the money may call you to gamble on chipping up since he has little to lose. You have half the BB's stack, and he drops into an out-of-the-$ situation if he loses. The SB wants to double up, the BB wants to conserve chips for superior situations than calling 1/2 of them on an all-in.I'm also still amazed at the weak-tightness of the forum. Actively avoiding going broke on this hand insures finishing out of the money more than being called by a dominating hand from the BB does (assuming you limp-fold, minraise-fold, or do one of those and fold to a flop bet). You lose all future leverage on pots, cripple yourself to seeing 2 more orbits (10 hands. Significant chance of not seeing a hand this good again) before picking an all-in that WILL be called, a double-up won't put you out of the danger zone when you let your stack fall further... it's ludicrous to think that putting 1/3 of your stack in with the intention of getting away for a raise helps you, and ridiculous to think that 4th of 5 when 3 get paid, holding 5.5x BB "isn't that bad" or that A7 isn't a good hand getting heads up with 1 of 2 random hands or that it's the "97th best hand" or whatever that gem of memorized unthinking inapplicable garbage was. Look at the post correcting my crappy math attempt; to worry heavily enough about being behind is fearing the statistical boogeyman. You're more likely to lose postflop to 6-4 than to be dominated preflop by either of those random hands. Noone's life is depending on a single SnG; if BB puts you out, say "that's poker, sometimes they wake up to a beast, or come from behind", move on, fire the next one up, and play each one to maximize profit.

#153 JFarrell20

JFarrell20

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 09:00 PM

Awful said:

JFarrell20 said:

You've got it backwards between the SB and BB. SB, being the shortstack and 2 away from the money may call you to gamble on chipping up since he has little to lose. You have half the BB's stack, and he drops into an out-of-the-$ situation if he loses. The SB wants to double up, the BB wants to conserve chips for superior situations than calling 1/2 of them on an all-in.I'm also still amazed at the weak-tightness of the forum. Actively avoiding going broke on this hand insures finishing out of the money more than being called by a dominating hand from the BB does (assuming you limp-fold, minraise-fold, or do one of those and fold to a flop bet). You lose all future leverage on pots, cripple yourself to seeing 2 more orbits (10 hands. Significant chance of not seeing a hand this good again) before picking an all-in that WILL be called, a double-up won't put you out of the danger zone when you let your stack fall further... it's ludicrous to think that putting 1/3 of your stack in with the intention of getting away for a raise helps you, and ridiculous to think that 4th of 5 when 3 get paid, holding 5.5x BB "isn't that bad" or that A7 isn't a good hand getting heads up with 1 of 2 random hands or that it's the "97th best hand" or whatever that gem of memorized unthinking inapplicable garbage was. Look at the post correcting my crappy math attempt; to worry heavily enough about being behind is fearing the statistical boogeyman. You're more likely to lose postflop to 6-4 than to be dominated preflop by either of those random hands. Noone's life is depending on a single SnG; if BB puts you out, say "that's poker, sometimes they wake up to a beast, or come from behind", move on, fire the next one up, and play each one to maximize profit.
In my experience what typically happens is the SB folds and the BB (with decent chipstack) calls due to "pot odds" since the SB folded (granted only 100). Maybe, maybe not..The SB NEEDS a hand here to call an all-in, due to the fact that the BB is yet to act.All in all, I say PUSH with ANY ACE. You need divine intervention sooner or later! :wink: But I am on my 4th jack n coke so I may be talking out of my A$$ :whistle:Incidentally I just had a 90 minute session at .5/1 where I won +$20.37. It was the first time I've ever played while buzzed... strange... I did much better than I usually do! lol. I think I concentrate more when I drink? Either way...big props to Scotty Nguyen!!! WOOOOOOOO...

#154 jlgosse

jlgosse

absolute donkey

• Members
  • 1,056 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Programming, Pizza

Posted 06 March 2005 - 05:48 PM

I would go all in, seeing as how I'm probably short-stacked. There's a chance to steal the blinds or double up in this situation, which would be a nice play, if you ask me.

#155 TJ_Eckleburg

TJ_Eckleburg

Drunken Short-handed Deepstacked NL Master

• Members
  • 4,198 posts
  • Interests:Poker, sports, music, blah blah blah

Posted 06 March 2005 - 10:23 PM

The small blind DOESN'T need a hand to call. He'd call with two cards above a 7 or an 8 for the exact same reason everyone here seems to think you need to be in with a marginal hand. You're not going to be a huge favorite over anything except Ax where x is less than 7, and anything else... best case scenario is 60/40 your way. Worst case you're crushed. I don't want to draw the line in the sand on a very marginal hand when there's a high likelihood that a stack that can cripple you will call with almost anything and make it a crapshoot. Yes 60/40 is definitely an advantage, IF you're even ahead, but that's just begging for a stupid suckout. And I'm assuming everyone here reading this is good enough to try to avoid marginal situations like this. And all this is just considering the big blind won't call you, which is definitely bad for you if he does. You get two more free folds if you can't make a stand, one of which will probably knock out the shortstack in the SB. Then, you get pre-flop position for your big blind.All the money I ever make online is by taking advantage of other people's mistakes. If this is a low-limit sit and go, you've still got a good chance for the mediocre stacks to kill each other. I realize folding your way in is pretty weak, but I think it's preferable to a very marginal situation you don't HAVE to take.

#156 Abbaddabba

Abbaddabba

breaking even like it's 1999

• Members
  • 5,225 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 06:21 AM

If the table is _that_ weak, you're facing probable folds in light of such a 'powerful' all in, unless they've got premium hands. I'd say that the fold equity in a weak game is more important than calculating the weighted average of callable hands on the part of small blind and big blind. Most weak players fold to that kind of 'strength' without premium hands. Unless they're calling stations, that is.If you give your competition some credit, you'd be well advised to take the possible 60/40 + fold equity instead of waiting it out, because you won't likely find a better situation to be in before the blinds come around again.Really, the only table situation i wouldnt push with was one with loose passive players. That's when i'd just fold it.

#157 mulehead

mulehead

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:17 AM

With all folds to you I think it's usually a no-brainer to raise with Ace-anything to attack the blinds. The tough part is whether to raise the minimum or go all-in. I lean towards the minimum...if you are called there is a good chance someone has you dominated. Of course raising only the minimum still takes a big chunk of your chips...that's part of what makes this a good question.

#158 tdot79

tdot79

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:59 AM

Check and look for the small to go all in to pick up some blinds, BB may fold with a weak hand, not wanting to put a quarter of his stack in to protect his blind, then call and isolate with the SB. If BB calls, go over the top with an all in. Make your move to get into a commanding position.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users