• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Atlanta Fats

Atlanta Fats

Poker Forum Newbie

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 06:07 PM

BB has thought I was out of line all night, and has been trying to "catch" me, or make me fold.Preflop: Hero is SB with A:diamond:, A:club:. 7 foldsFlop: (4 SB) 2:diamond:, 3:club:, 8:club: (2 players)Hero betsI think he has middle cards, like J10, or something.I could 3-bet, but I think he'll call-fold UI, and maybe he'll pair, and pay me off.[/b]Turn: (4 BB) K:club: (2 players)Hero checks, BB betsI think I should've just bet, bet the turn, and river.What's the line here?

#2 econ_tim

econ_tim

forum explorer

• Members
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 06:13 PM

I think you have to lead the turn. I also would raise the flop since there is an obvious flush draw. True, you have a redraw to the nut flush, but you should get money in while you're ahead.
%error452% object ::signature:: not found

#3 custom36

custom36

FCP Veteran, Politico

• Members
  • 16,157 posts
  • Favorite Poker Game:Limit Hold'em

Posted 31 July 2005 - 06:19 PM

Your stop-n-go is okay. I prefer 3-betting to define his hand and then leading out when he calls, though.

#4 LuckyMcCatcher

LuckyMcCatcher

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 06:46 PM

Doesnt really matter. Though if u just call the raise I think leading is terrible. What was the point of just calling flop in 1st place? To cr turn. So do it. I understand that a bad one could come off on turn but in that case check call the turn and river if need be. The check call flop and bet turn is a tourist move. Also go with your read. Don't give up, because you think ,"Oh I should have protected AA on flop, better bet turn." Follow through with your plan unless you have a good reaon to deviate. By check calling flop and leading turn one of two things happen. You forfeit the xtra bet u shouldve gained on flop if you dont cr the turn. Secondly, you might get raised again and you will still have no idea what the villain has. If you cr the turn you have demonstrated that you indeed have a powerful hand that you are taking to showdown. If the villain checks behind that is ok too because you can check river again on this draw heavy board an he will most likely take a stab. Try for a drama (im real weak check).

#5 wrto4556

wrto4556

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:17 PM

bah.... white russians are kickin my ass..
back for kramit

#6 JaysonWeber

JaysonWeber

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 3,665 posts
  • Interests:Poker, who woulda thought.

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:18 PM

"Here are my rules: what can be done with one substance must never be done with another. No two materials are alike. No two sites on earth are alike. No two buildings have the same purpose. The purpose, the site, the material determine the shape. Nothing can be reasonable or beautiful unless its made by one central idea, and the idea sets every detail. A building is alive, like a man." - The Fountainhead.

#7 KDawgCometh

KDawgCometh

old skool

• Members
  • 15,174 posts
  • Interests:poker(duh), soccer, football, rugby, music, and film

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:43 PM

JaysonWeber said:

bah........Boddingtons are kicking my assoh yeah, change it to color=
Wine Notes for those that care about such pretentious things

#8 JaysonWeber

JaysonWeber

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:48 PM

Alcohol is g00t after a 1k + day aye mate? ahhhh yes... White Russians...
"Here are my rules: what can be done with one substance must never be done with another. No two materials are alike. No two sites on earth are alike. No two buildings have the same purpose. The purpose, the site, the material determine the shape. Nothing can be reasonable or beautiful unless its made by one central idea, and the idea sets every detail. A building is alive, like a man." - The Fountainhead.

#9 KDawgCometh

KDawgCometh

old skool

• Members
  • 15,174 posts
  • Interests:poker(duh), soccer, football, rugby, music, and film

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:53 PM

JaysonWeber said:

Alcohol is g00t after a 1k + day aye mate?  ahhhh yes... White Russians...
ya, iss goot
Wine Notes for those that care about such pretentious things

#10 akishore

akishore

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 6,228 posts
  • Interests:Poker, jazz, programming, taekwondo, rock climbing, movies, etc.

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:54 PM

looks fine to me.the whole point of the flop call is to checkraise the turn.otherwise you should be three-betting that flop all day and all night (you're not seriously slowing down with an overpair heads-up here, are you?), but the whole point of this play is to squeeze an extra 0.5 BB from villian.this is standard usually?aseem(the fact that you have the A :club: makes it even more correct.)
After a long hiatus, my poker blog is back!

#11 JaysonWeber

JaysonWeber

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:01 PM

its ok

#12 DanielNegreanu

DanielNegreanu

Poker Forum Veteran

• Root Admin
  • 8,515 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:20 PM

Interesting situation. There are some plays that might make sense in no limit that just don't work as well in limit. One of those plays is just calling on the flop and leading the turn. In limit hold'em you should follow the followinf rule for the most part: Whoever had last action should take the lead on the next street. So in your example, since you were looking to go for the check-raise on the turn you HAVE to check the turn. Unless of course you think your opponent is scared of that card and won't bet, but would call. Ultimately it comes down to reading your opponents tendancies, but in this example I think you played the hand fine. In fact, calling the raise on the flop and then leading out on the turn would have been a silly play IMO.
Posted Image

#13 jayboogie

jayboogie

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:26 PM

I think it was played fine. If your read was that he'd bet the turn, then a check-raise is great here. I think you either 3 bet the flop and lead the turn or you just call the raise on the flop and check-raise the turn. The problem with calling the flop raise sometimes is if a scare card comes on the turn, it might kill your action and you lose bets.

#14 akishore

akishore

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 6,228 posts
  • Interests:Poker, jazz, programming, taekwondo, rock climbing, movies, etc.

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:27 PM

whoa!did daniel negreanu just reply on an everyday strategy post??and did this post just get stickied for no apparent reason??aseem
After a long hiatus, my poker blog is back!

#15 wrto4556

wrto4556

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 5,418 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:28 PM

In fact, calling the raise on the flop and then leading out on the turn would have been a silly play IMO.
I agree with this 100%.3-betting the flop and check/raising the turn are pretty close to me.If we didnt have the A :club: i would just 3-bet.
back for kramit

#16 DKE_XP120

DKE_XP120

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,280 posts
  • Interests:Poker, Video Games, Eating, Sleeping

Posted 31 July 2005 - 10:55 PM

Preflop: Hero is SB with A:diamond:, A:club:. 7 folds, BB calls. Flop: (4 SB) 2:diamond:, 3:club:, 8:club: (2 players)Hero bets, Hero calls. Turn: (4 BB) K:club: (2 players)Hero checks, BB betsi rule

#17 BeanGW

BeanGW

Poker Forum Veteran

• Members
  • 1,480 posts
  • Interests:Women, booze, and gambling

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:26 AM

DanielNegreanu said:

In fact, calling the raise on the flop and then leading out on the turn would have been a silly play IMO.
I totally agree with this idea... But, I'm just wondering when the stop 'n go might have been a better idea... do you need a stronger hand like a set / two pair?

#18 TJ_Eckleburg

TJ_Eckleburg

Drunken Short-handed Deepstacked NL Master

• Members
  • 4,198 posts
  • Interests:Poker, sports, music, blah blah blah

Posted 01 August 2005 - 08:50 AM

Three-bet the flop, lead the turn (unless you got capped).Three-betting is important because there's a world of difference between him just flat-calling the three-bet, or if he's strong (or crazy) enough to cap it. Plus it defines your hand, because you are better than top pair top kicker.Some people see aces and out-think themselves all the time. I personally think it's quite ironic, because getting dealt pocket aces is the easiest hand in the entire deck to play: just bet. Lots and lots.
Always bet like you've got a pair.

--Me

#19 No_Neck

No_Neck

this is how i roll

• Members
  • 11,522 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:51 PM

i think he realizes that we are actually trying to learn from each other and not just be gossip queens.

#20 Steppin Razor

Steppin Razor

Poker Forum Groupie

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 07:58 AM

No_Neck said:

i think he realizes that we are actually trying to learn from each other and not just be gossip queens.
Either that or most of us give such horrible advice he can't stand not correcting us :club:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users