HOF 2013  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you vote for? Choose up to 10.

• Jack Morris
    • Jeff Bagwell
    • Lee Smith
    • Tim Raines
    • Alan Trammell
    • Edgar Martinez
    • Fred McGriff
    • Larry Walker
    • Mark McGwire
    • Don Mattingly
    • Dale Murphy
    • Rafael Palmeiro
    • Bernie Williams
    • Craig Biggio
    • Barry Bonds
    • Roger Clemens
    • Kenny Lofton
    • Mike Piazza
    • Curt Schilling
    • Sammy Sosa

I know that they announce the results in like a few hours, but it can still be discussed and debated long after we know them. I probably should have made this poll a week ago, but what can you do.

Definitely one of the most interesting voting years ever, with an incredibly stacked pool, and the first year of eligibility for two of the greatest players ever to play the game, or two of the biggest cheaters ever to play the game, or somewhere in the middle, depending on how you feel about it. Also Sammy Sosa's first year. Then of course there's the left over roiders from last year - Palmeiro and McGwire - who would be mortal locks to get in if it weren't for steroids.

Even if the whole steroids thing had never happened it would be a very interesting year, with good cases for and against guys like Curt Schilling, Edgar Martinez, Lee Smith, and Tim Raines.

It's also the last year of eligibility for Dale Murphy, who has many vocal supporters but will need something like a miracle to get in, and the second to last year for Jack Morris, who has far more supporters than Murphy and is the subject of many interesting debates and statistical analyses.

I didn't include the entire ballot, but I included anybody who I thought would garner any amount consideration. So Kenny Lofton is included in the poll, but guys like Royce Clayton are not. David Wells and Julio Franco just missed. I probably would have included them actually, but 20 is the max number of choices the forum allows.

I copied the names from Wikipedia, and I believe that they are listed by who got the most votes last year down to the least (but still remain eligible with at least 5% on last year's vote), with this year's new choices listed alphabetically starting at Biggio.

This is unrelated to the HOF but is something awesome that I just figured out by accident. On baseball-reference, on a player's stats page, if you click on the stats for one year and then click on the stats for another year it automatically combines the stats for those years and all the years in between.

So, for example, if you're feeling nostalgic for Pedro Martinez and wish he was getting elected this year and want to check out his peak years, on his player page you click on his stats for 1997 and then click on his stats for 2003 and you see that in those 7 years he went 118-36 with a 2.20 ERA, a 0.94 WHIP, and a ludicrous 213 ERA+.

It's also the last year of eligibility for Dale Murphy

Wait, what? I thought some dude from the early 1900's got in a few years back. Why would eligibility expire!? Who cares if any sportswriter live didn't actually see the guy play? We will always have the particular player's stats and be able to compare those stats with those of his peers. Hell, from here on out, we are going have video of every game ever played.

Why would eligibility expire!?

Because if it didn't, the ballot would be a thousand pages.

I don't know if they still have it, but a lot of old guys got in by "veteran's committee." Basically a bunch of old former players who voted in their friends and is the main reason for a bunch of unworthy players in the hall.

I voted for:

Bagwell, Raines, Edgar, McGwire, Biggio, Bonds, Clemens, Piazza, Schilling, Sosa

Eligibility expires after 15 years, and also you have to get at least 5% support each year or you drop off the ballot.

The Veteran's Committee is totally still around and elects players and managers and even announcers and people like that I think. Getting in by Veteran's Committee after being denied by the general vote is, I think, a bit less of an honor than getting in your first time round, but I'm sure nobody involved in the process would admit that.

I voted for: Morris, Smith, Raines, Martinez, Biggio, Bonds, Clemens, Piazza, Schilling. I should have voted for Bagwell, and I'm not sure why I didn't.

Incidentally, despite an incredibly stacked ballot, zero people got elected. Biggio came very close and almost certainly gets in next year, since there are a lot of crazy voters who do things like differentiate between "first ballot HOFers" and guys who don't deserve that first ballot honor, and some of them surely omitted Biggio this year for not being first ballot material.

Clemens

Bonds

Piazza

Raines

Morris

Bagwell

Biggio

Smith

Martinez

McGwire

And I love Don Mattingly. Favorite player ever. He'll, my ATM PIN has 23 in it. But he was cut short. 84-86 there was nobody better

10 Inning World Series yo

And he was a workhorse, lots of wins, etc. not a sabermatricians dream player, but great for his era. I'm saying all this without looking up any stats

I wouldn't argue too hard for his inclusion

only two obvious choices. piazza would get my vote too.

Did you just say Morris is one of two obvious choices?

Jack Morris would have the highest ERA of any pitcher in the Hall. That's not super advanced stats or anything.

Yeah I'm not sure Morris should get in either, I just kind of like him so I voted for him. But looking now, his stats are way worse than I'd remembered.

Now I don't understand why he's so close to 75%. He doesn't even really have any arbitrary milestones like 3000 Ks. 254 wins is a lot but it certainly doesn't make you a lock, especially with 186 losses. Consider my vote reversed.

And I love Don Mattingly. Favorite player ever. He'll, my ATM PIN has 23 in it. But he was cut short. 84-86 there was nobody better

I'm not really a big baseball fan, but I will watch as many games as possible in the post season.

I was raised a Yanks fan, and used to love watching Mattingly with my dad growing up.

Yeah, The only regular season I watch is the Dolphins. Baseball and basketball, I'll watch a little here and there, but just my teams , Heat, Yankees and Marlins. I'll watch most post season stuff of my teams.

sounds like you aren't a real fan then.

Or, I have matured past being a little boy who lives and dies with every win or loss of some person or team that doesn't know or care I'm alive.

I enjoy sports and my team with perspective. Enjoy them very much at times but it isn't life or death. That ended in 95 or 96 for me. Which would have made me 23 or 24.

Your irrational love of 2 schools you didn't even attend is beyond my grasp. Do you even care about the schools you attended?

Oh yeah, you opened up a can of whoop ass boy.

I'm sorry already. Lets go pick on brvy together.

Isn't everything.

In fairness to you, the 95 LCS between the Yankees and Mariners drained me. It was only a 5 game series. I was up and down over every pitch. Then in 96-00, they won 4 titles and it just wasn't that important anymore. The Dolphins will never win and the Heat 06 series was great for me, as well as last years Heat playoffs.

There, explaining my fandom. Regular seasons are too long. Too many games. 60 games for bball and hockey,, 110 for baseball.

http://espn.go.com/m...lb-hall-fame-be

Really enjoyed this article written by Jayson Stark. Brings up some very good points about the confusion that is the current HOF. For those of you not interested in reading the whole thing he talks a lot about deciding what kind of HOF we the fans and the voters want it to be. Either it needs to be a museum and we put all the great players of their generation in it (regardless of steroids, etc) and explain the history and era in which they played or it needs to be more of a shrine and only the "angels of baseball" should reside. But basically it can't be both.

The games are official. The stats are official. The championships won are official, but we are choosing to ignore the players as if what they did doesn't actually "count." And if it doesn't really count, why do the stats, records, games played by these men count? A lot of memorabilia from these players are already in the hall of fame, but once again, the players themselves are not.

The best part of the article for me was when he listed what is missing from the HOF right now.

• The all-time home-run leader (Barry Bonds)?

• The pitcher who won the most Cy Youngs in history (Roger Clemens)?

• The man who broke Roger Maris' storied home-run record (Mark McGwire)?

• The hitter who had more 60-homer seasons than any player ever (Sammy Sosa)?

• The greatest hitting catcher in history (Mike Piazza)?

• One of four hitters with 3,000 hits and 500 home runs (Rafael Palmeiro)?

• And -- aw, what the heck, might as well throw him in there -- the all-time hit king (Peter Edward Rose)?

Can the HOF really portray an accurate history of the game with so many noteworthy pieces missing from it?

I voted for Morris, Bagwell, McGwire, Murphy, Biggio, Bonds, Clemens, Piazza, Schilling, and Sosa. I would've voted for a few more too. Probably the only ones on the list that I wouldn't vote for are Mattingly, Williams, and Lofton.

• 3 months later...

LOL Morris. How anyone can think Jack Morris was better than Alan Trammell (not to mention Lou Whitaker), is beyond me. Morris was just... his ERA is 3.90. He threw a lot of innings, and was good, but at no point... just... no.

The guy I think really gets jobbed is Edgar Martinez. He's a .315/.415/.515 guy for his career. Which is gross. He flat stung the ball for 15 years.