2009 Offseason Thread

Seems like a good time for an Offseason thread with the first big trade of the offseason happening today:http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4281291cliff notes: Spurs send spare parts to Milwaukee for Richard Jefferson. Now San Antonio can field a very intriguing lineup of:Parker, Ginobili, Jefferson, Duncan, X. (where x= role player)A typical smart trade by SA....they felt like they were being left behind so they turn some spare parts into an athletic swingman (something they needed with Ginobili being so injury prone).

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a good time for an Offseason thread with the first big trade of the offseason happening today:http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4281291cliff notes: Spurs send spare parts to Milwaukee for Richard Jefferson. Now San Antonio can field a very intriguing lineup of:Parker, Ginobili, Jefferson, Duncan, X. (where x= role player)A typical smart trade by SA....they felt like they were being left behind so they turn some spare parts into an athletic swingman (something they needed with Ginobili being so injury prone).
Leaves them super super thin at the bigs other than Duncan.The report said that Oberto and Bowen are going to be released by the Bucks and I wonder if they sign back with the Spurs.At the trade deadline any team could have had Jefferson for nothing and that's what they gave up since no other teams wanted him at his huge contract and $15 million commitment next year.

t'wolves get the 5th pick etan thomas, darius songolia, and some no name from the wizards for randy foye and mike miller.the t'wolves are rumored to be packaging the 5 and 18 overall picks for the number 2. as it stands the wolves has numbers 5,6,18,28 in the first round

t'wolves get the 5th pick etan thomas, darius songolia, and some no name from the wizards for randy foye and mike miller.the t'wolves are rumored to be packaging the 5 and 18 overall picks for the number 2. as it stands the wolves has numbers 5,6,18,28 in the first round
If they want Rubio that makes a lot of sense to make that trade. Rubio has made it clear he doesn't want to play there and he would be a good fit on the Wolves.
If they want Rubio that makes a lot of sense to make that trade. Rubio has made it clear he doesn't want to play there and he would be a good fit on the Wolves.
It appears they do not want Rubio (who is rumored to be a near lock to go #3 to OK city).They want Tyreke Evans and a PG (maybe Curry, maybe Flynn) but not Rubio. Thats what ESPN is saying anyways.I think this is a good trade for Minnesota to start over and it is a good trade for the Wiz as well (they are locked into 2 bad contracts for Jamison and Arenas so they might as well go all in.)
Leaves them super super thin at the bigs other than Duncan.The report said that Oberto and Bowen are going to be released by the Bucks and I wonder if they sign back with the Spurs.At the trade deadline any team could have had Jefferson for nothing and that's what they gave up since no other teams wanted him at his huge contract and $15 million commitment next year.
A good rumor I saw on SI's website said that the most logical move for the Spurs now (since they will be over the luxury tax this year for sure) is to try and sign Rasheed Wallace to the mid-level exception.Parker, Ginobili, Jefferson, Duncan, Wallace is a scary scary line-up. Putting any bench filler behind that starting lineup will work (and they already have Finley and George Hill locked up so that is two decent bench pieces right there).
A good rumor I saw on SI's website said that the most logical move for the Spurs now (since they will be over the luxury tax this year for sure) is to try and sign Rasheed Wallace to the mid-level exception.Parker, Ginobili, Jefferson, Duncan, Wallace is a scary scary line-up. Putting any bench filler behind that starting lineup will work (and they already have Finley and George Hill locked up so that is two decent bench pieces right there).
Sounds like a great plan to make the oldest team in the NBA even older.
Sounds like a great plan to make the oldest team in the NBA even older.
for one year, it would be really great. kinda like the 2008 Celtics.They dont have a lot of options other than to slowly crumble and re-build around Parker. I like their moxie.
for one year, it would be really great. kinda like the 2008 Celtics.They dont have a lot of options other than to slowly crumble and re-build around Parker. I like their moxie.
You can have Noah for Duncan.He's got spunk and youthful exuberance.

How does this sound for a drinking game during draft night. Assuming that moron Stephen A Smith is part of the broadcast everytime that he says something that makes you want to punch him in the face really hard you have to down a drink of your choice. My guess is I would be passed out around pick 11.

How does this sound for a drinking game during draft night. Assuming that moron Stephen A Smith is part of the broadcast everytime that he says something that makes you want to punch him in the face really hard you have to down a drink of your choice. My guess is I would be passed out around pick 11.
I AM A LOUD MAN! IF I AM LOUDER THAN YOU THEN I AM CLEARLY CORRECT!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pretty sure Stephen A got fired from ESPN a long time ago.
I know the Philly Inquirer axed his column a while back.
I know the Philly Inquirer axed his column a while back.
I actually liked him minus the yelling. If you just heard the words and ignored the presentation he was good. Kind of how I approached Biggie, I couldn't stand his voice, but his lyrics were the tops.

hawks are expected to land jamal crawford from golden state and the warriors in return will land acie law and speedy claxton. the only thing holding the deal up is that crawford has an early termination clause in his contract

I actually liked him minus the yelling. If you just heard the words and ignored the presentation he was good. Kind of how I approached Biggie, I couldn't stand his voice, but his lyrics were the tops.
His words are moronic drivel and he has no clue about the sport of basketball.
Shaq still plays huh?
Eh. It's a decent trade for the Cavs because Shaq's contract is up at the end of this coming season. So they will be primed for 2010. And now they can say to Lebron they "tried" everything to get him a title. Shaq's only purpose will be to help Cleveland defend Dwight Howard so they can better deal with Orlando. This is a strange move but I dont think it hurts Cleveland in any way. Not sure it helps much either. But there is not much downside.
Eh. It's a decent trade for the Cavs because Shaq's contract is up at the end of this coming season. So they will be primed for 2010. And now they can say to Lebron they "tried" everything to get him a title. Shaq's only purpose will be to help Cleveland defend Dwight Howard so they can better deal with Orlando. This is a strange move but I dont think it hurts Cleveland in any way. Not sure it helps much either. But there is not much downside.
Shaq can still be effective on offense in limited minutes.He still has an inside game and that great size and strength and he's always been a very good passer and as a bonus actully started to hit some free throws last year.On defense is where he isn't very good any longer.Huge upgrade though over Ben Wallace.I like the trade for Cleveland and it just shows how cheap the Phoenix owner is since this trade is all about saving a few million for the Suns.
Shaq can still be effective on offense in limited minutes.He still has an inside game and that great size and strength and he's always been a very good passer and as a bonus actully started to hit some free throws last year.On defense is where he isn't very good any longer.Huge upgrade though over Ben Wallace.I like the trade for Cleveland and it just shows how cheap the Phoenix owner is since this trade is all about saving a few million for the Suns.
Just his sheer size will make him more effective against Howard. And, yeah, he still brings enough offensively that you can isolate him on the block and get some points. I was just saying there is no downside here for Cleveland. I dont know how much upside there will be but no downside.
wow, vince carter traded to magic for lee, alston and battie.
WAT!?damn everyone went crazy today. thats an interesting move for magic. Not sure if there are enough basketballs in the world to keep that team happy....
WAT!?damn everyone went crazy today. thats an interesting move for magic. Not sure if there are enough basketballs in the world to keep that team happy....
As much as I hate Carter for being a baby and quitting on the Raptors the thing about Carter is that he will be very very happy to not be the star. That's part of his problem.On offense he's very capable of being part of a system and not taking all the shots.Now him playing tough defense or playing hard or injured at all is something else.