i'm issuing a ten-tabling challenge

i have logged a bit under 4k hands of ten-tabling party .50/1 so far (edit: this is on ten tables, for those who lack reading comprehension), and it's a little frustrating being break-even so far (-0.24 BB/100 over 3.7k hands to put me at -$9). i want to really fix the leaks in my ten-tabling game and improve it as fast as possible so i can move up to 1/2 -> 2/4 -> 3/6 to see some real results.the hardest parts for me right now, by far, are focus (an hour takes an EXTREMELY long time when you're ten-tabling... it's insanely exhausting), keeping track of various events in a hand (e.g. i'll remember that i was three-bet preflop when i raised with TT, but i forget who the three-bettor was), and breaking old habits (especially preflop).i think the last problem is the most easily fixable, but it'll still take some work to have the discipline to fold 88 to a raise when i'm so used to three-betting it, stuff like that. the keeping-track part will gradually improve over time, i'm sure, but that relies mostly on improving the first problem... stamina/focus/whatever.as motivation to help me out, i'm wondering if any of you want to participate in a challenge with me. i started a new database exclusively for ten-tabling party, and this is allowing me to keep track of how i do precisely.the challenge is for anyone interested. the goal is to put in 10k hands and have the highest winrate of all involved. then, we repeat for the next 10k hands. i am doing it at .50/1 so that i can adapt for the cheapest "cost"... i would recommend others do the same. if so, our goal can be something like first to +$100 (10k hands at 1 BB/100), then +$200 (20k hands at 1 BB/100), etc.let me know if you're in.aseem

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aseem: Is it possible to have good table selection when 10-tabling? Table selection has always been one of your biggest strengths, IMO, and I wonder if that skill is suffering because of this drive to 10-table.

I'll do it, but instead I'll be doing NL. And using the NL BB (.5/1 blinds = $2 BB) thingy..I can do 8 tables easy, but not so sure aobut 10. It'd be hard to keep track of. I'll just do it to show you how much more profitable low-limit NL is. If you like money, that is.

I'd do it if i had a computer that could handle all that action and display all the tables without overlap.
so, i ten-table in two places: my home, which has a crappy one-monitor (1280 x 1024 max res... meaning overlap), and a nearby computer lab, which has a two-monitor (still 1280 x 1024 max res.... meaning overlap) setup.so, i have the same overlap probelm as you. also, i can't use PT or GT+ or PAHUD at the computer lab, so i just do it without any numbers. in the same vein, it slows down my computer to be running PT and PAHUD/GT+ while ten-tabling, so i just ten-table on my computer with that junk either.this means i actually keep three databases:1. full ten-tabling party database2. ten-tabling party @ home database3. ten-tabling party @ comp lab databasedatabases 2 and 3 are subsets of 1, and 1 is 2 and 3 combined.what's funky is that over about 2k hands each, i'm in the green at home (one monitor) while considerably in the red at the comp lab (two monitors). of course, small sample size, yada yada yada.aseem
this is stupid
why?if i can learn to ten-table effectively, i am sure that my winrate per HOUR will go up.it's all about maximizing return per time invested, isn't it?aseem
Aseem: Is it possible to have good table selection when 10-tabling? Table selection has always been one of your biggest strengths, IMO, and I wonder if that skill is suffering because of this drive to 10-table.
i practice zero table selection when 10-tabling. if that's even possible, it's definitely on the backseat for me right now. in time...aseem

I used to 8 table playing .5/1 NL. Ive stopped doing that since it has made by NL game suffer. Making bad reads and losing focus on tables.Over the course of 2 months I slowly lost 100 dollars a day. Moving back to playing 4-6 tables, my profits have already increased in a week. Ive made on average 200 dollars a day.

I used to 8 table playing .5/1 NL. Ive stopped doing that since it has made by NL game suffer. Making bad reads and losing focus on tables.Over the course of 2 months I slowly lost 100 dollars a day. Moving back to playing 4-6 tables, my profits have already increased in a week. Ive made on average 200 dollars a day.
Just to critique..How many hours a day do you play?VP$P?Hands/day or /hour?BB/100?

a little update...just booked another losing hour. sigh...@ home: 1.7k hands, +$0.01@ lab: 2.7k hands, -$73.73total: 4.3k hands, -$73.72i'm just posting these as a way to motivate myself, knowing that my results will be public. expect more in the future.this is extremely frustrating. i feel like i'm bleeding money away. but, i've told myself that i can't quit anytime before 10k hands. i don't want to be a fish and be fooled by short-term results, but the longer this goes, the less it seems like variance and just the truth that i can't beat the game right now.we'll see.aseem

You aren't able to play more than 4 tables on a single party account? Strange - im pretty sure that you should be able to.

so, i ten-table in two places: my home, which has a crappy one-monitor (1280 x 1024 max res... meaning overlap), and a nearby computer lab, which has a two-monitor (still 1280 x 1024 max res.... meaning overlap) setup.
The issue isn't only the overlap, it's the fact that the computers i have access to hiccup whenever you have more than 4 or 5 tables open. Not just minor issues either - i wont be able to click anything for a good 30 seconds quite frequently.
my only question is how is it possible to 10 table party when the affliates left do you have multiple account on party? or do they allow you to play more than 4 tables now?
when party broke off from the affiliates, it changed its software to allow ten-tabling.aseem

Aseem,yes you beat the game, easily.How many tables are you certain you beat the game ?6 tabling?Also, the goal is to maximize Total $$$ over your allowable/desired poker playing time. Thus, if 10 tabling makes more money per hour than 6 tabling; but you can't do it for long periods of time / causes burnout; it's not so profitable.I see mixing in some 10 tabling short term; but not as the norm. But you may get so comfortable with it...Then you go to 12 tables... etc. I'd think something along he lines of 4-6 tabling 2/4 - 5/10 makes more sense. To the extent seeing all these hands and having to act quickly helps your game though, then it could be good for that in the long term.

i'll chain myself to one of the lab machines and play until i've made $1,000 or lost my BR.
lmao. nh.aseem
if i can learn to ten-table effectively, i am sure that my winrate per HOUR will go up.it's all about maximizing return per time invested, isn't it?
How much time are you going to sacrifice to learn to 10 table good enough to beat the game for more? How long until you give up on your quest to do this? How much are you willing to lose before you think you are doing it well enough at .5/1, unlucky at 1/2 if you try, variance kicks in at 2/4, all hell breaks loose at 3/6 when you start to care more about the money and tilt off a few BB's each hand over the next 10 minutes, how much money/time/effort are you willing to sacrifice just to see if you can do this? It's dumb.

I assure you that playing 10 tables while demonstrating CLEARLY that you misunderstand what it is to play winning poker WILL NOT improve your winrate. Ever. Especially if you are just taking on a random 10. Table selection should never be sacrificed just to play more tables. The idea isn't to just cram in more hands/hr., the idea is to start out small. Start with even one table. Nail down good table selection. Learn how to read your opponents. W/o these two things alone, I'm willing to place side-bets that you go broke in a reasonably short amount of time. So, the evidence that makes me think this about you? You're worried about losing money after 1 hour of play. That, and you've only logged LESS thank 4k hands 10 tabling. Your long-term outlook is quite grim, my friend. I realize that I'm new here, but I've logged in my fair share of play and actually play for a living now. I'm just trying to forewarn you in hopes that you can keep playing and learning this game.So, tell us: 1.) what's your BR for .5/12.) what's your monitor situation (there is no reason to handicap yourself if you are dealing with major overlap).3.) how long have you played for?4.) Before the 10 tabling ability, how many tables have you played, how many hands logged, and did you win/lose?I'm just trying to help.

i would also like to play 10 tables at once and win the 1bb/100 but i think it will be very very difficult do to the fact you have to stay completely calm and focused at all times because if you make a split decision at one table that cost you a pot or cost u a bet or 2 every 100 hands or even every hour at 1 table it's going to be very hard to make that up... seeing as you are on 10 tables i can see this being a real possibilityit may make more sense to slowly move up to 10 alteast instead of starting at 10... play your normal game at 2/4 add a table when you feel comfortable add another...and so on... that way you can gradually get use to the increased speed of the game and yet still make your normal $ at you BR level... just an idea... no way i could do that on 1 screen or even 2 with 1280X1080 or whatever i'd need 2 monitiors at 1600x1400 or higher...

I assure you that playing 10 tables while demonstrating CLEARLY that you misunderstand what it is to play winning poker WILL NOT improve your winrate. Ever. Especially if you are just taking on a random 10. Table selection should never be sacrificed just to play more tables. The idea isn't to just cram in more hands/hr., the idea is to start out small. Start with even one table. Nail down good table selection. Learn how to read your opponents. W/o these two things alone, I'm willing to place side-bets that you go broke in a reasonably short amount of time. So, the evidence that makes me think this about you? You're worried about losing money after 1 hour of play. That, and you've only logged LESS thank 4k hands 10 tabling. Your long-term outlook is quite grim, my friend. I realize that I'm new here, but I've logged in my fair share of play and actually play for a living now. I'm just trying to forewarn you in hopes that you can keep playing and learning this game.So, tell us: 1.) what's your BR for .5/12.) what's your monitor situation (there is no reason to handicap yourself if you are dealing with major overlap).3.) how long have you played for?4.) Before the 10 tabling ability, how many tables have you played, how many hands logged, and did you win/lose?I'm just trying to help.
i learned how to play poker about two weeks ago.this is my first time playing online.thanks for the advice!aseem
So, tell us: 1.) what's your BR for .5/12.) what's your monitor situation (there is no reason to handicap yourself if you are dealing with major overlap).3.) how long have you played for?4.) Before the 10 tabling ability, how many tables have you played, how many hands logged, and did you win/lose?I'm just trying to help.
1.) Look at his avatar. (sw)2.)
so, i ten-table in two places: my home, which has a crappy one-monitor (1280 x 1024 max res... meaning overlap), and a nearby computer lab, which has a two-monitor (still 1280 x 1024 max res.... meaning overlap) setup.
i learned how to play poker about two weeks ago.this is my first time playing online.thanks for the advice!aseem
1.) I'm asking this as seriously as possible: are you serious?2.) I just read some of your blog. Bro, seriously. You need to slow the heck down. Playing above your BR is seriously unwise. 10 tabling for you will be even more unwise. You need to relax a bit, learn how to play the game correctly (maybe you do already, I don't know), learn how to manage your money, etc. etc.
I assure you that playing 10 tables while demonstrating CLEARLY that you misunderstand what it is to play winning poker WILL NOT improve your winrate. Ever.
No, it potentially improves your hourly rate - a far more important figure.The issue is that he's already crushing it while 5 tabling (for example). If he can maintain more than half of his winrate from 5 tabling when moving up to 10 tables, his hourly rate will improve.He's pretty new to poker though, you should go easy on him. I think he's playing well beyond his bankroll at .50/1 too.