Tue Apr 24 17:01:00 PDT 2007Phil Hellmuth Loses Big PotPhil Hellmuth raises to $20,000 under the gun and Shawn Buchanan re-raises to $53,000. Hellmuth calls and checks in the dark. The flop comes 10 :club: 6 :D 3 :) and Buchanan bets $120,000 with another $250,000 behind. Hellmuth calls, the turn is the 7 :D and both players check. The river is the 9 :) and again both players check. Buchanan shows down K :) 7 :icon_dance: and Hellmuth bursts into a tirade. He lectures Buchanan saying, "You bluffed $200,000 against the best player in the world on the top of his game, you wont make it at past the end of the day." Hellmuth finally showed A :D 6 :D and right before he mucked he told Buchanan, "I see right through your soul." Despite Hellmuth's claims he still lost a pot worth over $400,000. Buchanan now has over $600,000 chips and Hellmuth is just under a million. Now that's how you berate a player!Yes, this is an important strategy discussion. Look at how badly a player like Hellmuth can play a hand and still get angry when he loses it.What to learn here? If you're the best player in the world and can see through people's souls, you should know when you have the best hand and you should raise to protect it.

Tue Apr 24 17:01:00 PDT 2007Buchanan shows down K :D 7 :D and Hellmuth bursts into a tirade. He lectures Buchanan saying, "You bluffed $200,000 against the best player in the world on the top of his game, you wont make it at past the end of the day." Hellmuth finally showed A :club: 6 :D and right before he mucked he told Buchanan, "I see right through your soul."
Apparently you don't, Phil. If you could, you would have seen that I paired the seven on the turn and you would have tried to bluff me on the river!Now sit down, muck your hand, and be quiet!

Is Hellmuth insane? I'm leaning toward yes.

What to learn here? If you're the best player in the world and can see through people's souls, you should know when you have the best hand and you should raise to protect it.
If (or perhaps more appropriately 'given that') Hellmuth knows his opponent's exact two cards, is his best line really to raise? Or is it better to call the flop and allow villain to bluff off more chips. He is a 3:1 favourite on the flop, and stands to lose nothing when his opponent hits.
If (or perhaps more appropriately 'given that') Hellmuth knows his opponent's exact two cards, is his best line really to raise? Or is it better to call the flop and allow villain to bluff off more chips. He is a 3:1 favourite on the flop, and stands to lose nothing when his opponent hits.
QFT, I was thinking that too, but I just didn't say it. Hellmuth is sick enough to "trap" with a pair of sixes.

I got into a hand the other day live, I limped with 5,6s from MP, and there was a small raise from C/O, myself and a few others called.flop was 3,6,8 roughly. we checked it around to C/O who then bet out, it folded to me, and i wasnt feeling my hand, i sensed i was beat, and told the guy, he was playing a weak ace like its a good hand.He shows A,6 off. and I said quietly, "i knew he overvalue's garbage ace's" and the guy to my right said. "there no such thing as garbage wth an ace." thats my extent of my hellmuthian tirades

He is running good in this huge tournament. One hundred players left the average chip stack is a little over 500k and he has 1.8 million. Shawn is down to 46 k. I think that speaks for itself.Update.Shawn Buchanan EliminatedOn a J-9-6-8 board Shawn Buchanan moves all in with 6-6 and is called by his opponent with 10-10. The river is a 7 and Buchanan is sent to the rail. Maybe he can't see into souls but he saw into the future with this guy.

he stands to lose the money already in the pot when his opponent hits, if I know he has 2 overs and is folding to an all-in I push the flop. This is a huge pots given the blinds (3 and 6K I'm guessing).
he stands to lose the money already in the pot when his opponent hits, if I know he has 2 overs and is folding to an all-in I push the flop. This is a huge pots given the blinds (3 and 6K I'm guessing).
ya, but phil hellmuth is better than you. He called with the best hand when his opponent was drawing to 6 outs and checked all the way down when he was behind, that's pretty damn good.
ya, but phil hellmuth is better than you. He called with the best hand when his opponent was drawing to 6 outs and checked all the way down when he was behind, that's pretty damn good.
Here's a fun oneSorel Mizzi Doubles Up Against HellmuthOn a board of A94 Sorel Mizzi bets $80,000 and Phil Hellmuth calls. The turn is the A and Mizzi bets $180,000. Hellmuth goes into the tank then says, "I need a jack!" The river is the J, Mizzi thinks then finally goes all in for his last $323,000. Hellmuth quickly calls but mucks as soon as he sees Mizzi's 99. Mizzi now has $1.5 million and Hellmuth has around 1 million. WTF did the great one have?
Here's a fun oneSorel Mizzi Doubles Up Against HellmuthOn a board of A94 Sorel Mizzi bets $80,000 and Phil Hellmuth calls. The turn is the A and Mizzi bets $180,000. Hellmuth goes into the tank then says, "I need a jack!" The river is the J, Mizzi thinks then finally goes all in for his last $323,000. Hellmuth quickly calls but mucks as soon as he sees Mizzi's 99. Mizzi now has $1.5 million and Hellmuth has around 1 million. WTF did the great one have?
AJ probably.