What is everyone's take on him? Personally, I think he's awful. Everyone talks about how he's a "dark horse" and very good and all. I think he flat out s.ucks.He also claimed his IQ was 184 on TV, while stating that he wasn't at all worried about Johnny Chan. In the same breath that he claimed that he just might win this thing (HU championship) b/c he "doesn't care about the money", and "doesn't have an ego".HA! His ego is enormous!Anyway, I find him highly annoying and highly amatuerish. I've heard he went to MIT, but I doubt his IQ is that f.ucking high.Any thoughts?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. I don't know how he ended up in the HU tourney. I was watching at my parents house and my dad, who knows little to nothing about poker even commented on how terrible and weak he was playing.I think the funniest part or saddest on woods' part was when Chan made a small raise preflop, Woods had Ax, and folded. Firs,t the raise wasn't that big to fold it preflop, and then he showed Chan the ace while folding. He should have just made up a sign that said "I am playing scared".

These Celeb's get confused. They think since they can afford the buy in's it makes them a player, when in reality it only allows them to play..
Yeah they also love to say "well I'm an actor, so I think I have an advantage".LOL. Fuck you.Has anyone else on here "acted" at a live table? Cuz I know I haven't. They seem to think that tells are picked off by the way you carry yourself as opposed to your betting pattern.

Apparently sarcasm goes over your head. He was being sarcastic when he said he'd win because he knew he didn't have a shot. But, I suppose that kinda stuff just goes over the head of an asshat such as yourself.

When he said all that stuff about winning during the interview, I interpreted it all as him just kidding because he knew he was outclassed. Basically, I didn't take anything he said seriously because I know he's got a sense of humor./shrug

His (James Woods) showings on all of the celebrity poker shows I have seen have been average at best. He did pull off one amazing bluff on Chan though.As far as his IQ being that high, I have heard in the past that he has a very high IQ, and I doubt that he would spout off about it if it wasn't that high.For example, my IQ is 167, but I tell people (when it comes up in conversations) that it is 147, so they don't feel too intimidated...lol :wink:

James Woods isn't a total donkey, but I'd gladly bet that there are more than 30 people who post in this forum that are better than him (myself included). I only have a limited amount of exposure to his play, though, so I'm probably not in the best position to judge him. I don't think he's anything special, though.

James Woods the actor? Is he even that rich? I know he ain't got Spiderman-type money. Maybe the guy has seen too many poker movies, where the bad guy always has some ridiculous tell that nobody but the hero can pick up on. Here's James Woods' strategy: "If Johnny Chan eats the oreo, he probably has the hand. If he doesn't, I'll win and pay off Ed Norton's debt."

James Woods is very intelligent, hell he went to MIT.In terms of poker, he isnt the greatest. In his defense though, he is working very hard and that I respect.

Quick comment about all these super duper high IQ scores.The original IQ test was designed to be a bell-shaped distribution with 100 as the mean (average) and a standard deviation of 10. So if you have an IQ of 185, that means your z-score is +8.5, which is on the order of at least 1 in ten billion, if not greater.Whenever someone says they have an IQ over 140 I usually either don't believe them, or assume they didn't take a real IQ test.

Quick comment about all these super duper high IQ scores.The original IQ test was designed to be a bell-shaped distribution with 100 as the mean (average) and a standard deviation of 10. So if you have an IQ of 185, that means your z-score is +8.5, which is on the order of at least 1 in ten billion, if not greater.Whenever someone says they have an IQ over 140 I usually either don't believe them, or assume they didn't take a real IQ test.
perhaps you can point us in the right direction for some "real" IQ tests, and perhaps have the forum regulars all take the same test, to see who can back up what they claim. I have great faith that I will be over the 147 that I tell people and possibly match the 167 that I am... :wink:
Whenever someone says they have an IQ over 140 I usually either don't believe them, or assume they didn't take a real IQ test.
140 isn't all that difficult. I was a 142 or so when I was tested in 3rd grade (I'm 17 almost 18 now, so it was 9 or 10 years ago.) It's not common, but there's no reason not to believe it.
Wow. You are making the obvious mistake of comparing the scale of the "original test" with the results of other tests. That's just silly. Its a little like saying "My full house would have won last hand..." Its an inapt standard.

In the tournaments I've seen him in, he plays way too tight. I know you're supposed to be tight and aggressive but he's like a rock. You need to make some moves and throw in some raises with marginal hands to get some action and push the table around. He just waits for KK and when it doesn't come, he basically gets blinded out. I know they are crappy celebrity tournaments but he plays one hand about 2 hours into the thing and then he's out.

No offense to all you haters of him but he pulled a pretty nice move on Chan in the Head's up Tourney. I was rather impressed with his play against Chan.Just my two cents...
Read my comments above - I stated he made a great bluff on Chan. Check out the Best Bluffs thread too, as I believe I added it to the list there as well.