Random Sports Observations

Hopefully a thread with this title doesn't already exist. Anyway, I posted this elsewhere, but it's probably more appropriate here.

When he thought of this, he must have immediately known that it was a huge winner. I'm jealous of that moment.
  • 2 weeks later...
The Piggyback BanditThe stocky man showed up in a basketball uniform for a game at Century High School in North Dakota. Players and coaches assumed he was a fan who had come with another team, so nobody objected when he began to pitch in around the bench.After the game was over, the man joined the winning team on the court and asked if he could get a piggyback ride. One bemused player gave it to him."He makes himself appear as if he's limited or handicapped. I think he plays an empathy card, so to speak," Haussler said. "We didn't realize what we were dealing with until several days later."What they were dealing with the night of Feb. 4 was the Piggyback Bandit -- Sherwin Shayegan of Bothell, Wash., a 28-year-old man who ingratiates himself with high school sports teams, then hoists his 5-foot-8, 240-pound frame onto the backs of the student athletes.
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
This is pretty great."Bad Sports Rhetoric"No broadcaster, writer, or commentator may produce quality Bad Sports Rhetoric without mastery of the EMOTIONAL TAUTOLOGY. It is the basic block in this game of football, the layup in this game of hoops, and the basic two-foot putt of Bad Sports Rhetoric golf.1. Enclose all unsupported statements in EMOTIONAL TAUTOLOGY, i.e. "That thing you said is true, but I maintain my stance in the face of all data because I still believe it, and thus reassert it while dismissing your argument that I just made up here on the spot."EmotionalTautology_medium.png
  • 4 weeks later...
Next year, for the espy's Dramatic speech at the end, maybe you don't pick a guy who has aspergers to give it. JFC that was painful to watch.
Are you talking about LeGrand? Because my DVR cut-out after the LeBron acceptance and I missed at least one award.
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Canada plays Panama in Panama today in a World Cup Soccer qualifer.

This was the scene outside the Canadian Hotel all night in an effort to keep them from being able to sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

So I had an idea that just occurred to me. I have the handwriting of a special needs pre teenager, just horrible chicken scratch. So, I figured I might as well turn this to my advantage. I'm going to buy the sports cards of the top 20 players in the 3 major sports, and mail them to the teams with an SASE, and write them all hand written letters, saying what a big fan I am and asking for their autograph. I won't out and out say that I'm a child, but my hand writing should imply it, and I won't bust out my top flight SAT douchebag vocabulary. If I get 10% to send me autographs, I could make my money back, I bet.

So I had an idea that just occurred to me. I have the handwriting of a special needs pre teenager, just horrible chicken scratch. So, I figured I might as well turn this to my advantage. I'm going to buy the sports cards of the top 20 players in the 3 major sports, and mail them to the teams with an SASE, and write them all hand written letters, saying what a big fan I am and asking for their autograph. I won't out and out say that I'm a child, but my hand writing should imply it, and I won't bust out my top flight SAT douchebag vocabulary. If I get 10% to send me autographs, I could make my money back, I bet.

This will be a great case study..I like you to report your numbers...I am willing to bet the higher the salary , the less likelihood of a return.

Reminds me of the morons who thought the Onion article about how most US travelers abroad are saying they actually Canadians. Many believed it.

Canada plays Panama in Panama today in a World Cup Soccer qualifer.

This was the scene outside the Canadian Hotel all night in an effort to keep them from being able to sleep.

How stupid, all you need to do to keep a Canadian awake is tell him that people don't like him.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This USA-Costa Rica match is insane, I can't believe they didn't cancel the match. I wish all soccer was in the snow.

I caught the end of it last night, and it's probably the only time I've ever kept the channel on a soccer game. I was shocked when they said it was in Denver. I took a look outside and it was everywhere.

• 2 years later...

I think this FIFA indictment is 100% sour grapes about the US not getting the world cup in 2022. If FIFA had just given us the cup, instead of shitty Qatar, this investigation never would have went down. But, I think someone at the Justice Dept is a soccer fan, and is pulling a Valcheck about this, so instead of going after Bank of America or something, they are going HAM at FIFA. I'd be more cynical about it, but 1500 people have already died in Qatar, building the stadiums, so the sooner they get the Cup pulled, the better. I do think this has ensured the US will never, ever get the world cup again, at least in the lifetimes of anyone involved in FIFA today.

• 1 year later...

Kinda bummed del Potro didn't win the gold. I watched his first round win and he was phenomenal in it. Still played a hell of a match today.